Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New FCO lounge opened today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC
This looks very different from the BA concept used in other lounges. I almost thought the OP had got it wrong and it was a new Plaza or No.1 Lounge! Sorry for a split second doubt OP. Glad you got to try it out and I hope it was a nice start to your trip.

Is this a new design team being used? Do BA use an in-house team or a contract an external design company?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Do BA use an in-house team or a contract an external design company?
External. The Glasgow based Graven did the previous design, I don't know who did the Rome design.
https://graven.co.uk/portfolios/brit...nd-guidelines/
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:40 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Press release and more photos here: British Airways - WHEN IN ROME LOUNGE IN LUXURY
Note the reference to new club world seats with direct aisle access at the bottom of the article.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I wasn't aware BA were changing their lounge concept. The Galleries Evolution concept (branded as British Airways Lounge) seemed to have found its feet, so it's interesting that they've felt the need to change now.

I'm not sure I like the new concept at FCO from first impressions based on photos, but will reserve full judgment until I see it in the flesh.

The lack of washrooms within the lounge is a bit of a letdown.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This design is totally different (as stated in the press release) and I wonder why they changed it, the previous design was a good one in my view.
Moreover, while this new design might look reasonably smart, it doesn't look very comfortable. I'd welcome @Lenis thoughts on this but those basic dining chairs and low-backed armchairs don't have much to them.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Moreover, while this new design might look reasonably smart, it doesn't look very comfortable. I'd welcome @Lenis thoughts on this but those basic dining chairs and low-backed armchairs don't have much to them.
The press release from BA used rather artistic photography, rather than the usual level of FT amateur picture taking, one is more useful than the other. Sideswipe apart, we get a bit of a hint here that there are more relaxing spaces available.

Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
SIN, BHD (ish), EDI, GLA, IAD, AMS, CPT, BOS, LGW are the new lounges, and follow a common design
DXB is also the Galleries Evolution concept.

In original Galleries concept we have LHR, BRU, MUC, LIN, YVR, EWR, PHL, IAH (F only) and JNB.

That leaves MAN, NCL, TXL, GVA, JFK, ORD, SFO and SEA in Terraces concept, and BDA, IAH (J only) and ABV in Executive Club concept. I'm not sure whether LOS is still BA operated, but if it is I presume it's in Executive Club concept too.

Coming up we have ABZ (next month), GVA, MAN, ORD, SFO, JNB, MIA and JFK. This will leave just NCL as the only old "old" lounge in the UK, though it is a good offering thanks to being well looked after.
Are MAN and MIA definitely on the cards? I haven't heard mention of those recently.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Lenis
no in lounge toilets
Ouch. That's a thing I really don't like at all...
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
DXB is also the Galleries Evolution concept.
[...]
Are MAN and MIA definitely on the cards? I haven't heard mention of those recently.
Yes, I forgot DXB, I remember thinking this is quite a long list now.

MAN I'm sure is still on, I've heard it mentioned recently. Of the older lounges not otherwise accounted for, MAN and TXL are the ones in the worst condition, thanks to heavy footfall, and TXL will close (Na sicher!) with the airport. MIA I've not heard anything recently, but nor have I heard that (e.g.) the budget is being held back, as was the case with SFO.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Comfort on the individual chairs is fair. The walls are lined with a form of bench seat that is not particularly comfortable. The rest of the lounge has a mixture of metal (think industrial style) stools and plain tables and chairs.
Its all fairly clinical.
certainly not as comfortable as the previous lounge - and I fear smaller (too much space given to bar area). However much brighter and with a view.

much prefer the “current” lounge design to this however.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Genius1

The lack of washrooms within the lounge is a bit of a letdown.
Although not for those of us T5 Flounge users who routinely head to the lav downstairs rather than line up.....

Last edited by lorath; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lorath

Although not for those of us T5 Flounge users who routinely head to the lav downstairs rather than line up.....
I normally pop upstairs to Galleries Club where there are more cubicles.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
It looks unusually stylish and contemporary for a BA lounge!
If Cruz hears that he'll enhance it down.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I’m in the lounge now and the low backed armchairs are sturdy enough but they aren’t very comfortable and you have to slouch sideways in them to get comfortable. The bench seats round the wall are very smart but are very hard. All that said the lounge ambience is very nice indeed.

No sign of the promised mixologist though, and when we arrived nearly all the comfy seats were taken so not sure when else the “peak time” would be - there are three flights to LHR and LGW in the next few hours.

The food is good though. There was a lasagna alla bolognese which was very acceptable, a chickpea and rosemary soup, a decent antipasti selection of cold meats, some cheeses , mini stuffed rolls and a cake and pasteries area.

There were many fridges with bottled water and some peroni beer; there was only one selection of red and white wine. I also saw some gin, vodka, whiskey, aperol and strange exotic liqueurs I hadn’t heard of...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:02 am

Does anyone know if there are any gluten free options (suitable for coeliacs) available in the lounge? Italy is generally very accommodating in this regard but not sure if this extends to the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.