Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS day flight vs night flight to UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by madfish
Worth also considering the cost of the Hilton at BOS. It can be quite pricey which may also persuade you to consider the night flight.
Yes, the Boston Hilton is not cheap but you can walk under cover from the hotel to the BA check in quickly, less than 15 minutes, which makes the early flight easier.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It' can certainly be a pricey hotel. My fallback is the Embassy Suites nearby which has the benefit of being by the metro to get into town, as well as multiple free bus shuttles to the airport.
SK likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It' can certainly be a pricey hotel.
Given the prices it's a good hotel on which to use either straight Hilton points or points plus cash rewards. I have another couple of nights in April (before the day flight) and May (after the late return flight).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I like the BOS day flight which is the only one that allows same day connection to MAN as the JFK & ORD flights arrive in London too late. That said, I have twice ended up overnighting at LHR because of delays departing from BOS which is something to bear in mind.

Gerbs likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:56 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
I'm clearly in a minority here but I find that I can actually have worse jet lag after a TATL day flight. If I take a red eye and catch a few hours sleep then if I can survive the next day until my usual bedtime I will sleep through the night and mostly reset my body clock. By contrast the day flight leaves me trying to get to sleep that night at what my body clock thinks is 6pm or 7pm. So I end up wide awake in the small hours of the morning after effectively a few hours afternoon nap, which then leads to a whole week of restless nights and troubled sleep for me.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Personally,
I definitely prefer a day flight from the east coast of the USA to London, if that's possible. My reasons are that the jet lag is much less for me than a
very short overnight "red eye" . In Club World the daytime fights have breakfast as the first and main meal - which isn't so nice as a dinner (or what it should
arguably be, given the timezone change, a lunch service).
I'm not so good at overnights from the east coast of the USA to London, but longer flights especially from the west coast, arriving in the afternoon at London
are very pleasant (in Club) and I sleep enough to feel good when I arrive.
Its probably a very personal thing though that varies between individuals.
PS. I think that one of the reasons why Concorde flights from NYC were so popular was that they avoided the overnight flight.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I find that there's no magic solution for such short distances which is why I much prefer a longer overnight flight where possible in order to get a good night's sleep.

I prefer the day flights from either BOS or JFK but it just puts back the problem 24 hours. It's either a very long day with not much sleep using the overnight or what seems at the time like a very early start (i.e. 2-3am EST) the morning after the day flight. Thankfully, once I'm over that early start I don't seem to have any problems.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by golfmad
I find that there's no magic solution for such short distances which is why I much prefer a longer overnight flight where possible in order to get a good night's sleep.

I prefer the day flights from either BOS or JFK but it just puts back the problem 24 hours. It's either a very long day with not much sleep using the overnight or what seems at the time like a very early start (i.e. 2-3am EST) the morning after the day flight. Thankfully, once I'm over that early start I don't seem to have any problems.
I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. The day flights, in my experience, result in a less prolonged jet lag period. For me, after an overnight flight , its the second night back in London that is the worst, and difficult to sleep at all.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
I love the eastbound day flights. I'll usually get up at 4am EST at the latest, go in the hotel gym, then go to the airport and work on UK time. The AA flights from ORD and JFK are excellent as you get 4h or so of wifi on UK working hours, and a bit of relaxation time, and on AA T3 is deserted when they arrive. Last week I was wheels down to HEx in 25 minutes from JFK with checked luggage.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:47 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I love the day flight back, Wake up super early, fly, land at night , get to hotel, drink, bed Perfect.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm a fan of the daytime flight rather than feeling wrecked from lack of sleep the next day, if I have the choice.

If the on-airport Hilton seems too pricey, bear in mind that the Silver Line SL1 (bus on mostly dedicated route) runs from the Courthouse and World Trade Center stations in the Seaport district, which has several hotels: Westin, Aloft, Renaissance, etc. The SL1 is free from airport, about $2.50 to the airport, tickets can be purchased in the station. There is also an on-airport Hyatt with a shuttle to the terminals.

The airport Hilton is very convenient.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I realise that I'm probably in the minority but I don't like the day flights from BOS. The main reasons being; having to fly up to BOS and staying in a hotel the night before which takes time spending a day of my holiday flying home, falling asleep on the flight home*, the VLML food on that flight was awful, being unable to sleep when I get home. But if it works for you go for it.

*I do so on most modes of transport (day or night) not just flights.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:01 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I can never sleep on overnight flights anyway. A couple of boxed sets usually gets me through!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Until I started reading this thread I never even realised there was a day flight to the UK from the USA. Next thing someone will say there's a night flight from the UK to USA!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IntVic
Until I started reading this thread I never even realised there was a day flight to the UK from the USA. Next thing someone will say there's a night flight from the UK to USA!
There are OW daytime flights from BOS, JFK and ORD. The daytime AA flight from PHL seems to have been suspended.
There are evening flights about 8pm to BOS and JFK.
A flight to HNL could possibly be a night flight.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Mar 8, 2018 at 2:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.