Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a nappy in the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Changing a nappy in the lounge

Am I being out of order in thinking this is disgusting?

Whitnessed at Heathrow Business BA Lounge today. Lady with a baby had baby out on one of the longer soft seating chairs changing the nappy, in middle of lounge people all around.

I really wanted to advise her of available baby changing facilities just a 15 second walk away, but next thing I thought I’d be in Daily Mail branded a women/baby hater!

Just can’t understand this myself when facilities are available.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Wouldn't bother me to be honest. Travelling with a baby isn't easy, and carting paraphernalia around to changing facilities which may be occupied is often quite difficult, where a quick change is often the easier and quicker option. Unless there's been an explosion the contents aren't going to be spread around.

But I'm guessing the popcorn will be out for this one.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
Should not be done in the same room as people eat.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
Should not be done in the same room as people eat.
and literally strangers on the next tables not a couple yards away trying to enjoy their breakfasts.
MSPeconomist and ACCDraw like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I would never have done this. Always use the baby change facilities. It’s not fair on others and I’m wondering what sort of personal hygiene the mother has and whether she’s washed her hands afterwards. 🤢
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Disgusting and a staff member should have been informed straight away.
PUCCI GALORE, sgm, seanp7 and 18 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
whoever did this should have been thrown out. No excuse - there are facilities available.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:45 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Wouldn't bother me to be honest. Travelling with a baby isn't easy, and carting paraphernalia around to changing facilities which may be occupied is often quite difficult, where a quick change is often the easier and quicker option. Unless there's been an explosion the contents aren't going to be spread around.

But I'm guessing the popcorn will be out for this one.
Or we could call this what it is Laziness. If facilities are there you should use the. Whilst my four are all grown up I regularly travel with my grandchildren and would not change their nappies on public seating risking spillage when sterile changing facilities were available.

Last edited by PJSMITH0; Apr 14, 2018 at 4:46 am Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Or we could call this what it is Laziness. If facilities are there you should use the. Whilst my four are all grown up I regularly travel with my grandchildren and would not change their nappies on public seating risking spillage when sterile changing facilities were available.
There's very little that can come out of a nappy that's worse that's what's already on public seating .

As I say, it wouldn't bother me much, but it would depend on what was in the nappy and how it was changed. You're way more likely to be made ill by someone inconsiderately travelling with a virus than from a quick nappy change, and there are way more disgusting results left in toilets on flights or in the lounges. Nappy changing - which to be perfectly honest I've never seen in a lounge anyway, nor in public anywhere I can remember - is way down my own list of inconsiderate toilet related behaviour.

Anyway if it offends you, the solution is to point that out to the offender rather than random fellow travellers on a bulletin board. Is this really BA related?
flyerkit likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
...............................Is this really BA related?
Yep. If it happens in a BA lounge ......... it’s BA-related.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Well I got caught out several times in the middle of swapping the dirty one for the clean one. It’s not pleasant.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Nappy changing - which to be perfectly honest I've never seen in a lounge anyway, nor in public anywhere I can remember - is way down my own list of inconsiderate toilet related behaviour.
Whether or not you've personally witnessed it is not really relevant; the OP did see it.

I'm with the majority here - this was disgusting, inconsiderate behaviour and should have been reported immediately.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:35 am

There's very little that can come out of a nappy that's worse that's what's already on public seating .

As I say, it wouldn't bother me much, but it would depend on what was in the nappy and how it was changed. You're way more likely to be made ill by someone inconsiderately travelling with a virus than from a quick nappy change, and there are way more disgusting results left in toilets on flights or in the lounges. Nappy changing - which to be perfectly honest I've never seen in a lounge anyway, nor in public anywhere I can remember - is way down my own list of inconsiderate toilet related behaviour.

Anyway if it offends you, the solution is to point that out to the offender rather than random fellow travellers on a bulletin board. Is this really BA related?
I think is the lounge agent it should be pointed out to. Whilst some of your points make sense, I simply can't see how it is accaptable to change a nappy in a lounge next to strangers who are enjoying their breakfasts.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:36 am

Reminds me of the 'walking stick by food' thread the other day which seemed to mysteriously disappear.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
....................Nappy changing - which to be perfectly honest I've never seen in a lounge anyway, nor in public anywhere I can remember - is way down my own list of inconsiderate toilet related behaviour.

And now I can’t help wonder what (several) other ”inconsiderate toilet related behaviours” there might be which push it “way down” your list ? (no need to specify, thanks !)

I’d say there’s a good reason why you / we have never witnessed this in a lounge before : almost everyone knows it to be very offensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.