Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-BKK Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Carlson, IHG Gold
LHR-BKK Fleet

I’m planning on flying to BKK to visit friends in July. They will be here beforehand visiting family, and they want me to fly back with the. On the same flight. It’s one of the myriad of 777 Variants that BA fly. But I am most familiar with the LGW 777’s as I am often on the MCO flights.

is this aircraft the same offering??? I just ask as I hate WT in that cabin, so this will likely dictate if I leave my friends and fly in CW (I’ll be honest it’s an eleven hour flight and overnight, so I’m already 90% sure I will).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes the cabins will be the same as the MCO aircraft.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yep, the knackered ones.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Entry-level in every scheme :-)
I can attest that the old 777s BA fly LHR-BKK are indeed horrible in WT.

I suspect CW will be sub-par cabin-wise as well.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the responses... I don’t know why but I thought there were no crusty planresin the LHR fleet. But I do mainly fly short haul from there.

Well one of the non direct options it was offering a connection through KUL, and then back to LHR with the 787. So might at least take that option to change things up.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My sources tell me that WT on the 787 ain’t no picnic either.
xtommox likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Entry-level in every scheme :-)
Flying via KUL you'll have a choice of BA or MH. MH are flying A350s and A380s - the A380s are old and suffer from poor cabin maintenance, but I reckon the A350s will be OK.

Worth noting that MH don't pay Avios on the cheapest fare classes, in case you care about that.

Also KUL are notorious for baggage problems, something to bear in mind.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
My sources tell me that WT on the 787 ain’t no picnic either.
Well based on the outbound aircraft. I’m pretty much made up on CW now. Think I can make it an ex-eu from AMS too, so I can make some good Tier Points out of it at least!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Especially if you also want to visit cities outside BKK, I always recommend going via HKG or SIN to get the BA A380, use the excellent lounges and take a short hip to Thailand.

The flight times may also work better, generally departing later in the day from LHR and arriving back 1st thing.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:48 pm
Suspended

I think BKK could benefits from the newly configured Gatwick 10 across B777s. At least that would be an upgrade in terms of WT and WTP products.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongcao
I think BKK could benefits from the newly configured Gatwick 10 across B777s. At least that would be an upgrade in terms of WT and WTP products.
have we seen any yet? I didn’t think any had rolled out yet!?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I've flown 3x to Bangkok over the last few months in WT+ / premium economy

I did a BA 777 direct - very ropey old bus. No power sockets or decent IFE
Then tried a BA 787 connecting via KUL to an MH A320, which was decent & fairly easy to transfer, but still a bit of a pain on timing
This time I gave up and flew direct LHR-BKK on EVA instead. Their PE in a 777ER was quite impressive, and the 9pm timing from London means it's easier to sleep
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
If you intend flying CW, it might be worth trying to start from AMS (INCEU60) before LHR-BKK (the Premium Fare thread will have more on this) - you can save some money and come back via HKG on something flashier, starting with the CX A350 BKK-HKG. IIRC a 777 and an A380 go within 30 minutes of each other. I took the 380 but it was noisy.

CW gets you priority immigration at BKK, always a plus.

I see you have the gen on AMS.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

CX can do A350 BKK-HKG-LGW if you chose the BKK-HKG flight wisely.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
If you intend flying CW, it might be worth trying to start from AMS (INCEU60) before LHR-BKK (the Premium Fare thread will have more on this) - you can save some money and come back via HKG on something flashier, starting with the CX A350 BKK-HKG. IIRC a 777 and an A380 go within 30 minutes of each other. I took the 380 but it was noisy.

CW gets you priority immigration at BKK, always a plus.

I see you have the gen on AMS.
yep this is what I’m looking into, my outbound is kind of dictated by being on the same LHR-BKK as my friends, but I will fly out to AMS the night before or that morning, and then back in and meet them airside.

At the moment Google flights is only offering me direct flights back and prices of about £1500, sure I was getting cheaper the other day and the KUL option that I mentioned earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.