Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you mind switching seats with me...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Fife_Flyer
Reminds me of a trip in Y with Qantas a couple of decades ago, long before paying for seats was an option. Travelling myself, I'd asked everyone from check-in agent to cabin crew if I could have an exit row (I'm 6'4"). CC advised the exit row (which was empty as I boarded) was probably taken, but he would move me forward if it was still empty when the doors shut. I sat down in my window seat, but least I had a spare seat beside me in an otherwise completely full flight. Last to board were a couple who took their seats in the exit row, both of them rather smaller in stature then myself, and the CC member immediately went up to them and explained they would have to swap seats with me since I needed the exit row more than they did!
I can do one slightly better. It was also on QF. There was a rugby player-type guy who was about 6'7" or maybe even taller. I'm what you could call a petite female, and was seated in the exit row.

Cabin crew member asked if I would move to J from the exit row in Y to put this guy in the exit row. I certainly did not decline.

This was from somewhere in Asia to LHR so I had a benefit of J.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:51 pm

Re: Qantas charging for seat selection
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
it does in economy
Only for international flights. Free for domestic flights and anyone OWR or above on international.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
My favorite request is from years ago on an Air China 747 TPAC in Y. I was seated by the window, and two young boys (unaccompanied minors) were boarded and seated next to me.

in a few minutes an FA came over to ask me if I would switch with a third UM in an aisle seat a few rows back - a girl.

i really wanted the window seat, so I asked the boys if they woyuld like me to switch so the GIRL could sit by them. Of course, they said no.

The FA wasn’t too happy, but she let me keep the window. The boys were relieved, and we didn’t cause each other any problems!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by theddo
The T&C are very clear about Dr. Dao's situation, too, and that airlines are free to offload anyone they'd like for a small compensation - but there was a lot of arguments about that when he refused to step off the plane.

Rules aren't always correct, nor do they excuse anything.
Actually the terms and conditions were not at all clear in his case once he had been allowed to board the plane, and indeed that was why the airline admitted it was in the wrong. The right to offload is before you board the aircraft; after that the airline needs a rather better reason to offload you than 'because we feel like it'.

In any case an airline clearly needs to retain the right to move passengers if necessary, and obviously refunds any seat selection fees paid where that has happened. Some passengers seem to have a bizarre idea of their level of authority on board an aircraft. The posts referring to the surprise an airline would dare move a cardholder say it all. You fly quite a lot, you're not the queen mother.

And as for the comment that 'families only care when they can get a better seat' that probably says more about your own attitude to comfort Vs family than anyone elses. It's as true a generalisation as saying 'gold card holders are arrogant entitled gits without an ounce of humanity'. Be a bit silly wouldn't it to slur a whole group like that?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:42 pm

The T&C are very clear about Dr. Dao's situation, too, and that airlines are free to offload anyone they'd like for a small compensation - but there was a lot of arguments about that when he refused to step off the plane.

Indeed they aren't, and in the Dr Dao case the airline changed its rules shortly after so passengers could not be offloaded to accommodate staff within an hour of the flight.

Plus of course whatever your rules say, it will not prevent the media turning on you in a particular situation. Rules are no use when your brand is getting hammered as United found.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

OT, but not according to the UA rules, which said that after boarding, a revenue passenger can be denied travel on the flight only for specific grave reasons such as the passenger threatening a crew member or being unfit to fly. IDBs on UA (with USA DOT mandated compensation) according to UA's T&C at the time of the Dr Dao incident were required to be done before the passenger boarded.

Some other USA carriers allowed IDBs before or after boarding.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I've downgraded myself a few times to sit with my GF. some are mid hauls and we were well fed before flight so nothing much to lose.

Originally Posted by ords
A personal favorite of mine..."what is it worth to you".

Adults with young kids are my exception.
yeah why not. there is a cost for us getting the seat we wanted - time, MR, work paid status that is earned by our personal ability/investment.

Originally Posted by flying_pig
I've been asked to swap seats a number of times. For me it all depends on the specific circumstances, in particular: how the request is delivered and how much it matters to the people involved. If I sense that it's really important to someone, they ask nicely and - most importantly - without any sense of entitlement, then I am usually happy to comply and even move to a less desirable seat. It reminds me of when I happily gave 64A to a honeymoon couple who was upgraded and was clearly having the time of their lives.

