FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Compensation for mistake with special meal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1898819-compensation-mistake-special-meal.html)

offtothehills Mar 18, 2018 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 29535190)
I don’t think anything would satisfy the OP.

500,000,000 Avios, possibly.

offtothehills Mar 18, 2018 2:39 am

Originally Posted by dougzz (Post 29535295)

Do you find vegetarians of the hippie kind or quasi kind more to your liking. If this need to hint that vegetarians are in some way less real dietary needs than others I don’t get it. I have a colleague that cannot eat meat, he’s so repulsed he’ll be sick within seconds, he was once served a pizza with hidden meat/fish and was sick dashing for the toilet despite spitting it out immediately. Interesting you mention gluten, I see many people eating bread and pastry having previously told me they were gluten intolerant, their choice, I don’t mind.

I’m just not sure that the special meal not being loaded is compensation worthy. I’m not sure I’m right. If it’s a full on allergy then yes perhaps, but certainly not for religious or ethical reasons. But then I wonder if I’m devaluing mental aspects over physical ones. It’s bloody complex this business.

I have coeliac disease (no gluten allowed) - it's an autoimmune disease. It's not a lifestyle choice. It also has a negative impact on short and long term health, with many possible complications.
However, on one BA flight, my GF meal wasn't loaded and CC were really helpfulI and gave me plenty of options to choose from. I always travel not expecting to have the best eating experiences on board, then I'm not disappointed. But it's usually fine. In fact, I don't order GF now, it's generally easy to find GF food on most flights. I would never have thought of asking for Avios etc - it's just life and it could be worse that not getting a choice of meal.

offtothehills Mar 18, 2018 3:33 am

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 29535776)
Well, the comp I previously received for an IFE malfunction was above what I'd expect (and I did not even request any comp), so I don't think the issue here is of generally excessive expectations (not to mention "greed").

My point is that it makes no sense to consider what BA "normally" gives as the reference point for what is fair. It should be the other way around.

Think about it this way: before 2005 anyone could say that expecting comp for a 4 hour delay is unreasonable, or that more than Eur50 is "greedy" because BA normally gives at most 2,000 avios as comp for such delay, etc. Yet once EC261 came into effect, Eur600 became the standard for what is fair. Since nothing changed in how such delays actually impact people, this means that Eur600 should be seen as fair also for the time prior to the regulation.

In the same way, consider that it's only due to competing priorities and/or pressure to minimize new regulation and/or relatively low frequency of missed-meal issues, that there is (as of yet) no EU regulation for compensation amounts of such incidents. This does NOT mean that whatever BA normally gives is remotely close to what otherwise would have been ruled as fair and enforced.

The arguments some make here about "you ate something so why should you get any comp" are just ridiculous. If you bought a J ticket but was then downgraded to Y, would it make sense for you to hear "hey, they got you from point A to point B on time, and they arranged for you an alternate seat which you tolerated, so just be content with an apology and be grateful if they gave you a few measly avios" ?

OP, please tell us what you want us to say. :)

gcuk Mar 18, 2018 3:53 am

The overwhelming consensus of the board is the compensation was more than adequate. OP doesn't agree and probably never will.
I suggest we stop posting on the issue so it drops down the list, off the front page and into obscurity.
There are far more interesting threads to read.

offtothehills Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am

Redacted.