Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 bookings on same flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
2 bookings on same flight

Hi,

I have a quick question on behalf of a friend if anyone can advise please....

He currently has 4 seats booked on LGW-MCO-LGW next spring, booked using avios and 241 vouchers. He also has the opportunity to book these flights as BA staff travel instead to save the avios, which would be his preferred option. However, the staff travel is likely not to be confirmed until very close to departure so he doesn't want to cancel the avios booking yet in case the flights booked under staff travel are not confirmed.

Would there be any issue with having 2 bookings for the same 4 people on the same flight? ie could this be flagged up with regards to duplicate API etc, or could this prevent the staff travel being granted?

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
for regular booking yes it could get flagged up and one (or both?) of the booking may be cancelled

I am not sure if one of the bookings being staff would make a difference
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
If both bookings are ticketed then they will stick. If not ticketed, then the newer of the bookings will be automatically cancelled.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:11 am

The staff travel may never be confirmed. There is no guarantee.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'd ask him to check the Staff Travel T&C's. Not sure about BA's but with Qantas you can't list for staff travel if you have a commercial ticket (an Avios ticket would count as a commercial ticket for all intents and purposes I would asssume). This is to stop you from booking and then cancelling at the last minute releasing availability - assuming that the flight isn't overbooked to start and where they fall in the staff wait list rankings. Pretty sure they consider it a serious offence if you do.

As above, staff travel isn't confirmed until the plane is in the air! Last time I flew they gave me stand by boarding passes so I could get airside, and actual seat numbers not issued until the gate.

I have had TAs double book me onto flights before because of different routing options etc. The airline (can't recall if it was BA or QF as I used to fly both to Australia) ended up cancelling both because of it, but it was rectified at the airport. I can't recall if this was down stream after the initial flight or at the start. Too many flights, too long ago!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I've had two confirmed tickets on the same flight so I guess the system isn't clever enough to automatically cancel one of them....
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by dddc
I'd ask him to check the Staff Travel T&C's. Not sure about BA's but with Qantas you can't list for staff travel if you have a commercial ticket (an Avios ticket would count as a commercial ticket for all intents and purposes I would asssume). This is to stop you from booking and then cancelling at the last minute releasing availability - assuming that the flight isn't overbooked to start and where they fall in the staff wait list rankings. Pretty sure they consider it a serious offence if you do.
Yes, BA can treat this quite seriously, so tell him to be careful. A long time ago there were cases of reservations-trained people being caught making (unticketed) bookings in other people's names for travel in premium cabins on (busy) flights they were planning to stand by on, and of course when the non-existant people didn't show up in time - hey presto those seats became available for standbys...

So if they do do it, make sure they cancel one or the other ticket well before the day of travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.