Tier points on AA internal flights?

Old May 4, 2018, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Tier points on AA internal flights?

Trying to work out how many tier points I will have at the end of the year. I've been using the excellent guide here - https://insideflyer.co.uk/2016/09/br...ns-part-one-l/ but it doesnt have internal AA flights listed. Does anyone know how many tier points I will collect flying from San Francisco to Miami (One way) in Premium economy or similar. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Have you tried using the Avios and Tier point calculator on ba.com?
orbitmic and navylad like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also there is no premium economy on internal US flights
Old May 4, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Does anyone know how many tier points I will collect flying from San Francisco to Miami (One way) in Premium economy or similar.
And if the ba.com calculator doesn't give you the answer, might this help: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25365578-post70.html?
orbitmic and cupsandsaucers like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
Have you tried using the Avios and Tier point calculator on ba.com?
Well thats embarrassing... I didn't even know that existed! thank you kindly. (answer is 90).
Old May 4, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
There is a confusing terminology with AA, that for many years have used 'Main Cabin Extra' for the seats in front of the Y cabin. Slightly more space, service and, for BAEC, TP credit equal to rest of coach. The Premium economy concept is being rolled out presently, but as @BillyBleach correctly states above, doesn't exist in the domestic system (yet?). There are still many international flights without any PE.

MCE seats are available to AA/OW elite members and full-fare Y pax.

Last edited by onobond; May 4, 2018 at 3:02 am Reason: adding info
Old May 4, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
There is a confusing terminology with AA, that for many years have used 'Main Cabin Extra' for the seats in front of the Y cabin. Slightly more space, service equal to rest of coach. The Premium economy concept is being rolled out presently, but as @BillyBleach correctly states above, doesn't exist in the domestic system (yet?). There are still many international flights without any PE.

MCE seats are available to AA/OW elite members and full-fare Y pax.
MCE is available of course but I assume the OP is more interested in the increased TP
Old May 4, 2018, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
Also there is no premium economy on internal US flights
What classes are there?
Old May 4, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

OK, looks like I am going to end up with 565 points at the end of the year. (If I got 90 between San Fran and Miami... Hmmmm. Need to jiggle this somewhat. Maybe splurge and go business San Fran to Miami, Assuming 140 collected for that trip, that would see me retain Silver.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
What classes are there?
Either Main Cabin / First or Main Cabin / Business / First.

I am not sure how routes are sold when using long haul planes, 787 comes to mind when it was first launched between ORD and DFW (IIRC).

If you need TPs I would double check this, I did a quick search in May and only Main Cabin / First was on sale.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:09 am

I flew a domestic AA route (ORD-ATL-ORD) January this year. Booked a basic fare (in S). Checked what I'd get on the BA award calculator, S fares due to get 5 tier points and 456Avios (w/ Silver bonus) but I ended up getting 10 tier points and 606 Avios for both legs. Not sure why the discrepancy but not complaining obviously.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Yeah they don't seem to have business, just economy or first. However First seems very reasonable. So good news is I should retain silver fairly comfortably this year.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by BillyBleach

MCE is available of course but I assume the OP is more interested in the increased TP
Yes, you're quite right about that. I just added inf to previous post.

What classes are there?
On the large majority of flights 2 class config Premium cabin (confusingly called both First and Business, but I,J,D and C fare classes) and coach. On transcons JFK to LAX and SFO 3 class cabins, First (A,P), Business (I,J,D & C) and coach. A small minority of American Eagle aircraft only has coach. Not any longer, but for some years at least one daily LAX-MIA vv was a 777 with 3 class config, but First cabin sold as First/Business with business fare codes and credit. This still happens at peak seasons LAX-HNL (X-mas and NY), and also last year on the JFK-MIA route. Seat assignment to F cabin on 3 class domestic flights reserved for AA/OW elites and fullfare business fare pax
Old May 4, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by mccartje
...ended up getting 10 tier points and 606 Avios for both legs. Not sure why the discrepancy but not complaining obviously.
You weren't on a BA ticket as part of a longer trip by any chance? For TP/Avios earning, it's the marketing carrier that counts, so even though you were on AA metal, on that route a Silver booked into S would earn 10TP/606 on a BA flight number.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Yeah they don't seem to have business, just economy or first. However First seems very reasonable. So good news is I should retain silver fairly comfortably this year.
You need to look at the fare code, not the cabin description. Unless you're in First on JFK-SFO/LAX or reverse, you'll only get business TPs [40/140].

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.