Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY-DUB-LCY short turn/2 tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
As you say you’re extremely unlikely to have time to collect bags in DUB & recheck before check-in closes so that option is ruled out. Therefore check in deadlines wouldn’t apply assuming you’ve checked in online successfully before you leave London.

3 hrs 15 mins would be fine for hand baggage to traverse London, but adding in a stop on the way means it isn’t risk free.

Are the LHR options drastically more expensive?
Yeah, they are thanks to APD and increased fares originating London (it's a PE fare, so APD is particularly unpleasant). Difference is about 350GBP and makes it not worth it...

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
WIhilst it maybe the same plane you do have to clear Irish passport control and security (so it’s not like the past where you could get off and on the same plane as arrivals and departures weren’t separated.) and that takes time.

Check the ‘turnaround’ thread for more info and a useful pictorial guide to doing this at DUB

its not clear if your DUB-LCY LHR-HKG are on the same day but if they are remember that bag drop closes 1 hour before departure so you’d only have 2 and and bit hours to get from LCY to LHR - including collecting your luggage from your hotel. Using left luggage at LCY might be an option to save time.
Thanks, I think I've decided to abandon this mission since I found a slightly more expensive fare on CX originating MAD that still works for me.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
No way I'd see that timing as safe if I had to get to a hotel to pick up bags as well. Sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant, but you're trying to get all the way across town and out the other side, and if the DLR hits a snag you're down to surface streets only (and you really don't want to try and get from LCY to LHR in a car).

This is one of those transfers that probably runs like a dream the vast majority of the time. But your next leg is HKG and I am guessing missing that is not an option. So if there's a left luggage option at LCY (and I didn't know there was as I'd never need it) then 100% that's the way I'd go.

Hope that helps
Yeah, was stuck on the Jubilee line this morning (down due to power outages) and decided this was way too risky...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by no2chem
Yeah, was stuck on the Jubilee line this morning (down due to power outages) and decided this was way too risky...
and Piccadilly Line was also rather evil this morning too...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:11 am

Yeah, they are thanks to APD and increased fares originating London (it's a PE fare, so APD is particularly unpleasant). Difference is about 350GBP and makes it not worth it...
I didn’t mean starting at LHR, I meant was the fare ex-DUB on an LHR connecting service (BA or EI) rather than via LCY much more expensive (I know it can be)?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card

Thanks, I think I've decided to abandon this mission since I found a slightly more expensive fare on CX originating MAD that still works for me.

I also had the joys of the Jub line this morning. Hangover from the serious outage that they were grappling with for much of yesterday.

So this CX flight from MAD - does that mean you're abandoning the LCY / DUB flight also? Just straight LHR >> MAD >> HKG?

If so, then FYI the T4S lounge at MAD I like a lot - food's only average but the views are great if you like that sort of thing. So depending on your flight connection, it's worth popping in.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I didn’t mean starting at LHR, I meant was the fare ex-DUB on an LHR connecting service (BA or EI) rather than via LCY much more expensive (I know it can be)?

Ah. I was trying to avoid that since I had checked bags, the LCY-DUB / DUB-LHR "connection" only had an hour, plus I felt it was more risky if there was a mechanical issues. No way that my bag would arrive off the belt in time and that I'd be able to re-check it to LHR without issues.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
I also had the joys of the Jub line this morning. Hangover from the serious outage that they were grappling with for much of yesterday.

So this CX flight from MAD - does that mean you're abandoning the LCY / DUB flight also? Just straight LHR >> MAD >> HKG?

If so, then FYI the T4S lounge at MAD I like a lot - food's only average but the views are great if you like that sort of thing. So depending on your flight connection, it's worth popping in.
Indeed, just booking a LHR-MAD and then MAD-HKG-TPE-HKG-MXP. Fortunately had 24 hours to cancel. Unfortunately, I just got an e-mail that my return flight to the US is canceled, so now I have to deal with that too. MXP-LHR-SJC so not sure what my rerouting options are ... (yeah, that was OT)

I guess cause of APD all PE flights out of the UK appear to be extremely uncompetitive. Combine that with lower BF ex-DUB or ex-spain...

Last edited by no2chem; Apr 27, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Conformance is NOT the issue - the bag drop deadline is the issue and that is 60 mins for HKG
Although all academic now for the OP, I believe that the T5 bag drop deadline is still T-45m. You must be checked-in by T-60m but you still have a further window for bag drop until T-45m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.