FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Compensation for mistake with special meal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1898819-compensation-mistake-special-meal.html)

Steve in Olympia Mar 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 29525756)
.......having to choose between a regular meal (when vegetarian was ordered for ethical and health reasons) and being forced to fast for many hours (I happened to get to the flight after a long day with hardly any food, and skipped the lounge), is extremely aggravating. Not sure if non-vegetarians can fully understand this, but I understand your point about waste of time in trying to get more.

it is not BA's fault that you had "a long day with hardly any food."

it it is not BA's fault that you "skipped the lounge."

No one but yourself is responsible for you being "forced to fast for many hours."

Yes, BA screwed up your special meal request. But you bear equal responsibility. 10,000 Avios was far too generous, in my opinion.

rocketship87 Mar 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Well done getting 10K, I'll keep that in mind for the next time they mess up my special meal. From one veg to another, my advice is to always bring your own snacks! IME BA has the worst vegan meals so even when they do get my meal right, it may not be edible!

@DragonSoul I fly CX twice a month and never had an issue with the vegan meal, and its always been tasty!

Cat Man Do Mar 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Or you could keep pushing for more. Perhaps they'll decide the 10k was unauthorized or inappropriate and claw back 9k avios.

DragonSoul Mar 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by rocketship87 (Post 29526686)

I fly CX twice a month and never had an issue with the vegan meal, and its always been tasty!

Sorry. Should have said that I've never had a vegetarian meal on CX because they weren't loaded, and there was never another option.

madfish Mar 15, 2018 12:12 am

OP has been asked but not answered questions regarding cabin and route. Does this make a difference? I would say so. A short overnight flight in Y from BOS/LHR is very different to travelling in J from LHR/SIN.

Frankly I find the idea that the OP is demanding 20k avios ludicrous. The offer of 10k is already generous. Of course in context of this being F on a real long haul flight, then perhaps 10k is not so generous. Although I am sure there would have been plenty of options had this been the case.

2035 Mar 15, 2018 1:10 am

Last time they forgot kosher meal LHR-BKK in CW as GCH, after much discussion maximum I could get was 4K Avios. I could eat nothing at all for whole flight apart from an apple.
Cabin crew confirmed it was a catering mistake, my meal was listed on the manifest and crew noted both meals were missing when they checked meals but didn't want to delay flight by reporting to catering.

DYKWIA Mar 15, 2018 2:12 am

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 29525679)
I took some regular meal instead, and asked the FA to check whether it was a mistake in how I order the meal, or that it wasn't loaded for some reason

You got 10k miles for eating a meal that you didn't choose... Good result IMO.

Johnnieboy Mar 15, 2018 2:55 am

You ate another meal, it later turned out that your ordered meal was actually on the plane so presumably you could have had that as well if you wanted, AND you've been offered 10k avios. Nice work if you can get it.

All She Wrote Mar 15, 2018 2:55 am

10,000 avios at 1p/point is £100, unless it's a common occurrence just take them and be grateful they cared enough to offer compensation at all!

Lucanesque Mar 15, 2018 2:55 am

Originally Posted by bamba70 (Post 29525756)
No IFE is a tiny nuisance in my book, but having to choose between a regular meal (when vegetarian was ordered for ethical and health reasons) and being forced to fast for many hours (I happened to get to the flight after a long day with hardly any food, and skipped the lounge), is extremely aggravating. Not sure if non-vegetarians can fully understand this, but I understand your point about waste of time in trying to get more.

Each to their own, no IFE is a real pain IMO on any flight over a few hours, the last time that happened to me (last month) I received 20,000 avios. Not having your special meal, but eating a regular meal anyway, and getting 10,000 avios sounds more than generous. Particularly as it sounds like you weren't that fussed about sticking to your ethical diet when offered an ordinary meal.

LondonElite Mar 15, 2018 2:58 am

What else is there to say...I think at 10,000 Avios and a meal, which must have included some non-meat bits, you came out ahead in my book.

jahason Mar 15, 2018 3:04 am

"Bear equal responsibility"? Seems a bit harsh. If I know I'll be getting a meal on board I won't eat before. Last thing I'd want to do is to order a special meal and then get most of it thrown away because I'm already full.Packing your own food may not be so clever. If you do get the special meal on board and then turn up at customs at the other end with prohibited items. So might have to throw away your own food before you get to customs. As you may gather I seriously oppose wasting food.The good thing about BA in OP's post is that at least they admitted responsibility. 10k Avios seems reasonable compensation. This is a welcome change from BA's attitude of late.

simons1 Mar 15, 2018 3:16 am

Chances of "significant extra compensation" - zero. Don't waste your time. 10,000 Avios is enough.

Not surprising to see the usual defence tactics though - OP should have eaten before etc etc. OP ordered a special meal....it should have been available at the right time. Simple as that.

BillyBleach Mar 15, 2018 3:25 am

If you wanted to buy 20,000 Avios from BA it would cost you £335.

In terms of valuing Avios spending, at 1p per Avios, 20,000 Avios is £200.

Your £100 worth of Avios for a missed meal is plenty compensation IMO.

Can I help you Mar 15, 2018 3:45 am

The OP has been severely over compensated and should keep quiet, CR have been known to reduce the amounts offered if incorrect.