LHR-BKK Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by DeanB
I've flown 3x to Bangkok over the last few months in WT+ / premium economy

I did a BA 777 direct - very ropey old bus. No power sockets or decent IFE
Then tried a BA 787 connecting via KUL to an MH A320, which was decent & fairly easy to transfer, but still a bit of a pain on timing
This time I gave up and flew direct LHR-BKK on EVA instead. Their PE in a 777ER was quite impressive, and the 9pm timing from London means it's easier to sleep
MH A320? Probably a B737-800.
Calum likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by JustPete
At the moment Google flights is only offering me direct flights back and prices of about 1500...
It's a tough decision as it seems that you don't need to chase TPs. I'd consider WT with your friends and paying for exit row seats, sleeping pills and earplugs. You'll save money as well as face.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by florens

I've spent a lot of time in KUL over the last 6 months and have yet to see a single MH A320
florens likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I fly ex EU and ex US - BKK quite a lot.

If I can, I fly the fabulous QR J product. It helps me keep my BAEC gold with a nice lump of TPs and really is a great experience. I think BA's J product is poor and the BA9/10 CW experience is appalling but I think in Y, its OK, At least it's not an accursed 10 abreast 777 (yet!!)
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by capin

If I can, I fly the fabulous QR J product. It helps me keep my BAEC gold with a nice lump of TPs and really is a great experience. I think BA's J product is poor and the BA9/10 CW experience is appalling
That’s the great thing about competition - hopefully (although I’m not holding my breath) the current chasm in quality between QR’s and BA’s BKK J offerings will eventually force BA into ‘upping their game’. For that we should thank QR.
rossmacd and capin like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I remember the days when BKK was a 747 with great flight times. Now it's the tattiest of 777's and IMO a dreadfully timed flight. I have avoided Ba's flight to BKK like the plague for a few years now, preferring to go via HKG.
Calum and capin like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Carlson, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
It's a tough decision as it seems that you don't need to chase TPs. I'd consider WT with your friends and paying for exit row seats, sleeping pills and earplugs. You'll save money as well as face.
No I am chasing the TP like I mention earlier. My work travel has bombed considerably over the last few months, so a trip like this has the option to be a big boost to my balance, and to keep me at least at silver when I combine it with an MCO flight I need to plan for the second half of the year. So I've already told my friends I will be on the BA9 out with them, but I will be up front, and I will be meeting them in the terminal as I will be coming in Ex-EU.

I'm keeping one eye on the TP Run and the Premium Fare threads, and think I will ask in there for some help on how to book it all. But will definitely be trying to route back through KUL or HKG (Maybe more likely HKG for upper deck CW, although I have yet to fly a 787).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
No I am chasing the TP like I mention earlier. My work travel has bombed considerably over the last few months, so a trip like this has the option to be a big boost to my balance, and to keep me at least at silver when I combine it with an MCO flight I need to plan for the second half of the year. So I've already told my friends I will be on the BA9 out with them, but I will be up front, and I will be meeting them in the terminal as I will be coming in Ex-EU.

I'm keeping one eye on the TP Run and the Premium Fare threads, and think I will ask in there for some help on how to book it all. But will definitely be trying to route back through KUL or HKG (Maybe more likely HKG for upper deck CW, although I have yet to fly a 787).
If it's tier points you want then bear in mind that QR business will get you 560 so you're almost at silver.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by florens

Haha, fair enough! After I got off a 13hr LHR-KUL I guess I was a bit fuzzy & just assumed that a short-haul OW plane was probably an A320...
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Royal Orchid Silver, HH Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Immigration at Bangkok can be an absolute nightmare - over two hours at times. If you do fly at the back it's worth shelling out about 20 each and buying the fast track service before you go. My brother used it a couple of weeks ago and (without baggage) was getting in a taxi within 15 minutes of landing.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by thereandhere
Immigration at Bangkok can be an absolute nightmare - over two hours at times. If you do fly at the back it's worth shelling out about 20 each and buying the fast track service before you go. My brother used it a couple of weeks ago and (without baggage) was getting in a taxi within 15 minutes of landing.
What do yo get for this fast track service please?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by capin
What do yo get for this fast track service please?
I would imagine it gets you through the VIP/fast track lanes.

Theres also a meet and greet service with a golf buggy meeting you off the plane. Handy if you end up right at the end of the C or E concourses as thats a heck of a trek.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

I would imagine it gets you through the VIP/fast track lanes.

There’s also a meet and greet service with a golf buggy meeting you off the plane. Handy if you end up right at the end of the C or E concourses as that’s a heck of a trek.
Thanks,

If flying business, I always pop into the normal immigration area and ask how long the queue is. If it's reasonable, I keep the fast track voucher and just go through normal immigration and maybe use the voucher on my next economy trip if the queue is long. Might be useful for some to know that all over 70s can use the VIP/fast track lanes without a voucher.

If the queue at immigration is long, I think the paid service is good value.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
When the kids were babies, we always got ushered through the VIP lane simply by virtue of the fact that one of them was asleep in the pushchair
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Appreciate the responses... I dont know why but I thought there were no crusty planresin the LHR fleet. But I do mainly fly short haul from there.

Well one of the non direct options it was offering a connection through KUL, and then back to LHR with the 787. So might at least take that option to change things up.
All of the 3-class 772 aircraft at LHR, plus the 12F configured 772 aircraft and half the 744 fleet have the unrefurbished WTP/WT seats and ropey Rockwell Collins AVOD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.