Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier points on AA internal flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
You weren't on a BA ticket as part of a longer trip by any chance? For TP/Avios earning, it's the marketing carrier that counts, so even though you were on AA metal, on that route a Silver booked into S would earn 10TP/606 on a BA flight number.
No it was simple return ticket booked entirely through AA on their website, just threw my BAEC# on the booking as you do. My thought was that maybe S fares are no longer lowest but simply low fares and BA forgot to update it on the TP/Avios calculator labeling.

EDIT: I did just notice that if I put in that it was a BA flight (i.e. BA codeshare) on the same ORD-ATL route into the TP/Avios calcualtor that S class fares show up in the Low fare bracket earning 10TPs and 606Avios (again w/ Silv bonus). So maybe that is the explanation of why I was awarded more TPs then the calculator claims I should have got when looking under an AA flight (which is actually what I booked). I wonder does that issue hold for other booking classes that don't match up between AA and BA...?

Last edited by mccartje; May 4, 2018 at 3:46 am
Old May 4, 2018, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by etiene
You need to look at the fare code, not the cabin description. Unless you're in First on JFK-SFO/LAX or reverse, you'll only get business TPs [40/140].
Even 140 will tip me over. So I should be good.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by mccartje
No it was simple return ticket booked entirely through AA on their website, just threw my BAEC# on the booking as you do. My thought was that maybe S fares are no longer lowest but simply low fares and BA forgot to update it on the TP/Avios calculator labeling.
Certainly possible.

With the somewhat "fragile" state of BA's IT I'd probably still put my money on "IT error in your favour" Not that you'll be going wild with your unexpected bonus whatever the reason but every little helps I guess!
mccartje likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:45 am
Original Poster

I've booked the flights via AA.com because I couldn't do it on BA.

Is there anyway to get this flight to appear on my BA app or in my BA bookings? Would be nice to have it all in the same place.
I booked "first class" but the booking code is "I", Checked on the BA calculator, should net me 140TP. Meaning for the year end I'll have 625. So happily Silver again next year.

Also, the flight is 2548 and the booking confirmation says it is aircraft 32B. Now seatguru says that this is that plane. 1 - 1 "pods". https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...s_A321_new.php
However in the seat selection part on AA.com it was giving me a cabin that was 2 - 2. Like this. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...us_A321_V3.php

Odd?

Last edited by cupsandsaucers; May 4, 2018 at 4:53 am
Old May 4, 2018, 5:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers

Is there anyway to get this flight to appear on my BA app or in my BA bookings? Would be nice to have it all in the same place.
I booked "first class" but the booking code is "I", Checked on the BA calculator, should net me 140TP. Meaning for the year end I'll have 625. So happily Silver again next year.
If BA.com isn't able to pull up your itinerary using your AA PNR, you can use a tool like Finnair.com, search by e-ticket number, and find the Amadeus PNR for ba.com. For bonus points, if you haven't already, you can add your BAEC number in Finnair's interface as well.

Also, the flight is 2548 and the booking confirmation says it is aircraft 32B. Now seatguru says that this is that plane. 1 - 1 "pods". https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...s_A321_new.php
However in the seat selection part on AA.com it was giving me a cabin that was 2 - 2. Like this. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am...us_A321_V3.php

Odd?
The F cabin is 1-1, the J cabin is 2-2. If you're confirmed on an I-class fare, you'll be seated in the 2-2 business class cabin on a 32B.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A

Odd?
The F cabin is 1-1, the J cabin is 2-2. If you're confirmed on an I-class fare, you'll be seated in the 2-2 business class cabin on a 32B.
I don't know the OP's travel date, but looking at EF for a few dates in October, AA2548 SFO-MIA was listed in the availability display as being a 32B but displaying a 2-class aircraft with the same cabin for both "first" and "business", that appears to match this seatguru seat map:-
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing SFO on 04/10/18 for MIA
Flying AA flight 2548 in First (3-cabin flights only), Business/2-Cabin Domestic First, Economy

