Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Voucher expiry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Companion Voucher expiry

I've searched, but can't find a direct answer. I know that Companion vouchers cannot normally be extended, but I've recently broken my wrist which means I've had to cancel our BA flights/ holiday to Canada in May (can't drive with a plaster cast).

The companion voucher has been returned, but it expires in the middle of August and this will leave a very small window of opportunity between being able to drive and our already booked summer holidays. In these circumstances, do you think it would be worth asking if they would consider a 6 week extension to the expiry date? And if so, should I contact Amex or BA?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Originally Posted by Cabbage
I've searched, but can't find a direct answer. I know that Companion vouchers cannot normally be extended, but I've recently broken my wrist which means I've had to cancel our BA flights/ holiday to Canada in May (can't drive with a plaster cast).

The companion voucher has been returned, but it expires in the middle of August and this will leave a very small window of opportunity between being able to drive and our already booked summer holidays. In these circumstances, do you think it would be worth asking if they would consider a 6 week extension to the expiry date? And if so, should I contact Amex or BA?
Several points. You do not need to take a flight before the voucher expiry. You just need to book the flight before the expiry but the flight could be for any time in the future. It is unlikely that the voucher time will be extended even if you asked. Also if you have broken your wrist now (April), one would expect you to be able to drive during the summer holidays. Even though I know about these things definite advice should be taken from your surgeon.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by chimambu
Several points. You do not need to take a flight before the voucher expiry. You just need to book the flight before the expiry but the flight could be for any time in the future. It is unlikely that the voucher time will be extended even if you asked. Also if you have broken your wrist now (April), one would expect you to be able to drive during the summer holidays. Even though I know about these things definite advice should be taken from your surgeon.
Sorry, I think you are wrong AFAIK the outboound flight must be taken before the expiry date of the voucher.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Sorry, I think you are wrong AFAIK the outboound flight must be taken before the expiry date of the voucher.
yes I agree you must travel outbound before the expiry. From posts I’ve seen you have zero chance of getting an extension. I’m sure if they were going to give you one it wouldn’t be for a broken wrist.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Stand corrected as T&C below says
  • Outbound travel must take place before the expiry date stated on the voucher, however inbound travel may take place after the expiry date.
  • The voucher is non-extendable, non-transferable and have no cash value. No Avios or other frequent traveller programme miles or points may be earned on the vouche
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks.

I realise a broken wrist is relatively minor in terms of health concerns, but it has totally snookered our travel plans. Whilst our travel insurance is picking up our cancellation costs of hotels and car etc, it does not, of course, pick up the loss of utility regarding the companion voucher.

If I was to go to BA or Amex to plead my case, which one is responsible for administrating the voucher itself?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:43 pm

Pretty sure that Amex just ask BA to issue the voucher and then have nothing further to do with it. So BA administer their voucher.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Have you considered an alternative type of holiday, one that doesn't involve driving? That way you still get the utility of the voucher. Your wrist doesn't prevent you from flying necessarily, only driving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.