Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU and extra security problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by KARFA
That doesn't sound like SSSS, more like missing APIS information which prevented check-in or bp issue until resolved. Once you are selected from SSSS I don't think BA staff have any ability to de-select you from it.
100% had SSSS. I was surprised that it disappeared in London on a reprint.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
... but on ex-LCY flights it can be a real chore!!
I haven't had it out of LCY yet, for most of my US trips they are exLHR, if you get SSSS for the babybus where do they do the check?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
It’s only a problem as I was planning to arrive at LHR after checkin closes due to other commitments.

I was flying into LCY not LHR from DUB.

Airportr is brilliant on ex-EUs normally as it allows you to go HBO to your ex-EU departure point and send your bags to the second sector before you leave.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As frequently reported on e.g. the AA and DL boards and various travel blogs having Global Entry or Pre Check does not exempt you from possible selection for SSSS.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:03 am

I've done the T5-T3 with left-luggage shuffle before, and plane-lounge was faster than the airside transfer!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Of course the excellent solution I agreed with BA was an exception and unlikely to be repeated for the majority of passengers.

The original suggested solution from BA was just to get to LHR early and check in, which didn’t work for me. And I suggested dropping the first leg without repricing which the duty manager agreed to.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I haven't had it out of LCY yet, for most of my US trips they are exLHR, if you get SSSS for the babybus where do they do the check?
So unless this has changed since last year, for LCY, you first wait at check in till someone comes pick you up from airside. It can take 10-15 minutes. They then take you to a cupboard like place just behind the main escalator (still on the ground floor) where they conduct the brief interview, and then they take you up to normal security where you have a further thorough luggage check.

The whole process takes about 30 minutes, including the longish waiting time. It is all very polite and fine but slooowww...

That said, this was a time when SSSS was precisely about 1-2 people per flights, now that you mention it is a lot more, they might have also organised the process better as there was no point in them doing so for 3 people a day before!
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Airportr is brilliant on ex-EUs normally as it allows you to go HBO to your ex-EU departure point and send your bags to the second sector before you leave.
Perhaps not in your specific situation as I think you were doing a LHR-LCY shuffle, but generally if doing your positioning from LHR and first leg back to LHR you can go HBO for your b2b. Usually you can check in your bag at LHR for your long haul before doing the positioning and first leg of your exEU booking.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Perhaps not in your specific situation as I think you were doing a LHR-LCY shuffle, but generally if doing your positioning from LHR and first leg back to LHR you can go HBO for your b2b. Usually you can check in your bag at LHR for your long haul before doing the positioning and first leg of your exEU booking.
Yes. I’d originally planned this as a night before B2B in DUB. I used a schedule change to move it to this morning as it became clear that B2B was increasingly risky. I like to fly into LCY as I work in the city and can be plane to desk in under 30 mins b
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Vgravity
I was flying into LCY not LHR from DUB.
That does indeed make a difference; I'd gone by the "LHR-DUB-LHR" in the original post.

There are still backup solutions, including the left luggage facility at LCY. But all of them do require leaving extra time before the long-haul flight. I think it's simply one of those disadvantages of doing ex-EU trips. There are more steps, and more things that can go wrong, even in little ways like getting an SSSS. You can't always have all of the same flexibility that you'd have if flying on an ex-LON ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.