FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BOS day flight vs night flight to UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1897528-bos-day-flight-vs-night-flight-uk.html)

manord Mar 7, 2018 10:04 am

BOS day flight vs night flight to UK

Trying to decide between taking a standard overnight flight home to MAN from BOS on a Wednesday night vs staying overnight at the BOS Hilton and taking the daytime flight on the Thursday morning. Both options would be WTP.
I have used the day flights from ORD/NYC a few times but it was several years ago and I can't recall whether I thought it was a good idea or not! Any opinions?
Also, the daytime flight currently looks empty for my travel date (9 seats open for sale in every bucket) - what is the likelihood of it getting cancelled?

Expatbear Mar 7, 2018 10:26 am

I always take the daytime flights if I can make it work, but I think it depends on your own personal perceptions of what you prefer. I would always prefer a good night's sleep on an actual bed if I can, so I avoid red-eye and overnight flights whenever possible (even with flat beds and business class!). For others, a lost night's sleep isn't a big deal, and they would rather do that than "sacrifice" another day.
If I don't sleep well, the day is a loss anyway, so...

Pilot37 Mar 7, 2018 10:28 am

Taking your last question first - the chances of a cancellation outside of weather or tech reasons is almost nil, this flight is operated by the same aircraft which does the last LHR>BOS flight the previous evening which is generally very popular so the crew and aircraft will be in Boston anyway.
Related to the rest of your question - it is a really your preference which flight you take. The night flight saves on hotel costs but leaves you with jet lag once you arrive, the day flight incurs Boston hotel costs but pretty much eliminates jet lag. How much do you value being fresh on arrival / missing a day in London / incurring a hotel cost in Boston vs. just getting to London with no hotel costs but feeling the effects for a day? Only you can answer that one!

Pilot37

corporate-wage-slave Mar 7, 2018 10:29 am

If you suffer from jetlag then day flights (and staying awake) is a good way to avoid it on the BOS/JFK and AA's ORD services. Some find the night flight - and sometimes a very short night flight - quite disconcerting for several days thereafter. Probably the argument in favour of day flights will only strengthen when wifi is fully rolled out.

flipper118 Mar 7, 2018 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 29496347)
Taking your last question first - the chances of a cancellation outside of weather or tech reasons is almost nil, this flight is operated by the same aircraft which does the last LHR>BOS flight the previous evening which is generally very popular so the crew and aircraft will be in Boston anyway.
Related to the rest of your question - it is a really your preference which flight you take. The night flight saves on hotel costs but leaves you with jet lag once you arrive, the day flight incurs Boston hotel costs but pretty much eliminates jet lag. How much do you value being fresh on arrival / missing a day in London / incurring a hotel cost in Boston vs. just getting to London with no hotel costs but feeling the effects for a day? Only you can answer that one!

Pilot37

Would the crew of the final LHR-BOS really be the same crew for the first BOS-LHR the following day? I understand the aircraft would be.

Expatbear Mar 7, 2018 10:39 am

I forgot to mention the jet lag... it *really* helps me with jet lag to take the daytime flight as well!

Pilot37 Mar 7, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by flipper118 (Post 29496388)
Would the crew of the final LHR-BOS really be the same crew for the first BOS-LHR the following day? I understand the aircraft would be.

No - without checking the aircraft types on the route the crew who operated a Wednesday (for example) BOS>LHR day flight probably arrived on the Monday night late flight. What I was trying to do was show why the flight won’t be cancelled just because it isn’t currently full.

Pilot37

Ancient Observer Mar 7, 2018 10:42 am

In J or F, then night flight. Otherwise, day flight. I sleep in J and F, but find it more difficult in WT+ or WT.

flipper118 Mar 7, 2018 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 29496398)

No - without checking the aircraft types on the route the crew who operated a Wednesday (for example) BOS>LHR day flight probably arrived on the Monday night late flight. What I was trying to do was show why the flight won’t be cancelled just because it isn’t currently full.

Pilot37

I didn't think so, otherwise that would probably be a reason to avoid that flight in itself

manord Mar 7, 2018 10:49 am

Normally I don't suffer from jetlag at all (lucky!) but I also normally avoid flying home from anywhere eastwards of ORD (so that I can get a full sleep). The BOS-LHR overnight might not give me jetlag, but I do like my full sleep, and so that quick flight will leave me short of sleep and maybe a tad grumpy.

There is also UUA availability for WTP to CW on the day flight, but I might not take the UUA anyway as the flight is arguably too short to be worth the Avios (not that I'm short of them).

On this occasion, I can write off the Thursday anyway - i.e., no need to work, etc. - although clearly there is a difference between landing in MAN at lunchtime (if connecting from the overnight) and landing at 10pm (if from the daytime flight).

But once I consider writing off the Thursday, there is also an interesting I fare CW option to DUB for about the same price as the WTP to MAN. I'd have to get myself home from DUB, and I've have to explain why on my expenses, but that looks tempting.

FlyerTalker39574 Mar 7, 2018 10:55 am

I have taken the night flight and it was too short for a good sleep, even with not eating dinner.
On my next trip I will take the day time flight, fingers crossed breakfast in the lounge is good.

mjh0 Mar 7, 2018 11:06 am

I tend to prefer the day flights from the East Coast if they are available too. I even find ORD-UK a bit short at times if there's a strong tailwind at work.

Rubecula Mar 7, 2018 11:07 am

I prefer sleeping in a bed on the ground so have always taken the day flight from BOS. It does take up a full day but unless you are time poor I would recommend the day flight whatever your cabin. As an aside, my understanding is that the last LHR BOS flight (239) and the day flight BOS LHR (238) are MF whilst the other flights are WW.

madfish Mar 7, 2018 11:12 am

Worth also considering the cost of the Hilton at BOS. It can be quite pricey which may also persuade you to consider the night flight.

windowontheAside Mar 7, 2018 11:14 am

Day flights all the way from the East coast. The flights are too short to allow decent sleep between the two meal services.

I find day flights in WT+ pretty comfortable.