Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU to Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
I’ve been planning a similar trip. On my dates WTP plus UUA was a lot cheaper than exEU, and obviously less hassle if your start point is in hitting distance of Heathrow. Unless you need the TPs or are saving Avios up for something else I’d definitely look at that.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Tier points for Economy class cabin on J class fare (JAL)

Hi All,

I had this within another thread but I don't think it was noticed so I’m re-posting here, hope I’m not breaking any rules.

I’m looking at a business class trip from AMS via LHR to Tokyo & Sapporo. ITA Matrix shows J class availability between HND & CTS (BA flight number on JL metal). When I do a dummy booking on ba.com there is a warning that the HND/CTS sectors only have economy class (they’re labelled ‘Domestic’) - the flights that do have J and show on ITA Matrix are not listed. If I book the ‘Domestic’ flights on ba.com (on a business fare) will I get J tier points? If I call ba (or go to a TA) will they be able to get me on the flights I can see on ITA Matrix that do show a J cabin? I'm not concerned about travelling this sector in economy but would like the J tier points.

Not sure if this is relevant but the fare rule on ITA Matrix and ba.com is BA RTSEU14.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
What dates are you looking for? I see that there's a domestic label but it's not telling me that it's economy only.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
AIUI, you ought to get the TPs for the booking class that's on your ticket. If someone can book you into J booking class, then you should get the business class TPs for the sector. But if availability problems mean that you're booked into Y or H booking class, then full economy TPs is what you'll earn.

If it's the latter, I sympathise. We "lost" 20 TPs on a trans-Tasman recently because there was no availability in I class so we had to be booked into Y class notwithstanding that we had bought an I class fare. And now my companion will end the year 15 TPs short of a GUF2, unless we can successfully do something to remedy that shortfall.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster

This is for Dec / Jan next year. One of the flights (HND-CTS) is :

BA4641 23 Dec 2018 09:30

ITA Matrix is showing JL507 (departs 09:05) for that connection.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alpenlupe
This is for Dec / Jan next year. One of the flights (HNS-CTS) is :

Is this a manifestation of the problem that ba.com is reluctant to book flights on anything other than BA codes? If so, then phoning BA to book might yield you a booking in J class on the JL code on that earlier flight.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this a manifestation of the problem that ba.com is reluctant to book flights on anything other than BA codes? If so, then phoning BA to book might yield you a booking in J class on the JL code on that earlier flight.
I'll give them a call - thank-you.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by Globaliser
AIUI, you ought to get the TPs for the booking class that's on your ticket. If someone can book you into J booking class, then you should get the business class TPs for the sector. But if availability problems mean that you're booked into Y or H booking class, then full economy TPs is what you'll earn.

If it's the latter, I sympathise. We "lost" 20 TPs on a trans-Tasman recently because there was no availability in I class so we had to be booked into Y class notwithstanding that we had bought an I class fare. And now my companion will end the year 15 TPs short of a GUF2, unless we can successfully do something to remedy that shortfall.

Hi Globaliser,

Not sure what Airline you were flying with but I had similar situation with BA last week, had CE ticket, flight was cancelled, BA rebooked me for the next day into ET as no CE available, TPs & Avios posted as economy but one call to Gold line after I noticed this and the correct TPs & Avios were posted within 24hrs. Very impressed with customer services.

DtB
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Down the back
Hi Globaliser,

Not sure what Airline you were flying with but I had similar situation with BA last week, had CE ticket, flight was cancelled, BA rebooked me for the next day into ET as no CE available, TPs & Avios posted as economy but one call to Gold line after I noticed this and the correct TPs & Avios were posted within 24hrs. Very impressed with customer services.

DtB
Unfortunately, ours wasn't caused by IRROPS and wasn't a BA-operated service anyway. So I've taken the view that for our own reasons and convenience we made a deliberate choice to fly on a flight on which we had to be booked in economy (but at least that voluntary downgrade was an option) and we therefore have to take the (TP) rough with the (schedule convenience) smooth.
Down the back likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
This is for Dec / Jan next year. One of the flights (HND-CTS) is :

If I do a dummy ITA search for AMS-LHR-HND-CTS departing DEC22 then BA4641 in the proposed results, also the operating carrier equivalent JL509@0930. ITA also shows JL507@0905, which doesn't seem to have a BA codeshare.

For the equivalent search in EF, playing with Point of Sale makes JL505@0830 and JL507 show up in various mixtures , but never JL509.

Overall getting JL509 to show (if that was your goal ) looks like a married segments / POS thing, although I don't know much about those .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 9, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:40 pm

When I do a dummy booking on ba.com there is a warning that the HND/CTS sectors only have economy class (they’re labelled ‘Domestic’) - the flights that do have J and show on ITA Matrix are not listed.
How are you doing that search? If I put AMS-CTS into the standard BA search it finds a route connecting to JL507 and the fare page shows CE/CW/Business for the segments, and if you click the JL0507 flight number on the flight selection page it says "Selling class: J (when Business Selected)".

If you use multi-sector for 3 sectors AMS-LHR@DEC22//LHR-CTS@DEC22//CTS-AMS@JAN4 then on the flight selection page the 2nd sector shows HND-CTS on BA code as "Economy", but if you select BA7+BA4641 and click to the fare page it shows it booked in Business, which should jive you the TP you're looking for.
alpenlupe likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 9, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
For your reference, JAL Dom. sector always comes with Economy, "Class J" and First(Only on selected routes/aircraft). If you purchased Economy fare, you may be able to pay JPY 1,000 Yen upgrade to "Class J" or 8,000 Yen to FC at the airport check in counter if they are still available.
Hope the info helps.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If you use multi-sector for 3 sectors AMS-LHR@DEC22//LHR-CTS@DEC22//CTS-AMS@JAN4 then on the flight selection page the 2nd sector shows HND-CTS on BA code as "Economy", but if you select BA7+BA4641 and click to the fare page it shows it booked in Business, which should jive you the TP you're looking for.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing and it was the 'Economy' on the flight selection page that concerns me (as well as a message stating something like 'cabin class not available'). But, yes, it might turn out when I actually book that it puts me in business.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the advice - the friendliness & knowledge on this board is incredible

I ended up doing the following:

Booked with Trailfinders. All BA flight numbers. Don't understand why ba.com wouldn't give me the domestic Japanese J flights I wanted.
Flying BA7 LHR-HND. Would have preferred JL but the connection from the AMS flight was too tight for my liking. Decided against AY via HEL.
Tokyo-Sapporo flights. J at the times I want.
Returning on JL NRT-FRA (then BA to LHR). The daytime JL flight to LHR was pricey for my dates and I decided against the 02:45 departure - want to make the most of JL
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Thanks everyone for all the advice - the friendliness & knowledge on this board is incredible

I ended up doing the following:

Booked with Trailfinders. All BA flight numbers. Don't understand why ba.com wouldn't give me the domestic Japanese J flights I wanted.
Flying BA7 LHR-HND. Would have preferred JL but the connection from the AMS flight was too tight for my liking. Decided against AY via HEL.
Tokyo-Sapporo flights. J at the times I want.
Returning on JL NRT-FRA (then BA to LHR). The daytime JL flight to LHR was pricey for my dates and I decided against the 02:45 departure - want to make the most of JL
The options for connection looked consistent on ExpertFlyer and ba.com IIRC. Do Trailfinders have you on a single itinerary? ISTR OTA offering single booking / multiple itinerary which may not protect connections with airline, but they effectively include an insurance premium where OTA will rebook you if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.