Search

Ex-EU to Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Ex-EU to Tokyo

Hi All,

I'm looking at an ex-EU trip to Tokyo in business later this year. The forum might be able to advise on the following:
1. Best start/end point? Looks to be AMS to me.
2. Choice of carriers is BA/JL/AY. My preference is JL but timings for BA/AY might be better. Any opinions on best carrier for J? Is AY better than BA?
3. If I do fly JL then the first flight out of AMS arrives LHR T5 08:00 and the connecting JL flight out of T3 departs 09:30. Is that sufficient time?

alpen
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Are you planning a saturday night stay in tokyo which might help reduce the price)

I would also consider FRA, MAD, OSL, CPH ARN. HEL.

I have done Cathay pacific MAD-HKG-TYO ( I do not think Cathay to Hong kong from MAD is daily though) which was very good and in January did FRA-LHR-NRT with BA and NRT-FRA on JL.

I would also consider QR ( Qatar ) if you get a sale price.

Regards

TBS

A 90min connection at LHR T5-T3 is doable ( i think it is just on the MCT time)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll check the other departure points. I tried MAD & DUB but they're more pricey than AMS. CDG is currently a little more than AMS and might be an option.

It's a 2 week trip so we will have a Sat overnight. The actual destination is CTS (Sapporo) but I thought I'd keep things simple for the forum by saying TYO

I've looked at CX to CTS via HKG but it's currently quite pricey.

AMS-CTS return is currently about Ł2K on JL/BA/AY.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have done this journey many times. The most common for me is DUS however which departure point is cheapest is constantly changing. When I have done DUS I have always got BA J for less than Ł2k. This sometimes even includes a JL J segment in it (they need X class open for this to be available but they are not very generous with this class).

In my experience, the JL LHR-HND timing is the best for jet lag.

I wouldn't recommend QR as the total journey time, especially on the return, is similar to flying to/from Australia. This is fine if you are ok to significantly add to your journey time. Also both QR flight times to Japan are a killer for jet lag (for me anyway).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Tried ex BUD? I flew mix AY and JL from BUD via HEL. Inbound was to NRT outbound from Haneda via Osaka..great 4 day trip around 1500 UKP in May. Included JL 787 ex HEL and 330 on AY metal from Osaka. All Business Class.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'll look at the other departure points. So far, AMS is marginally less expensive than the others.

Any comments re AY longhaul business class? How does it compare with BA & JL? In my experience JL is preferable to BA.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alpenlupe
Any comments re AY longhaul business class? How does it compare with BA & JL? In my experience JL is preferable to BA.
I think generally you will find AY closer to BA than JL, but it depends a lot on which aircraft you are on. AY's A350 configuration is somewhat crowded and though it's a great aircraft I would certainly prefer a BA 787, for example. However if you are very used to BA's CW you may find a spin in AY an interesting change Photos and reviews can be accessed in the Finnair forum.

Also check the China and Taiwan pricing if you're not in a hurry and fancy seeing a bit of Shanghai or Taipei.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:19 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
The seating on AY's 350 is pretty good, it is a bit airier than CX's application of the 350 as AY doesn't have overhead lockers above the middle seats whereas CX does. This can make storage a little tight. The lounge in HEL is pretty good if you are sapphire and above, but it can be a little crowded when there are a lot of flights heading east.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Mar 7, 2018 at 3:26 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks all
flyerkit likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:11 am

LOT out of WAW ties in with a number of LOT connections from quite a selection of EU airports including AMS. The only problem is that the early am departure ex AMS is too early to make a same day connection from the UK. Their business class service is good if not exceptional and the fare is the lowest present ly on offer, including a return NRT-LHR via WAW so no need to return to AMS and then on.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Personally I enjoyed the AY 330 throne seats in business. I was comfortable and had great crew..
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
AY has Marimekko amenity kit bags which are a great hit with fans of Finnish design.

On that route I'd probably fly JL if I could.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Thanks everyone, I'll look at the other departure points. So far, AMS is marginally less expensive than the others.

I like the ay a350 business but prefer overall the dus/
​​​​ams lhr TYO option. If you can get the jl41 jl42 thats the very best. Saving two nights in hotels...
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I'm travelling with a friend who's not been to Japan before and he's keen to try the Shinkansen back from Hokkaido to Tokyo (in which case we'd drop the CTS-HND flight). Am I correct in assuming that if we were a no show for that flight then the rest of the ticket would be cancelled? I’m aware I don’t need to book CTS-HND but I’d like to keep our options open.

Last edited by alpenlupe; Mar 9, 2018 at 9:53 am Reason: starting a new thread with J cabin question
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm travelling with a friend who's not been to Japan before and he's keen to try the Shinkansen back from Hokkaido to Tokyo (in which case we'd drop the CTS-HND flight). Am I correct in assuming that if we were a no show for that flight then the rest of the ticket would be cancelled?
That is what you should assume will happen. If the CTS-HND flight is on a different airline from the one operating your onward flight from Tokyo, there's a chance that the message might not get through and you'd get away with it. But I think it would be very unsafe to rely on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.