Airbridge oddities

Old May 5, 18, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Airbridge oddities

Just got off TLS-LHR and experienced a bit of a weird set of circumstances with the airbridge. We arrived at one of T5A's bridge stands and the crew announced that we would be leaving from the back and into the bus. But I was in 1A so I saw that the airbridge was attached to the aircraft and, when I left, looked into the galley to see that door 1L was open. Why would this be done?
hugolover likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
The last time I had this happen was when we arrived on the low numbered A gate stands which are for domestics only.
Old May 5, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The reason is because it was an international flight arriving on to a domestic gate. So the passengers cannot disembark through 1L and in to the terminal They must be bussed to an international drop off point in order to go through immigration.

The air bridge will be attached to door 1L for the following departure. And as the steps canít be put on to the front of the aircraft due to lack of space as the air bridge is in the way, it has to be steps at door 2L.

Not ideal for those in club, but unfortunately itís the only way! Itís a fairly rare occurrence, but does happen, especially during the busy summer schedule.

Hopefully this explination is helpful!

Old May 5, 18, 7:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are a few gates that can be switched between CTA and international arrivals, such as 8 and 23, but gate 1 is way into CTA land.

Happily for our valiant traveller, he is now ensconced into 1A on his onward connection, with the full airbridge service from gate 3.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Hmm, I've had this a couple of times before, yet we were still allowed to use the jet bridge. The only difference being was that everyone was ushered down the stairs at the end of the jet bridge, across the tarmac and on to a waiting bus.

Although I think both times was on A6, so maybe this isn't possible at the lower numbered gates?
Old May 5, 18, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
This is one of the most infuriating design features of T5. Nevermind that there are bus gates at all (inexcusable for a modern-built hub) but that they didn't find a way with all the space of T5 to have separate corridors to allow gates to go back and forth without the use of buses.
markle and jfallesen like this.
Old May 5, 18, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
This is one of the most infuriating design features of T5. Nevermind that there are bus gates at all (inexcusable for a modern-built hub) but that they didn't find a way with all the space of T5 to have separate corridors to allow gates to go back and forth without the use of buses.
I genuinely can’t think of a hub airport modern or otherwise that doesn’t have coaching gates.

T5 might be a modern terminal but it’s tagged onto a very old airport. To add a further pier would involve moving the fuel storage and the fire station neither of which are easy. There would still be a few off pier stands in the Y cul de sac anyhow.

Some of the coaching is generated by the peculiarities of the UK border with domestic, common travel area, and the rest all needing slightly different routes into arrivals.
Old May 5, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
@JumbodriverMost AA hubs that does little or no bus gate...
Old May 5, 18, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
Enabling ALL gates to handle both domestic and international flights would have added an enormous amount to the construction cost, as it would have required an extra level. For not a huge benefit, since this doesn't seem to happen that often.
Old May 5, 18, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Alitalia Freccia Alata, 9 stamps on my CaffŤ Nero card.
Similar reason why I hate flying SN to BRU. 9/10 they need the plane at the A gates which means you dock the A terminal but they put everyone on a single bus back to the B gates for passport control. Such a waste of time on a 45min flight.
Old May 5, 18, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
@JumbodriverMost AA hubs that does little or no bus gate...
I have just been to the eagles nest yesterday at LAX. Most annoying bussing I have ever experienced

plenty of airports around Europe bus unfortunately
Old May 5, 18, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kumulani View Post
Enabling ALL gates to handle both domestic and international flights would have added an enormous amount to the construction cost, as it would have required an extra level. For not a huge benefit, since this doesn't seem to happen that often.
indeed. As someone with quite a bit of domestic flying from T5 over the years I can say probably less than 5% of my flights have involved bussing on arrival or departure. Configuring the whole teriminal for the sake of avoiding any bussing would be a lot of money for a small issue:
kosy91 and SpeedbirdLHR like this.
Old May 5, 18, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I have just been to the eagles nest yesterday at LAX. Most annoying bussing I have ever experienced
AA at MIA also does a fair bit of bus transfers too.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old May 5, 18, 10:30 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
You haven't flown to FRA very often then. Getting a bus is the norm there, on BA at least.
Old May 6, 18, 12:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
AA at MIA also does a fair bit of bus transfers too.
And AA also has the dread Gate 35X at DCA, which has gotten bad enough that the airport authority is spending $400 million to tetris a new commuter terminal into scarce land on airport grounds to replace it. (Despite chronic overcrowding at DCA itself, it remains the preferred airport for US domestic air travel into the Washington DC area because the location is so much better than Dulles or Baltimore)

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...just-one-gate/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: