Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

It’s back again! Simulator choice this year is 747 and 777, but no one will be forced to fly on something they don’t want though, and I would imagine the 747 is the one most want (and should try).

Previous Trip Reports for the 747-400 Simulators
Cost
Each simulator holds 4 people and one instructor. The total cost of a 4 hour session in one simulator would be £1,700 (this is cheaper than BA offer to the public), and this would give around 55-60 minutes of time per person on the controls – although we would rotate during the session so this would be split in to a number of smaller time chunks. Please note that the prices on the BAFT website are quoted as £1,700 excluding VAT per simulator, but we have been offered them for a price of £1,700, including VAT.

As we are charged per simulator generally a group in multiples of 4 would be ideal, with cost per person being £425. If we only had three people for example we would still have to pay £1,700 so the cost per person increases to £567 per person, although we would each get a bit more time at the controls. If we end up with 5 though it may well make sense to go to 1 simulator to reduce the cost and have say 45/50 minutes each per simulator.

Basically once we confirm numbers we can make a choice if we don't have a multiple of 4, although a multiple of 4 would be ideal.

Payment
Once the date is confirmed and booked each person would pay their share directly to BAFT, this is likely to be around September or early October when payment is due. It would be non-refundable so if you don't show you would unfortunately not get your money back, but this stops those that do show all of a sudden having to cover any no-show's share. If you do commit and pay and find in a few months you can't make it one option may be to see if a friend, work colleague, or other FT'er can come and take your place and they can pay you directly for your share which you have already paid to BAFT.

I will ensure that we are absolutely not going to be in a situation on the day where I am asking those that have come along to dip in to their pockets to cover any additional cost. Sorry this seems a bit harsh, but I don't think anyone wants to turn up finding instead of £3,400 divided by 8 it is suddenly only divided by 6.

Dates & Times
Unfortunately weekends are not possible for a group booking, so the options are weekdays. My own preference would be a Friday and probably 1900-2300 as (coming from the regions) I would only need to take half a day off work and wouldn't have to worry about getting back for working the next day. For those in London or around the South East you could come in the evening and there would be no need for any holiday being used.

If we booked for a date more than 3 months in advance we can hopefully get our choice of date & time. I have already confirmed with BA that the dates offered below are available.

The dates being offered are:
  • Friday 26 October 1900-2300
  • Friday 2 November 1900-2300

The simulators are all now at the new Engineering Base at Heathrow near Hatton Cross tube station - they used to be at Cranebank which is where we went in 2014, but they were moved last year and our 2015-2017 visits were at the new facility. More details here.

As this is part of a secure area you would need a passport or other photo ID to enter.

Threads from previous years:
October 2014 -> FT Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Cranebank and Trip Report here
October 2015 -> FT 747-400 Flight Simulator Outing to BAFT Heathrow
October 2016 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
October 2017 -> FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow
Print Wikipost

FT BA Flight Simulator Outing to Heathrow [UK] – 26 October & 2 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I had a great time! Thanks to KARFA and Andy at BA FT for organising it.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
Had a great time! Thanks Karfa for organizing again.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Another excellent evening, thanks for organising Karfa as I can imagine arranging a gaggle of FTers must be like herding cats!

Our BA pilot for the evening was superb, to keep a sense of humour whilst we tried various methods to destroy a 777 must take some doing.

For those of you that like the A380 cockpit vids posted by BA Captain Dave, keep your eyes peeled for a special 787 edition coming soon.....
Wandered likes this.

Last edited by bhbloke; Oct 28, 2018 at 6:33 am Reason: Weird autocorrect word!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed it. I was made to work hard in my group, two engine carnasie approach to JFK!

Some photos and videos from our group:

Ned1968 and S_W_S like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:33 pm

A massive thanks to @KARFA for arranging this again. Had a blast!

I've uploaded all the videos I took to a google drive. Feel free to download them @Weary Nomad, @Soddon & @flylikelinz. Quality isn't the best but hopefully you get some enjoyment out of them.

Flew the 747-400 again this year. Peter was our instructor he brought a wealth of experience and entertainment to the right seat! We stuck with 30 minutes each for the first session and same for the second session. Finished up at 23:10.

Thanks,
Neil
KARFA, Soddon and flylikelinz like this.

Last edited by pilotngb; Oct 27, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pilotngb
A massive thanks to @KARFA for arranging this again. Had a blast!

I've uploaded all the videos I took to a google drive. Feel free to download them @Weary Nomad, @Soddon & @flylikelinz. Quality isn't the best but hopefully you get some enjoyment out of them.

Flew the 747-400 again this year. Peter was our instructor he brought a wealth of experience and entertainment to the right seat! We stuck with 30 minutes each for the first session and same for the second session. Finished up at 23:10.

Thanks,
Neil
Thanks Neil and great to hear you enjoyed it. We had some fun in our simulator too as you can see from the photos and videos above. Lots of approaches to LHR with varying difficulty of weather, few circuits at CBG, then INN, and finally lots of approaches at JFK including the visual to 13L. I think our pilot thought we were having it too easy towards the end and he failed both 3 and 4 engines as I was part way through the approach at JFK!

looking forward to next Friday and seeing the next victims
pilotngb likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:25 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Talking

Hi Guys,

Had such a great evening once again, glad i stayed this time after to enjoy a pint of 4 with you guys. I did, however, get home at 4 am using the night tube and buses! next year I'll stay closer to LHR!

Here is a link to a shared folder from the evening. I am also uploading my GoPro footage which i'll update on here once they are up to the same folder.

Thanks again Karfa for organising such a fun-filled evening.
KARFA, Soddon, S_W_S and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by flylikelinz

I am also uploading my GoPro footage which i'll update on here once they are up to the same folder.
Thanks for posting the videos. They were great fun to watch back!
Soddon and flylikelinz like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Looking forward to Friday now.....

Out of interest what were people using for filming? GoPros? Phones? Other?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flylikelinz
Hi Guys,

Had such a great evening once again, glad i stayed this time after to enjoy a pint of 4 with you guys. I did, however, get home at 4 am using the night tube and buses! next year I'll stay closer to LHR!

Here is a link to a shared folder from the evening. I am also uploading my GoPro footage which i'll update on here once they are up to the same folder.

Thanks again Karfa for organising such a fun-filled evening.
Thanks for sharing, just been through them all and some very nice videos and photos there.

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Out of interest what were people using for filming? GoPros? Phones? Other?
I was using my dslr for my photos and vidoes with quite a wide lens (17mm). It's quite dark in the sims and mine isn't very fast though at f4 so I had to have the ISO very high to reduce the shutter speed sufficiently. I saw others using go pros and phones tho.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:18 am

I'll bring a selection.

I also have a bodycam I use for cycling that basically clips onto anything so that might be fun.

The double engine fail Canarsie sounds lively..... :-)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
When my 747 sim is finished, I'll need to organise a visit for everyone!

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:45 am

Jeez - that's some pretty serious kit there.... Where did you source the panels from?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by GodAtum
There are more sockets there thna the old JFK Galleries First lounge.
Soddon likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Once you add the full motion hydraulics it might be cheaper to get your pilots license!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.