On the other hand, I do not like to be pressured, particularly by members of staff. I like 1C in CE as it affords the opportunity of stretching legs and freedom of movement. This happens a few weeks ago: I am approached at the gate by the Station Manager in a European outstation. She has a middle-aged couple standing behind her and she starts explaining that they had to be upgraded as the flight was full, but could not find them two seats together. She demands that I swap 1C with something like 6A (on a band 4, no thanks). I explain that I'd rather keep my seat. The Station Manager is now irate and starts pressuring me, asking whether I am "really refusing to help?", all with the couple starting at me. Now, this in my view is NOT appropriate. Staff should not be putting passengers in awkward positions, let alone a Station Manager and let alone to accommodate upgrades (I guess it was easier for the ground staff to upgrade a couple rather than two singles?). What angers me is that a person who avoids confrontation would have been likely bullied into saying yes, thus accepting a less favourable seat, all to make this Station Manager's job easier.
me too, i've requested a middle seat for a middle seat (F in DEFG for another F) when we moved to a different flight w short notice.
the bright side of it, i had an empty E seat (say 32E in CX PY) and my gf has an empty asile next to her (31D) so he earned an empty neighbour seat

Originally Posted by MPH1980
I had a weird experience on a flight the other week. I was moved from W on BA to Y on Westjet (over which there is an ongoing dispute with American) Very last row in the middle set (aisle seat) in what should have been crew rest seats.

I am sat next to a lady with her son.

The grandma is clearly 5-6 rows ahead on an aisle on the middle.

I offer to swap (not entirely altruistic of course - moving out of the last row away from the toilets and avoiding visits from grandma looks good to me).

I got every excuse as to why they didnt want to ... from 'but you paid for that seat' (hell no i didnt) ... 'but we cant ask you to do that' (you really can) ... 'but you are settled' (just my ipad and headphones). None of the discussion was about them ... all about how it would inconvenience me.

In the end they didnt swap and grandma only visited at 20 minutes to landing. Son was superb too ... slept most of the way.

Seat was horrible and uncomfortable compared to BA WTP though. Moving wouldnt have improved that but I found it very funny.
One time we tried hard to avoid sitting with grandpa. i think he's some sort of CX premier or invitation for the flying in the 80s, but LHR was a premium location anyways so we couldnt get him upgraded. in the end we'd just rather to sit all around the plane after a 2-week-trip.

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I think that is just not true. If I think of my family, 95% of them would have no clue what good seats are (the idea of 64K being somehow better than some other club seat would simply not come up). On the other hand we would all love to sit together, and a middle next to a loved one would be preferable over any exit row seats.

It requires quite a bit of FT cynicism to claim otherwise...
oh come on
a quick googling with have tons of things showing up...

Originally Posted by mikebg
Many years ago I was flying on another airline on a rather old 747-200. They had stopped selling First Class on these old aircraft as the upstairs was not really up to First Class standards, but the seats were considerably better than the other business class seats. Three rows of 2-2. The back row was by far the best - quiet and with slightly more room. I was pre-booked in one of these seats. At checkin I was asked if I minded moving to a different seat so a couple could sit together. I decided to be kind and agreed. On boarding I saw it wasn't a couple at all, but the governor of the central bank and his deputy, who wanted to work together.

Suffice it to say that I was more that a trifle annoyed, and have been very wary of accepting similar "deals" ever since.
name and shame that dude. i hate switching seats because they didnt try better before.
or they dont drop their attitude before asking. If one ask nicely someone will end up not minding to switch.

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Some years back an American family came aboard - Mom, Dad and two late-teen kids. When Mom discovered that the two kids were a couple of rows apart from her and her husband she quite loudly said that it would be such a shame not to be all sitting together as a family and we won't be able to talk. The two kids did the sort of eye-roll thing and said "Don't worry Mom, we will have PLENTY of time during the holiday" and hurriedly made their way to their sanctuary.
my dad pulls that with hotels for connecting rooms for trips to meet familys (he books connecting rooms but hates to just get 1 out of the 2) ... but since he pay and hes not causing a pain to other guests, i let that one slide.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
it does in economy
I've never paid for seat selection in Y on QF. Just recently flown twice in domestic and international with them and both times (one was even a redemption flight) I was given seat choice at the time of booking with no charge. And I am BAEC Rust so nothing special there. Not sure why you've been charged?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:49 am

In many cases Qantas is free in economy too. All domestics and international dependent on fare as well as status.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...tion/global/en
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:18 am
Suspended

You did the correct thing. There is no reason anyone should play "Unite the Couple". They are adults, they can be apart for a few hours. If they cannot, then they should have booked seats together. If they did and got separated by the cruel gods of air travel, too bad, so sad. Not your problem to solve.

