Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh BA check in desks been enhanced?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Edinburgh BA check in desks been enhanced?

Travelling from Edinburgh down to LHR this morning I saw the area to the left, as you walk in the main terminal and where BA were situated, had all the assistance desks and self service machines, is now a big empty space.

Only 2 desks and 2 lanes with the BA logos, 1 line for Gold, Silver and Bronze which have been moved from their previous location and is now situated in the middle of the main check in desks there.

1 entrance and line for all other passengers.

There was a bit of a queue building up in both lanes, some of whom had lots of luggage. I wanted paper boarding passes but gave up and just downloaded them on the App.

Hearing through the grapevine that the floor space where BA used to be was needed by Edinburgh Airport for other airlines, not sure whom as yet.

Apparently this is going to be the way now so wondering of others experiences recently as it has only been done in the last week or so I am told. I'd certainly advise from what I seen if this is the way now with only 2 lines open and your checking in luggage I'd advise to arrive a bit earlier than usual if today was anything to go by.

I should have taken a photo but was in a little bit of a rush but will post one when I return next week.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:25 pm

I did not manage to keep up with the changes to BA check-in at EDI. Every few months over the recent year there seemed to have been a different arrangement.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I did not manage to keep up with the changes to BA check-in at EDI. Every few months over the recent year there seemed to have been a different arrangement.
From what I can gather Edinburgh Airport are pulling the strings here a bit and they apparently tell the airlines where they can have desks. The BA desks were in the previous bit for quite some time after their move from their long established desks where Qatar now are. (Far right of the main check in desks area)

There have been a few other shuffles around with other airlines too I have noticed. Definitely less staff than before from what I saw today.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:08 pm

A friend of mine works for Edinburgh Airport and says it's one of the main problems at the moment, he didn't mention BA specifically last time we spoke but did say checkin desks were being shifted around like a game of musical chairs and with all the seasonal summer flights/new routes it's only getting worse. I think theres even a direct flight to China now and a CX flight is on the cards.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calum
A friend of mine works for Edinburgh Airport and says it's one of the main problems at the moment, he didn't mention BA specifically last time we spoke but did say checkin desks were being shifted around like a game of musical chairs and with all the seasonal summer flights/new routes it's only getting worse. I think theres even a direct flight to China now and a CX flight is on the cards.
Thanks Calum, I thought there had been some other shuffling and it's going to be mad this summer, again! Thankfully I can ravel outwith holiday periods however I certainly got the vibe that big queues for BA will happen. More airlines but less desks or desk sharing.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I checked in with AA on Saturday, they’re now dumped with Jet2 by domestic arrivals. You have to take your tagged bags to the makeshift belt they’ve constructed, a little like when connecting in the US. They check your baggage receipt and pop your bags on the belt.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Im passing through EDI in 2 weeks again so will have a look then.

I never found where the Check In Desks at EDI really very convenient at all on the off chance I was checking in a bag.

Hopefully if they have been moved to a more central location it will minimize walking but no doubt at the expense of long queues.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
As long as there's some light bulbs over the check-in desks. The previous Business class check-in was really dark and for someone who has to lipread and needs light for it - that desk was a real pain! Will be interesting to see where new desk are c/w lights overhead! I'll be there in July but HBO.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I checked in with AA on Saturday, they’re now dumped with Jet2 by domestic arrivals. You have to take your tagged bags to the makeshift belt they’ve constructed, a little like when connecting in the US. They check your baggage receipt and pop your bags on the belt.
You mean Jet 2 are "dumped" with AA more like!...esp as Jet 2 operate somewhat more flights ex EDI than AA.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks Calum, I thought there had been some other shuffling and it's going to be mad this summer, again! Thankfully I can ravel outwith holiday periods however I certainly got the vibe that big queues for BA will happen. More airlines but less desks or desk sharing.
The problems spill over from the check in desks, gates/stands during peak time are also proving hard to come by. Given how outdated EDI is, I'm surprised there isnt a new terminal coming. EDI is on track to handle 15M pax this year, around the same as WAW or PRG, yet the facilities are no where near the level of either. Even YOW is probably more suitable.
nivsy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.