Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you mind switching seats with me...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I've only had a couple of seat swap requests and those were mainly on BA. My favourite one was in WT LHR - CPT. I had the bulkhead aisle seat when a couple boarded who turned out to have the seat next to me and a middle seat in the row behind. They turned to the cabin crew standing in the door area and said "He will have to move so we can sit together". I was about to object when the cabin crew responded that it was not possible to swap. When they demanded to know why the crew member just said "He is a more important passenger than you". I was silver at the time so was quite surprised by what she said. They ignored me the whole flight while I got really good treatment. They must have p'd off the crew with their self important attitude as they were not polite to anyone as I'd seen them in the gate area being obnoxious to the gate staff.

The others who have asked to swap with their SOB stories have all also expected me to move to a worse seat but when I've said I'd rather not have either taken it in good grace or not pushed any further.
henry999 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:38 am

Nice thread OP, and it's quite well behaved too I posted this thread nearly a couple of years ago, there are some nice examples there!

No really...There is someone sitting in my seat!

I learnt my lesson not to just say yes on my second ever CW flight when a group of colleagues asked me to move so they could sit together. Turned out the seat was broken, so I had to move again to an even worse seat.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lavajava
Nice thread OP, and it's quite well behaved too I posted this thread nearly a couple of years ago, there are some nice examples there!

No really...There is someone sitting in my seat!

I learnt my lesson not to just say yes on my second ever CW flight when a group of colleagues asked me to move so they could sit together. Turned out the seat was broken, so I had to move again to an even worse seat.
I hadn't seen that thread before lavajava... my, that escalated quickly
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Most of my requests to swap seats have been in first flying domestically on AA. One particular 'request' about 4/5 years ago was on a flight to New York. I noticed, as often is the case with AA, that there were over 3 pages of 'Upgrade Requests" on the screen. Immediately prior to boarding one "gentleman's" name was called and he and his wife were the two lucky ones to be upgraded and he was handed two new BPs .

Instead of being grateful he appeared put out because he and his wife had not been sat together and suggested to the gate agent that she move someone, which was refused. At this point boarding was announced and they pushed their way to the front of the queue to board first.

When I boarded I found this man sat in my seat on the front row. I pointed to my BP and showed him he was sat in my seat, he simply said "I'm sitting here with my wife, you can have seat 6E". I said I was happy with the seat I had reserved and he should move to his allocated seat. He refused. Again I asked that he move, he ignored me and pressed the call bell.

The Purser came and this chap said "... the gate agent hadn't seated us together and for some strange reason he is demanding this seat" - I told the purser I had actually reserved this seat several weeks ago and I had actually bought a first class ticket. The purser told him he should take his assigned seat but he was having none of it and said he needed to sit with his wife and it was me who was being very unreasonable in not moving. The purser said if he really needed to sit with his wife he would have him reassigned 2 seats together in the cabin he had paid for. He moved but not without passing some rather unpleasant comments under his breath throughout the flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
There was someone in my seat a couple of years ago... There's Someone In My Seat
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I remember that thread, it was quite funny
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Fantastic thread Wozza2404
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Never happened to me on board a plane, but did once on Eurostar. It was either 1999 or 2000, I was a student spending a placement year in Paris. I was taking the train back after a visit home, with typical big rucksack (with rollerblades tied to the outside as it happens). I board the train to find someone in my seat. As I'm checking my ticket, he says "I hope you don't mind, I bumped into an old friend in the departure lounge, and wondered if you wouldn't mind swapping seats? No problem if not, but I think you'll like it!". Indeed, as he was in the Standard Plus carriage (the very front) - same Standard seats but free drinks and snacks etc. Needless to say I took him up on it.

signol
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Before knowing FT, I asked (we asked, me & husband) to swap seats on my first long haul ever, after having purchased at the airport check-in an upgrade to J (first time in J too!)
It was on a 767 UA flight with a 2-1-2 configuration. We were in the last row of the J cabin, one on the opposite side of each other. We took our assigned places and we agreed to politely ask to the first person arriving at the seat. The passenger from my husband side arrived first and kindly agreed to swap with me. Honestly I do not recall if it was a window o isle seat... Anyway, once happily together we decided to swap again in order to help a mother in row 1 to be closer to her kids, seated in front of us. She was talking in a worried manner with the CC and my husband went there to offer the change. Everyone happy, CC included for the quick solution.
I think after that we never asked again for a seat change, but as of today we both still offer help if someone needs a reasonable swap.
T8191, golfmad and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by signol
Never happened to me on board a plane, but did once on Eurostar. It was either 1999 or 2000, I was a student spending a placement year in Paris. I was taking the train back after a visit home, with typical big rucksack (with rollerblades tied to the outside as it happens). I board the train to find someone in my seat. As I'm checking my ticket, he says "I hope you don't mind, I bumped into an old friend in the departure lounge, and wondered if you wouldn't mind swapping seats? No problem if not, but I think you'll like it!". Indeed, as he was in the Standard Plus carriage (the very front) - same Standard seats but free drinks and snacks etc. Needless to say I took him up on it.

signol
if we're allowed to use Eurostar stories.....

one time some of my work colleagues and i and I took advantage of a special offer price for a group ticket for a day trip to Lille. No problems on the outbound, but when we boarded the return trip, we found a group of people already in our seats. On pointing out that fact to them, one snotty woman told us that they were booked in those seats on the previous train which had been cancelled and we should find alternative seats.

our group leader told her and her friends to sod off - we had valid tickets for those seats on THIS train, and if anyone was going to find alternative seats it was her! She refused, we called chef du train who came and told them to sling their hooks, they had been accommodated on the later train, but the seats were ours!

Why were we so adamant about getting our own seats? As the poacher found out, there was nowhere in the vicinity of our reserved seats where our a group could sit together!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rpjs
... there was an older couple already in 4D/E ... Turns out they were supposed to be in 6B/C ... I honestly think they were very infrequent fliers that hadn't realised they were in the wrong seats.
These people are well known in America. In the Americano-centric fora they are referred to as Ma and Pa Kettle, after some naive country folk in a very popular series of American films from the 1940s and '50s.

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
... I will make do with smiling at those boarding passengers who check every single seat number (including mine) against their boarding pass, while I’m thinking “Move right along, this is not your seat.”
I was once in 3- or 4-D and watched some Kettles get on. They inspected the seat numbers over row 2 and compared them to their BPs. Took two steps; stopped; and looked at the seat numbers over row three. Took two more steps ...

When they were next to me, I was able to see the BP in your man's hand ... and it looked like they were in row 24.
T8191 and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:36 pm

One time offender

I wouldn’t normally ask someone to swap but it was necessary a few years ago. (Luckily a cheapy Ryanair to Ibiza) I had been at a hen do the night before and was in a terrible state! Got to my middle seat and there were two friends sitting across from each other on aisle seats. I had to ask one to take my middle seat, which they kindly did, in order to keep dashing to the loo!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems to me that in almost all cases, the only possible answer to the question "Would you mind swapping seats with me?" is just "Yes." If the person asking the question persists, say "Yes, I would mind." Both are factual statements and fully answer the question that was asked. There's no need to communicate further.
ESPECIALROB and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by henry999
I was once in 3- or 4-D and watched some Kettles get on.
We never call them Kettles here. That name is reserved for a certain brand of chips/crisps that are frequently liberated from the T5 lounges pre-flight.
JayeJ likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

We never call them Kettles here. That name is reserved for a certain brand of chips/crisps that are frequently liberated from the T5 lounges pre-flight.
Actually that puts a new slant on the term ‘bargaining chip’. An armful of Kettles might go a long way in negotiations for a desired seat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.