I say no to ALL swaps on principle. Well..to be clear, if someone offered to swap me for a seat in a better class..sure. But that's never happened in 30 years of flying.

Firstly, it's a rude imposition to even ask someone to swap. No matter how politely done, it puts a burden on the seat holder to take on the problems of the requestee. It's tantamount to panhandling. Give me something for nothing. Besides, once I am seated, I don't want to be disturbed or arsed to move.

Secondly, whatever seat I am in, I paid extra for it and reserved it weeks if not months in advance. I used my status to be able to get first shot at it. I used the seat maps. Did the research. I put effort into it. Someone who covets it didn't do any of that. It's not my job to accommodate armatures, the ignorant, the cheap or the lazy. I don't care about their problem. I won that seat fair and square, and they lost. Some eat, some get eaten. End of story.

And the fear of seeming like a jerk is of no concern to me. THEY are the jerks for asking. I don't care what other pax think of me. I will never see those people again. If the fear of sitting next to an angry member of a separated couple is to much, consider my perspective: Watching them steam about it is a pleasure, and justice for their impudence and arrogance at thinking their being a couple outranks you being solo.... despite your advanced seat choices and extra fees.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You did the correct thing. There is no reason anyone should play "Unite the Couple". They are adults, they can be apart for a few hours. If they cannot, then they should have booked seats together. If they did and got separated by the cruel gods of air travel, too bad, so sad. Not your problem to solve.

I say no to ALL swaps on principle. Well..to be clear, if someone offered to swap me for a seat in a better class..sure. But that's never happened in 30 years of flying.

Firstly, it's a rude imposition to even ask someone to swap. No matter how politely done, it puts a burden on the seat holder to take on the problems of the requestee. It's tantamount to panhandling. Give me something for nothing. Besides, once I am seated, I don't want to be disturbed or arsed to move.

Secondly, whatever seat I am in, I paid extra for it and reserved it weeks if not months in advance. I used my status to be able to get first shot at it. I used the seat maps. Did the research. I put effort into it. Someone who covets it didn't do any of that. It's not my job to accommodate armatures, the ignorant, the cheap or the lazy. I don't care about their problem. I won that seat fair and square, and they lost. Some eat, some get eaten. End of story.

And the fear of seeming like a jerk is of no concern to me. THEY are the jerks for asking. I don't care what other pax think of me. I will never see those people again. If the fear of sitting next to an angry member of a separated couple is to much, consider my perspective: Watching them steam about it is a pleasure, and justice for their impudence and arrogance at thinking their being a couple outranks you being solo.... despite your advanced seat choices and extra fees.
Wow. There is almost nothing in your post with which I can identify.
shefgab, kaka, HilFly and 3 others like this.

Last edited by golfmad; Apr 19, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
THEY are the jerks for asking.
Even if you think that they should not ask, a bit over the top, perhaps?
PAL62V likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It's not my job to accommodate armatures, the ignorant, the cheap or the lazy. I don't care about their problem.
I'm curious about the armatures. I didn't know electric motor parts could book airplane seats.
PAL62V, Proudelitist and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfmad
What's wrong with being nice to people from time to time even if there is nothing "in it" for you?
What's wrong with taking the seat you are given and not imposing your wants on others?
skipness1E likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your third and last paragraphs are inconsistent.
If you don't care what other pax think, then asking you for a favor is not an imposition, forcing you to feel abashed or burdened in some way because you refuse. By virtue of your last paragraph the only imposition involved is forcing you to exercise your vocal cords or your neck muscles if you choose to simply shake your head "no" instead of saying it. Well okay, but if that's the extent of the bother while you're engaged in public transport, as you said - too bad, so sad.
I get your position, but why not just own it instead of adding that weak "By the very act of asking, you're making me feel bad or appear like a jerk to other passengers." It doesn't really ring true and just comes off as rhetorical overkill.
flyerkit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.