Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary denial of boarding, please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:21 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by louie-m
This is BA we are talking about. The only thing that the management of BA think about is money. If a lawyer can ensure that this incident costs BA a lot of money then they might do something to ensure it does not happen again. Otherwise fat chance they will be in the slightest bit concerned (possibly unless it makes the papers). They lost their moral compass a long time ago.
Then the OP risks advance outlay. Take it from someone who has won a case and is financially worse off than if he hadn't taken up the case, that going legal isn't without its risks and it's best to try other routes first. OP says that compensation isn't her first priority. I would still try with Head of Customer Experience which doesn't prevent the OP taking legal action and in my view demonstrates that she tried to get it dealt with internally in the first place which puts her in a stronger position IMHO. Also we don't know yet whether it is a systemic failure or a one-off SNAFU. I think it pays to be pragmatic. better to have information voluntarily from an organisation rather than wait for disclosure from a legal team playing things tactically. So get information as to why it happened and how it happened first is better than waiting for it to come from a litigation department that feels it is better tactically for them to hold on to the information as long as possible.

I am President of a charity involved with disability issues, and if things are to change systematically, the legal way is not the only way. There re very wide issues with disability access across the transport industry and there needs to be a change in hearts and minds. There are more ways than one to skin a cat and the timing is important on which order you do it in.

Information is power. Information first, assess risks of legal action versus voluntary settlements - and then decide on next step.
Calchas and MADPhil like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Again, read my post carefully, I do not advocate contacting a lawyer to sue for $$, indeed the Act I discuss does not even provide a private cause of action to do so. In the US, a well written regulatory complaint of this nature will result likely in corrective action by the airline, which is what matters. Nothing changes if people do not use these mechanisms to nail noncompliant companies to the wall.
I am quite certain that these facts would result in a disability rights organization helping the OP craft a meaningful complaint to the appropriate regulator, which for this Act is the DOT.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I have managed to check in online, so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will be flying home.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Deniedboardinghelp
I have managed to check in online, so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will be flying home.
I hope it all goes well.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Best of luck for a smooth trip!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Good news, and I wish you a very pleasant flight back home. Please report back to us how your journey was, if you can.

I am very sorry you have had to endure this tremendeously stressful experience, and I sincerely hope BA will reach out to you to recompense.
Here's to a safe flight back home, without any unpleasant surprises!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Information first, assess risks of legal action versus voluntary settlements - and then decide on next step.
Bearing in mind OP is already mentioning the lack of proactive (or indeed any) contact from BA I wouldn't be very confident of a quick solution.

However I do agree, this needs some careful reflection, there is no benefit in getting lawyers involved straight away.

BA will no doubt try and fob the OP off with the usual platitudes but bearing in mind the OP's desire for privacy it may be that this will be marked down to experience and the thread left as an indication that others need to manage their service expectations, even in First Class.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:14 am

Very pleased to hear this, Deniedboardinghelp. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to come back and update us on the situation, during what was must have been a really trying experience for you. I hope you have a smooth and pleasant trip home, and likewise with ensuring your expenses are fully reimbursed and BA make up to you for this awful experience somehow.

Regarding several things discussed already: many of the issues you describe or which have come up in the thread are very familiar from the discussions I've had with various people about their experiences of being disabled.

To name just a few:
  1. The requirement for significant advance planning and knowledge, far above and beyond what non-disabled people have to know in order to simply get around.
  2. The huge disruption that (for example) an equipment swap or another unexpected change can have on someone's wellbeing, not simply whether they 'enjoyed the flight'
  3. The barely disguised disbelief around someone's specific needs/requirements by service providers, who too often make assumptions about whether someone looks 'disabled enough' - along with the linked expectation that disabled people must justify themselves and explain the precise nature of their impairment to disbelieving strangers
  4. The desire for privacy, and to simply get from A to B with as little fuss, curiosity, or unwanted attention as possible - just like almost anyone else.
I'd also agree that here on FT, there is sometimes an assumption that everyone knows the ins/outs of aviation legislation, and can recall the relevant details in the middle of a highly stressful situation to advocate for themselves - which is simply not the case.

It doesn't matter whether someone is disabled or not, if you're suddenly confronted by something unexpected like this (and don't have the right knowledge - which is not helped if the airline doesn't inform you of your legal rights!) then it is very hard to make a 'rational', 'sensible' and well-informed decision as to the best next steps.

As I said above - I hope you have a really great flight home, and remain a part of the BA FT community.

Last edited by squawk; Apr 25, 2018 at 2:16 am Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:24 am

My mother was a wheel chair passenger at the end of her travelling days. She checked in for an F flight, and BA said there were no staff to take her to the lounge, and she was just wheeled to the gate and dumped for 2 hours. Complaining got nowhere with BA and we were just given the runaround. She never traveled on BA by herself after that, and BA could not care less.

I agree, BA treats its passengers very poorly on occasions.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I want to reiterate my thanks yet again to everyone here for your support during this. Many of the messages here have helped me to feel less alone and much more informed during this process and some posts such as squawk's above express, far better than I can, some of the issues faced by disabled travelers.

I received a reply from You First this morning which I think is positive:

"I do apologise for the delay in responding to you. We have had higher than normal email volumes and have tried to get to all as quickly as possible. I have spoken to Customer Relations today and had them update your case with your most recent emails. Your case reference is (redacted). Someone should be in contact with you soon. They have advised that they will be able to compensate you for inconvenience and additional costs, including the taxi."
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just noticed this thread so it's good to see you'll soon be on your way.

Did BA offer to allow your husband to stay with you or did he take the original flight?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The OP has been by herself since the original flight
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just noticed this thread so it's good to see you'll soon be on your way.

Did BA offer to allow your husband to stay with you or did he take the original flight?
It was mentioned that he had to get back to work.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I am very pleased to be able to report that I am finally home!

I still haven't heard from customer relations, I plan to contact them tomorrow as I need some sleep right now. I will post updates to let you all know what happens.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I am very pleased to be able to report that I am finally home!

I still haven't heard from customer relations, I plan to contact them tomorrow as I need some sleep right now. I will post updates to let you all know what happens.
It's good to hear that you made it home, although of course we'd like to know how the trip went and whether BA took good care of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.