Wiki Posts
Search

Are GUF1s worth the faff?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are GUF1s worth the faff?

With all the caveats of it depends, what do you value, etc... just wondering what people's thoughts are on GUF1s. With a recent need to trek to the west coast and an unbelievable milage run deal that I'm about to book, I could get from 2600 ish TPs to 3450 before the end of my year. It requires about 24 hours of travel on the return, including a round-trip to Jersey, and of course a number of AA flights. Having never flown this much in a year, I'm unsure if they are worthwhile or not? I will be going to Oz in the next year, so it would be quite pleasant to be able to do it in First. But... are they easy enough to actually use?

The other thing I'm kicking around is whether I should do a status challenge on AA or another alliance with this trip... anyway, thoughts welcome!
Old May 3, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well if you value it at 50k Avios - I don't think it's worth it at all. However, if you can use Propeller or similar to GUF an exEU from J to F for just over 2,000 then I think it is decent and a comfy way to get to Oz.... then again you can buy ARN-SYD on Etihad for around 1,700 at the moment, so there are many factors to consider...
Old May 3, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
I haven't had a chance to use any of my GUF's since getting them in September (GUF2) and October (GUF1s) because the availability has never been there. That said, those have all been for work trips and I'm sure, should I look at doing something more vacation-like, I'd look for availability, rather than chancing/hoping I can get any use out of them. I guess what I'm saying is that the value of them would be subjective / dependent on how you book/prioritise your travel, more than anything.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Its what they are worth to you (I know that sounds trite) For as Us as a family of four, theyve been worth several thousand pounds each time as its meant we can go as a 4 in Club somewhere long haul in peak season - recently years Tokyo, Vancouver, LAX and Denver later this summer. Probably helps if you are GGL, and have Jokers,as weve found availability easy on these flights.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Agreed, probably most valuable to GGL members as combined with Jokers, they can be very valuable.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Agree that having jokers really brings out the value of the GUFs. We're a family of four and we managed to get ex-OSL to California in WTP in August for around 550 euros per person and then upgrade to CW. That's pretty decent value.
Last20 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I think they are excellent value. You need to remember too that if you use a TA to book then they can also book into revenue classes without the need for Avios availability.
Cymro and DeltaFlyingProf like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Sirkay - thats a lovely use of the Gufs, well done sir.
sirkay likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Mrs PtF and I are currently sitting on two GUF2s, one of which has already been the subject of a six month extension and expires in two months. As things stand, and given our strong preference for QR long-haul, theyll probably end up being used for nothing more exciting than ET to CE upgrades. Id sooner receive some Avios instead of GUFs.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:56 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Find it near impossible for two people to burn through 3x GUF2 and 4xGUF1 every year...

Lucky to get the full value of 2, the rest? Usually end up blowing most on one ways, using GUF2 for one or on CE returns to GVA or DUB... cant even give them away to younger college age siblings/niece or nephews unless theres avios availability.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Mike P
Agreed, probably most valuable to GGL members as combined with Jokers, they can be very valuable.
......although my recent experience is that the back office has refused to open up CW availability for a Joker on a LHR-LAX 388 despite expertflyer showing that every fare bucket is wide open and the GGL line customer services wouldnt explain why.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by amt
Find it near impossible for two people to burn through 3x GUF2 and 4xGUF1 every year...

Lucky to get the full value of 2, the rest? Usually end up blowing most on one ways, using GUF2 for one or on CE returns to GVA or DUB... cant even give them away to younger college age siblings/niece or nephews unless theres avios availability.
Book via a TA and get vast availability
Old May 4, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
I love them! I agree it helps if you are GGL with jokers to use.

My last lot of GUFs were used to book x4 First flights from AMS-LHR-JNB for 6k in the school holidays. Those that fly to JNB will appreciate how much of a bargain that is! Plus we get TPs and Avios.
Cymro likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
I do not get many of these but I have used them all for WTP-CW on longhaul - CPT, AUS, and LAS were all GUF2s, and a GUF1 was used for MIA - all ex-Lon and generally using DIF as the cash fare. I have one more GUF1 to use, it expires in 3 months but you can use it for a year after that. Value wise I tend to extract about 1800-2500 per person on them at the point I am ready to book - the South Africa flight was the best value. They are definitely worth the faff when you use a TA to book them.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Trying to use them to upgrade Avios bookings, they've been useless (and therefore worthless) to me. Using a TA like Propeller to upgrade in to revenue fares they've saved me thousands ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.