Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier points difference when flight number changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier points difference when flight number changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy lt Titanium, UA lt Gld MM, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold!
Question Tier points difference when flight number changes

Couldn't find a similar thread... apologies if a duplicate.

Noticed something very interesting today when playing with the points calculator while planning a trip... Flying UK to Australia, for example, using a partner airline such as Qantas, if I fly LHR-SIN-SYD ("stopping" in SIN to refuel) on QF2, I'd get long-haul tier points (240 in Biz). However, if I switched up flight numbers, "connecting" in SIN, I'd get 2 x the not-quite-as-long-haul tier points (2 x 160 = 320)...

Does that make sense? Is that right?

Seems to make the case to always change flight numbers, making sure a stop is actually a connection!

Thanks,
w.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by willphillipson
Couldn't find a similar thread... apologies if a duplicate.

Noticed something very interesting today when playing with the points calculator while planning a trip... Flying UK to Australia, for example, using a partner airline such as Qantas, if I fly LHR-SIN-SYD ("stopping" in SIN to refuel) on QF2, I'd get long-haul tier points (240 in Biz). However, if I switched up flight numbers, "connecting" in SIN, I'd get 2 x the not-quite-as-long-haul tier points (2 x 160 = 320)...

Does that make sense? Is that right?

Seems to make the case to always change flight numbers, making sure a stop is actually a connection!

Thanks,
w.
Yes. BAEC awards based on a per flight (number) basis. One through flight LHR-SYD with a stop in SIN counts as one flight with TPs and avios based on LHR-SYD. This is the same with the BA15/16 route LHR-SIN-SYD.

However, If you’re booked to travel from the UK to Australia, but with a stop-over (i.e. booked as two flight numbers), it will count as two long haul flights, so you will actually earn slightly more than if it was booked as a single flight.

So one flight number gets 240 TPs for LHR-SIN-SYD straight though, and 160+140 in J if stopping in SIN and connecting on to a different flight on to SYD.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Is SYD/SIN 160TPs in J? I know SIN/LHR is.

Many people on here advocate not getting the same BA flight from LHR/SYD as it gives a lower TP earning than if you switch planes at SIN. Not sure how this works for partners, and, if I am reading you correctly, if you fly the exact same plane between LHR/SYD but simply use different flight numbers (codeshares) on each sector.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish
Is SYD/SIN 160TPs in J? I know SIN/LHR is.
No it isn't since it is not >6000 miles. Both the BA and QF SIN-SYD flights credit at 140 TPs in J.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
There are a few threads about watching out for this same / different flight number effect, especially on intra-US routes where AAA-BBB-CCC may give better or worse results depending on whether AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC and / or AAA-CCC are sub- or over-2000 miles and on same of different flight number: eg 2000+ mile TP earning: How are direct+stopping flights handled?. References to 210TP for intra-US F out of date now of course .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.