Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access Upon Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by popmagnet
If you don't mind paying, the No. 1 Lounge is nicer than any of the oneworld lounges in T3 imho.
Really? I think you’ll be in a (very small) minority with that opinion.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by madfish

Really? I think you’ll be in a (very small) minority with that opinion.

Huh, interesting. The food isn't fantastic but for me the furnishings are just much nicer and the couple of times I've been there it's had a quiet, chilled atmosphere. The library areas feel a lot more peaceful than anything you can get at the oneworld lounges. Having a staffed bar just feels nicer than self-pour too. Talking about the business lounges of course, I haven't had the pleasure of the first class ones at T3.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by popmagnet
Huh, interesting. The food isn't fantastic but for me the furnishings are just much nicer and the couple of times I've been there it's had a quiet, chilled atmosphere. The library areas feel a lot more peaceful than anything you can get at the oneworld lounges. Having a staffed bar just feels nicer than self-pour too.
I hope this doesn't come across as piling on, but I'm also in the group which would query this somewhat. I fully accept tastes are very subjective, so I don't want to completely knock your views for six, however.....

The No. 1 lounge is directly above the BA lounge and the one feature where it has a definite advantage over the oneworld lounge is the view, since it's the same level as Cathay but in a better position. So it is quite similar to the view from the BA First Dining area but one level up and runs the length of the lounge - which is also length wise rather than going deep into the terminal building. But that's about it. There is never a time when the No. 1 lounge is quieter than the oneworld lounges with 2 partial exceptions: mid morning to late lunch when AA can get quite busy, and late afternoon, early evening in Cathay. Both obviously dictated by those airlines' schedules. BA and QF (so far) wouldn't get to this position. Otherwise No. 1 has to from time to time block Priority Pass admissions since they are full up, from early evening onwards, with the late longhaul services that leave T3, including a number of A380s. And the way they block PP admissions is that they put "Reserved" signs in the better seating in the Club and Library sections which thereby take account, space wise, of those who pre-booked directly for admission. This then gradually leads to every seat being taken and eventually PP travellers being sent to Aspire around the corner. Which usually isn't quite so crowded.

The furniture, food and drink provision is very similar to the No. 1 lounge service that BAEC customers had to - well - endure in LGW North before the merciful move to LGW South. I don't think many people in this forum would go back to No. 1 given a choice, though admittedly that's up against a particularly good BA lounge in LGW. The furniture is leisure and family oriented, No 1 gets quite a lot of travellers with children, presumably trying to ease stress levels ahead of late longhaul flights. With sofas and table groups for 4+ people, so singles and couples end up sharing a table. The food is a menu of a 4 hot items ordered over the bar (with AM and PM menus), including what has now evolved into the Fish Finger Wrap, the previous incarnation having excited much comment in this forum. The cold buffet is just a salad bar and cake selection similar to LGW, and all the oneworld lounges have significantly more options. The drink provision is also similar to LGW, and similar to AA Admirals, but the other 3 lounges have much better option. Water, including sparkling, comes from filtered tap, so not mineral water from a bottle.

So I really can't see a reason for using No. 1, and at busy times it would be better to find a corner in one of T3's restaurants. Mid morning, early afternoon, I guess No 1 will be fairly quiet and not unpleasant, but so would all the oneworld lounges except perhaps AA Admirals (which is ironic given that there is a consensus that is the weakest of the 4 lounges). There is quite a large unused former lounge alongside No. 1, I can't remember who used to be there, but for a time HAL used it for public seating as poorly advertised quiet zone. Quiet it certainly was! It's now just a big empty hall, so hopefully No. 1 will spread into it, or another lounge operator will take over the space.

More information on the LHR paid-for lounges in the new FT forum for Lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.