Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Uk domestic - no show outbound cancels inbound?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold

I have 4 flights next week UK domestic - including a returning to London for a midweek meeting which may be cancelled.

However they are ticketed in order so the Monday outbound return Weds (meeting) flight on one PNR and the weds back return Friday is another.

Am am I right in thinking of I don’t fly the outbound the inbound will be cancelled even on domestic? I.e. unless I fly as booked I can’t return home Friday as I have to fly weds outbound to use Friday return.

Hope that makes sense...thanks in advance!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:53 pm

Correct.

For info, the low-cost airlines do not apply this policy.
muggle likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PNR's are irrelevant. Whether the next segment is inbound is irrelevant. It is tickets. All segments must be flown in the order issued. If not, then the remaining coupons (segments) are cancelled.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Your obvious solution in this case is that if your mid week meeting is cancelled, you move the Wednesday return to Friday and abandon or refund the second ticket.

More generally, unless flying Club on these flights, get one-way tickets or make the return tickets match your actual underlying travel pattern. If these had been booked as Mon-Fri return from London and Wed-Wed return to London you wouldn't have this problem,.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bmi did not do this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by flatlander
More generally, unless flying Club on these flights, get one-way tickets .
The disadvantage of doing this is that it's usually more expensive to buy two one-way tickets than a return on BA. A year or two ago that wasn't the case for domestic and most European flights but it has applied to the flights I've flown or booked in recent months.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It does appear to be slightly (in this case £16) more expensive, but in this case that flexibility might be useful...
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA bronze
The fare difference varies depending on the individual flights chosen. For example some EDI-LHR flights I was looking at recently (Economy Basic fares) were £86 more expensive when bought as two one-way flights than as a return on one ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hugolover
bmi did not do this.
... and look where they ended up
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It always pays to look at the price of singles vs. return. On some long-haul routes, a single may approach or even exceed a return, but that is rapidly fading and on short-haul it may be close to non-existent. That gap may well be less than change and other fees and may make purchasing singles the best approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.