Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I've invited friends from WT, after agreement from the CSD, but I wouldn't dream of inviting more than 2 guests, or for longer than it takes to drink a glass of champagne!
to me 1 guest is Maximum, as 2 would have to obstruct aisle
aceman likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
I imagine if we turned this around then the thread would be very different or probably wouldn’t exist but could you not visit your friend down the back?! It’s really not that bad at the back of the plane!
ttama likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It's completely harmless for someone to have a family member drop to quietly say hello, maybe give them a very brief tour if they've never been up front. However, I don't think it should be allowed, because as we know from all these stories, you don't find out whether someone's really considerate until they get up there, at which point it falls to the other passengers to essentially police the cabin by deciding whether to complain to the crew.

I would prefer if when asked, the CC offered to give the F pax an extra glass of bubbly to take back to their companion as a present. That way they're getting to share the experience a little bit, but without running the risk of disturbing other F passengers.
Sealink and ttama like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Was there any element of service you didn't get? Your first choice taken or refills not offered?
I was surprised to find myself miffed at a pax being permitted to sit in 1C on a domestic as he has to disembark quickly.

So did I, but was hindered by Mr 1C was super annoying.

Im a Gold Snob!
offtothehills and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Reminds me of our LHR-SAN 744 flight a year ago when where an adult daughter in Business or Economy started regular visits with mom and BA Gold dad in 1AK. We were in 2AK.
I had my Bose NC headsets on so I didn't hear much and opened my closet door to improvise a door to at least cut off the view, so I was able to pretty much ignore them.

Mrs. SFO777 had the same idea and I propped her closet door open with her bag to give her some privacy. Although unbeknownced to me, she'd had enough at one point when the rest of the cabin was sleeping that she took it upon herself to tell them to STFU or something similar. LOL. That seemed to work as the daughter went back to her seat never to be seen again and 1AK were quiet the rest of the way, apologizing profusely on numerous occasions.

Genius1 and T8191 like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Was told no before...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:47 pm

Surely there are better ways to ask someone to leave than STFU
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sealink
Surely there are better ways to ask someone to leave than STFU
I agree. But you try reasoning with my wife.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
I agree. But you try reasoning with my wife.

Fair enough
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:03 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SFO777
Reminds me of our LHR-SAN 744 flight a year ago when where an adult daughter in Business or Economy started regular visits with mom and BA Gold dad in 1AK. We were in 2AK.
I had my Bose NC headsets on so I didn't hear much and opened my closet door to improvise a door to at least cut off the view, so I was able to pretty much ignore
I am and always was of a view that for the sake of the other passengers, it was best to say “No”. I cannot understand why parents travel in a different cabin to their children. If you’re family, you travel as family. I’d no more leave a child of mine in Economy and sit in front than I’d fly the aircraft myself.

Just out out of curiosity, how did you know that the Father was BA Gold. Did he tell you?
Tobias-UK and ttama like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
If you want to sit in first then dip your hand in your pocket and pay the price of a F ticket.
Indeed. Is there any other context in which a person's purchase of a premium ticket would create an expectation that friends/colleagues/relatives are entitled to share the premium experience for free? I'm pretty certain that if I asked a train conductor if I could visit a mate travelling first class and partake of whatever goodies go with such a fare when I had only a standard ticket I would be told my options were a. pay the first class fare or b. b****r off!
offtothehills, ttama and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CCayley

Indeed. Is there any other context in which a person's purchase of a premium ticket would create an expectation that friends/colleagues/relatives are entitled to share the premium experience for free? I'm pretty certain that if I asked a train conductor if I could visit a mate travelling first class and partake of whatever goodies go with such a fare when I had only a standard ticket I would be told my options were a. pay the first class fare or b. b****r off!
Lounge guesting.
Steve in Olympia and boutela like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

I am and always was of a view that for the sake of the other passengers, it was best to say “No”. I cannot understand why parents travel in a different cabin to their children. If you’re family, you travel as family. I’d no more leave a child of mine in Economy and sit in front than I’d fly the aircraft myself.

Just out out of curiosity, how did you know that the Father was BA Gold. Did he tell you?

This.
I was travelling in an EK F suite on a night flight, two children, about 9 or ten, whose mother was constantly coming from the J cabin to check up on them. Of course, the children were chatting well on into the night and even when they slept, the mum continued her checks. Yes, there are doors on the suites, however, the mum stood and peered over the walls to see and chat to the children which meant that I could see and hear her. I didn't want to say anything to CC just due to the fact that it was children being checked up on by their mother. As you say, why on earth didn't they just travel together?

Last edited by offtothehills; Mar 12, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by Genius1
Lounge guesting.
Lounge guesting is a stated benefit for certain categories of pax, cabin guesting isn't.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Genius1
Lounge guesting.
True of First, but of course not business class, I suppose. However my point was primarily directed at contrasting expectations surrounding air travel with anything and everything else. No one would expect their possession of an expensive theatre ticket to entitle them to invite friends in the cheap seats to join them for the show, or would expect a first class rail fare to bestow first class travel on friends with standard class tickets, or would expect a theme park to allow their mates to join them on the premium rides if those mates didn't have a pass that covered these, and so on. Yet as soon as it's air travel we get threads asking 'can the rest of the rugby team/my relatives/colleagues use priority check-in/go through premium security/enter the lounge/have priority boarding/join me for drinks and a meal in First Class given that I have a ticket/status that entitles me to such things'. Sometimes the answer is yes, because the airline provides that benefit; sometimes it is no; and sometimes, as in the case of this thread, it is 'maybe': however there seems to be something about air travel that makes people think their friends/relatives/colleagues should automatically get whatever perks their own status or ticket bestows, when in no other context would they expect the same.
ttama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.