Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan RWC Companion Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Japan RWC Companion Voucher

Looking for some advice for travel to the RWC in September 2019.

We will be aiming to use a 241 voucher to travel J or F to Japan for the world cup. Obviously, there will be lots of people wanting the reward availability flights that get released each day. We are aiming to go before the tournament starts and see early group games to maximize chances of getting availability and will try the midnight call to get seats for LHR to Tokyo. If this is not successful, which reasonably nearby routes are possible (i.e. not bad value and shortish connecting flights) for Tokyo (or anywhere else in Japan) and are pleasant for a short stopover?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Regret to say cheap flights into Japan are few and far between, close would be China and Korea, I expect not much low cost availability
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Korea? Taiwan? Hong Kong?

I got my Sapporo dome tickets in the draw, didn't manage the England pack though.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Suspect that redemptions in F and J will be few and far. They always are to Japan, even when the RWC is not on. I am planning to use Qatar or Turkish, as I expect BA will be off the scale expensive next September/October.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
You don't need to call at midnight for the outbound flight. Just book online.

Remember the 2-4-1 can only be redeemed on BA metal so you could look at stopovers in KUL, SEL, BKK, HKG, SIN, PVG, PEK and use Avios for the connecting flights to Japan. From further afield you could connect via DOH or even SYD but you would burn more Avios on the onward connection.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
PEK is an obvious consideration because it's the lowest banded option in the Far East (<5,500mi). I would call it an interesting rather than pleasant stopover but you can "transit" over 72hr (each way) without a visa so it's a great way to see a bit of China.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by flyuk

I got my Sapporo dome tickets in the draw, didn't manage the England pack though.
I got the Kobe pack I applied for, didn't get the England pack either.

So will get in the 2 weeks I'm out there (apart from some touristy bits):

England v USA
Ireland v (most likely) Spain
Scotland v (most likely) Samoa

Tempted to get a Tonga v Argentina ticket that's being played about an hour or so outside Kobe.

Will give the SA v (most likely Canada) a miss and head back to Tokyo for a few days before heading home (going to try and get an England V Argentina ticket for when I'm there).

My current thought process is an ex-EU flight from somewhere when released.
flyuk likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:04 pm

Go to Seoul. BA flies into ICN, which has a number of inexpensive flights to the entire Japanese island chain.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by quemalo
Go to Seoul. BA flies into ICN, which has a number of inexpensive flights to the entire Japanese island chain.
This. I've flown that route many times, never seen the aircraft full.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by davm666
I got the Kobe pack I applied for, didn't get the England pack either.

So will get in the 2 weeks I'm out there (apart from some touristy bits):

England v USA
Ireland v (most likely) Spain
Scotland v (most likely) Samoa

Tempted to get a Tonga v Argentina ticket that's being played about an hour or so outside Kobe.

Will give the SA v (most likely Canada) a miss and head back to Tokyo for a few days before heading home (going to try and get an England V Argentina ticket for when I'm there).

My current thought process is an ex-EU flight from somewhere when released.
I'm going to apply for all the tickets individually, and even if I don't get them, going to follow the team through to Tokyo. I'm a staff solo flyer, so if I'm back in the UK I'll just go to T5 and wait for a place to HND/NRT/ICN and then transfer around by aircraft and train.

I'm not going to try for award availability, it's unlikely to be easy to get. As for prices, I don't think they are going to be that much more, the RWC is relatively small in number of travellers, and it's a quiet tourism period anyway.

Might be worthwhile starting a thread closer to the time for the social aspect!
​​​​​​
davm666 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle

See you there! Although a lowly blue by then
flyuk likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by MHendo84
See you there! Although a lowly blue by then
I'll be a newly promoted gold, I'll put up my route closer to the time. Happy to guest anyone in anywhere.

Accomodation in Sapporo won't be a problem, we usually handle so many Asian tourists here, the RWC will be a drop in the ocean.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
I'll be a newly promoted gold, I'll put up my route closer to the time. Happy to guest anyone in anywhere.

Accomodation in Sapporo won't be a problem, we usually handle so many Asian tourists here, the RWC will be a drop in the ocean.
Can I be first on the list

Joking aside, I agree, Sapporo is a fantastic place. Using the RWC as an excuse to get back to Japan and particularly the North.
flyuk likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - much appreciated. I hadn't thought of Seoul, must only be a 2 to 3 hour flight and could be a fun stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.