A   C       D   F   
1       +   +       +   +       
2       +   +       +   +       
3       +   +       +   +       
4       +   +       +   +       
        A   C       D   F
Code:
        A   B   C       D   E   F   
8       #   #   #       X   X   X       
9       #   #   #       #   #   #       
10      #   #   #       #   #   #       
11  E   #   #   #       #   #       E   
12  E   #   #   #       #   #   #   E   
13      #   #   #       #   #   #       
14  W   #   #   #       #   #   #   W   
15  W   #   #   #       #   #   #   W   
16  W   #   +   #       #   +   #   W   
17  W   #   +   #       #   +   #   W   
18  W   +   -   -       +   +   +   W   
19  W   +   +   +       +   +   +   W   
20  W   +   +   +       +   +   +   W   
21  W   +   +   +       +   +   +   W   
22  W   L               +   +   +   W   
23      L               +   +   +       

24  E       #   #       #   #       E   
25  E   #   +   +       +   +   #   E   
26      +   +   +       +   +   +       
27      +   +   +       +   +   +       
28      +   +   +       +   +   +       
29      +   +   +       +   +   +       
30      +   +   +       +   +   +       
31      X   X   X       X   X   X       
32      +   +   +       +   +   +       
33      +   +   +       +   +   +       
34      +   +   +       +   +   +       
35      +   +   +       +   +   +       
36      X   X   X       X   X   X       
Old May 4, 2018, 5:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

If your booking is made with AA and does not include any BA coded or operated flights there will not be a BA PNR created and it wouldn't be shown in your BAEC page future bookings list.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Travel date is 11th Sep. We can't be in business if there is a F because I picked row 2. We must be on the version with 2+2 in F/J. Strange it says 32B though. Would much prefer the 32B.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
This is also a useful points tool - which doesn't require you to log in to the shambolic BA website: https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/bacalc/
SussexFly likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Travel date is 11th Sep. We can't be in business if there is a F because I picked row 2. We must be on the version with 2+2 in F/J. Strange it says 32B though. Would much prefer the 32B.
There are a few routes where the three class configured A321 operates but in a two class mode - i.e. only sold with economy and business selling classes, for example on JFK-BOS. If you are booked on a business selling class you get seated in the front 1+1 cabin. I think the 2+2 cabin is used for economy status holders, and the rest in economy. You would still have a business selling class even if sat in the front cabin. The only domestic A321 routes operated as true three class flights are JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO.

For two class domestic routes the front cabin is always marketed as first although booked in a business selling class.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The seat map for 11 September looks like the same as that which I've posted above. So it's not a 32B.

I suppose the AA board might have some information as to why "32B" is the displayed aircraft type in the flight availability display of the GDS.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
From lurking a bit on the AA board before my trip last month I think AA use 32B for both the Transcon product and the more common two class A321 birds (some are ex-US Airways, I think there are some "legacy AA" birds in this/very similar config too).

Unless something highly unusual happens, SFO-MIA would be the two-class with 2-2 recliners in "First".
Old May 4, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
From lurking a bit on the AA board before my trip last month I think AA use 32B for both the Transcon product and the more common two class A321 birds (some are ex-US Airways, I think there are some "legacy AA" birds in this/very similar config too).

Unless something highly unusual happens, SFO-MIA would be the two-class with 2-2 recliners in "First".
Yes, thank you. I just asked this on the AA board and received the same answer. Not a thrilling looking bird/seats. But Hopefully I'll manage to nod off.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Yes, thank you. I just asked this on the AA board and received the same answer. Not a thrilling looking bird/seats. But Hopefully I'll manage to nod off.
They were fine for ORD-SFO, I'd be less thrilled for a redeye if that's what you're on but they do beat Y.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by lincolnite
This is also a useful points tool - which doesn't require you to log in to the shambolic BA website: https://www.owenrudge.net/utils/bacalc/
I also finally updated it yesterday to take account of the recent-ish AA earning changes (and a few others) - apologies for the delay in doing so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.