Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-JER: Is it worth the risk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
What time of year is this, and can you make the JER trip the day before? I did an ex-JER in WT last September, for a net saving of only about £80. My JER-LGW was around 7pm, with a 4pm LHR-YYZ the next day.

I booked onto the 9am Flybe LCY-JER, with a back-up plan of booking onto any of about 3 BA LGW-JER services around 12pm, 3pm or 5pm (B2B), which would still have let me make the flight home. Flybe was about 90 minutes late, but other than that it all worked fine. I figured fog was unlikely in early September, and had all those back-up options. With the long-haul leg the following day, that also gave me some extra comfort if all my back-up plans had failed.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
In my opinion, the saving isn't worth the hassle and the risk. Maybe 300, surely not 30.
If you want to take advantage anyway to see Jersey, etc, then I would suggest to go there the day before
ringingup likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
What time of year is this, and can you make the JER trip the day before? I did an ex-JER in WT last September, for a net saving of only about £80. My JER-LGW was around 7pm, with a 4pm LHR-YYZ the next day.

I booked onto the 9am Flybe LCY-JER, with a back-up plan of booking onto any of about 3 BA LGW-JER services around 12pm, 3pm or 5pm (B2B), which would still have let me make the flight home. Flybe was about 90 minutes late, but other than that it all worked fine. I figured fog was unlikely in early September, and had all those back-up options. With the long-haul leg the following day, that also gave me some extra comfort if all my back-up plans had failed.
I need to be in MCT on Sunday 22nd April, so in almost exactly a month's time.

Looked at doing it the day before, it reduces the total savings to a paltry £10 after considering all other costs.

Shame the £400 AMS-LHR-MCT-AMS fare has gone really.

Having said that, I'm still tempted by the day trip to JER...
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
FLYmayBE

Not worth the risk
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
I need to be in MCT on Sunday 22nd April, so in almost exactly a month's time.

Looked at doing it the day before, it reduces the total savings to a paltry £10 after considering all other costs.

Shame the £400 AMS-LHR-MCT-AMS fare has gone really.

Having said that, I'm still tempted by the day trip to JER...
Maybe I'm more reckless than some on here, but I'd go for it on that basis. Late April, I'd hope that total fog shutdown would be unlikely, and if you build in plenty of contingency with the day before, it should be fairly low risk. Plan your back-up options well - if you're starting on the south coast, could the ferry be an option?

Don't do it just for the money saving, but think of it as a free trip to Jersey...
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
So I can save myself ~£100 on a WTP ticket by doing an open jaw JER-LGW/LHR-MCT-LHR rather than going straight from LHR but is it worth the risk?

Once I factor in rail travel, positioning flights (flybe from SOU, which is at least easy for me to get to) and a national express from LGW-LHR it only saves me £30 but of course I get a few more TP, get to visit JER (never been before) and get to fly a Dash 8 (never flown one before).

I'd be looking at getting a 10:50 from SOU, arrives 11:35 (BE241). My JER-LGW departs 15:35, arrives 16:40 (BA2773). Then depart LHR at 19:55, all on the same day.

I also have a flight departing MCT on QR the same day as I arrive (arrive 6.25am, depart 17:55, QR1127)

Is this just crazy? Am I asking for this to go wrong?
Not a chance would I do it to save £30 (all costs accounted for). Especially all same-day before a longhaul. When I fly ex-USA and go to LAX to save money (~$1800/person) I go the night before and get a hotel.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:41 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
getting a 10:50 from SOU, arrives 11:35 (BE241). My JER-LGW departs 15:35
So you'll have 2½ hours in Jersey, I guess that's enough time to take the bus to St Helier and back, but I wouldn't call that a proper day trip unless you never want to go there again, since next time you'll need to go into town anyway.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I did an excellent short day trip to Jersey with the missus in January, dropped the toddler off at nursery, eggs Benedict in the Gatwick Flounge, 7 course surprise tasting menu in the Michelin starred Bohemia bar and grill (highly recommended, and they accelerated the pace of it a little for us, not at the expense of the truffle shaving time, I've never seen so many truffle shavings on a dish), then back to pick the boy up before his bedtime.

Nice destination. I go there again in April for the first part of an ex-Jer to Catania.
rockflyertalk and davm666 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I did an excellent short day trip to Jersey with the missus in January, dropped the toddler off at nursery, eggs Benedict in the Gatwick Flounge, 7 course surprise tasting menu in the Michelin starred Bohemia bar and grill (highly recommended, and they accelerated the pace of it a little for us, not at the expense of the truffle shaving time, I've never seen so many truffle shavings on a dish), then back to pick the boy up before his bedtime.

Nice destination. I go there again in April for the first part of an ex-Jer to Catania.
This is the post of the day!

one question... in your quest to become GGL... surely the cost of the 7 course tasting menus and drinks at Bohemia must have eaten up all the savings of at least one exEU?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The visit wasn't part of the quest, it was a day out to try out gold status for the first time. As I recall the cost of going to Jersey and eating very well indeed was less than some rather poorer meals I've had in London. It was really very reasonably priced indeed.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Sorry to drag this one up again, but after a bit more google-fu it looks like I can indeed do a B2B the day before and it'll even save me slightly more money than originally anticipated. I can also do a day trip the day before (not B2B).

Am I better off booking as a B2B or will I still be OK if I do first flight in, last flight out? Either way the outbound will be an RFS...

Originally Posted by bisonrav
The visit wasn't part of the quest, it was a day out to try out gold status for the first time. As I recall the cost of going to Jersey and eating very well indeed was less than some rather poorer meals I've had in London. It was really very reasonably priced indeed.
If you want a good quality reasonably priced Michelin starred tasting menu I can't recommend The Forest Side in Grasmere enough. It's staffed mainly by alumni of L'enclume, food is just as good IMO and it's quite a bit cheaper. Unfortunately there's nowhere nearby served by BA so you'll have to drive though!
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Am I better off booking as a B2B or will I still be OK if I do first flight in, last flight out? Either way the outbound will be an RFS...
Short answer: B2B. Longer answer: see the Dashboard for the EU turnaround thread, or the DUB Logistics thread, where the wiki explains the logic behind B2B.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone, booked a B2B in the end and decided to forgo the day out...
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.