FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Compensation for mistake with special meal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1898819-compensation-mistake-special-meal.html)

Flame3601 Mar 15, 2018 8:44 am

If OP finds that the bare minimum they would expect, I wonder what they would deem a generous offer in their view for such failure.

Tiger_lily Mar 15, 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601 (Post 29527910)
If OP finds that the bare minimum they would expect, I wonder what they would deem a generous offer in their view for such failure.

probably an extra zero on the offer :rolleyes:

Steve in Olympia Mar 15, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by lorath (Post 29527188)
For a website dedicated to travel and a forum particularly focused on maximizing BA benefits and otherwise providing guidance on keeping a step ahead of BA, surely the sentence ‘you have been severely over compensated’ does not belong?

Surely, I would hope that participants on this website would make a clear distinction between maximizing their benefits, and making making unreasonable demands for excessive compensation.

Exactly how are we all served by the latter?

two_scoops Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

10,000 is very generous. Stomping your feet and demanding more is just acting like a spoiled brat.I have no sympathy for the OP.

cjb666 Mar 15, 2018 11:32 am

Interesting that history is repeating itself for the OP

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...-about-tk.html

Can I help you Mar 15, 2018 11:35 am

How interesting, the OP seems unlucky.

nufnuf77 Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by cjb666 (Post 29528604)
Interesting that history is repeating itself for the OP

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turk...-about-tk.html

These things do happen. I have a year of BA flying with no incidents (2017 - 160 flights) and in 2018 had non-working IFE twice, non-working CW seat twice, lack of special meal twice, and finally this week pieces of broken crockery in my special meal. Sometimes you can go long time with nothing, and suddenly a storm ;)

bamba70 Mar 15, 2018 12:00 pm

I was in WTP on a nearly $2k ticket when I could have flown the same route for about half of that with another airline offering lower overall standards/convenience.

In my company we charge very high prices for premium service, and generally offer very generous compensation whenever anything goes wrong. It seems to me like all self-respecting businesses should adopt such practice, even in their own self-interest (see where it got Amazon..)

Globaliser Mar 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 29528713)
... and generally offer very generous compensation whenever anything goes wrong.

And that is exactly what you got, even if you got lucky.

haroon145 Mar 15, 2018 12:28 pm

I was in WTP on a nearly $2k ticket when I could have flown the same route for about half of that with another airline offering lower overall standards/convenience.

In my company we charge very high prices for premium service, and generally offer very generous compensation whenever anything goes wrong. It seems to me like all self-respecting businesses should adopt such practice, even in their own self-interest (see where it got Amazon..)

i think your missing the point you consumed an alternative meal, the crew made a mistake but you seemed to be more concerned in getting more compensation then 10,000 offered which is generous

how much the ticket cost is irrelevant, where was you flying too

most people would not have received anything but an apology

im not sure what the nature of your company is but im sure it cannot be compared to the aviation industry
have you received the 10,000 avios already? A call to CR would raise eyebrows as this is very generous service recovery

GM1985 Mar 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Here’s one way of looking at it. Your ticket (return?) cost $2,000. For the sake of argument (and yes, I know this is not how flights are priced), call it $1,000 per leg (outbound & return). On one of your flights, you did not get a meal and instead received 10,000 Avios valued here by others at £100GBP ... or approximately $140. That’s a 14% refund of the theoretical “value” of your flight (assuming it was a return trip and your meal was delivered on the other segment). Otherwise it’s still a 7% refund.

If BA had charged you $140 for a special meal, would you have paid it?

firstlight Mar 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Phew, I'm just glad I didn't ask for 100,000 avios for the missing hotel chocolat on Mrs Firstlight's plate on our recent famous CW journey from KIN on G-VIIX :-)

bamba70 Mar 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by haroon145 (Post 29528853)

i think your missing the point you consumed an alternative meal, the crew made a mistake but you seemed to be more concerned in getting more compensation then 10,000 offered which is generous

how much the ticket cost is irrelevant, where was you flying too

most people would not have received anything but an apology

im not sure what the nature of your company is but im sure it cannot be compared to the aviation industry
have you received the 10,000 avios already? A call to CR would raise eyebrows as this is very generous service recovery

My notion of what would be appropriate, not to mention generous, was affected both by expectations due to past experience (getting 20k avios for an IFE malfunction, when I couldn't care less about the IFE...), the low valuation I personally attribute to avios, the relative value I give to having a special meal, and the general context.

haroon145 Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 29529228)
My notion of what would be appropriate, not to mention generous, was affected both by expectations due to past experience (getting 20k avios for an IFE malfunction, when I couldn't care less about the IFE...), the low valuation I personally attribute to avios, the relative value I give to having a special meal, and the general context.

however, I think you’ve missed the point completely you may not value IFE malfunction as much as a special meal but on the whole Ife not working is more of an issue especially on a long flight

you didn’t go hungry and these mistakes happen, I don’t think you’ve said where you was travelling too all we know it was in wtp

ba’s service recovery guidelines have changed as well so this was more than a fair offer, in your post you have just come across wanting to see what else, how much more you can get, it doesn’t seem like you really cared about the fundamental issue you raised - special meal

tbh I’m surprised the purser even entertained this, have the 10,000 avios posted yet?

bamba70 Mar 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by GM1985 (Post 29529061)
If BA had charged you $140 for a special meal, would you have paid it?

No, but how is this relevant?

Think about it this way: EU rules define a €600 compensation if a flight is over 4 hrs late. If airlines would reduce the rate by €600 for a flight that often arrives 4 hours late, then offer customers to pay €600 in order to somehow ensure that they arrive on time, how many do you think would pay that €600? And yet, the EU thinks that €600 compensation is fair... why? The passengers got to where they needed to get, got the meals, and even IFE, so why shouldn't an apology suffice? Surely the vast majority of passengers' time isn't worth €150 an hour...