Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
As compensation for you not putting your feet up for 10hrs once a month they're offering you an EXTRA £26K/yr - a sum that's above the UK average salary.

Get some perspective.

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
My company has a Y-only policy. I like my job in most respects, but I avoid flying as much as possible. Instead, I do rental cars when practical (even if it adds a day or two to my trip.) I've also been trying, somewhat unsuccessfully, to reduce the frequency of business travel. Definitely going to consider writing a J clause into my contract the next time I go job hunting.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Many very successful companies have a Y not policy. It’s funny how some employees make easily 500,000 USD a war, but still have to fly economy!

depends on the pay of the job, and whether it’s something you like. If I really liked the job, I could care less about the y policy !
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
"Only Y" isn't enough info to answer the question.

Do you they let you focus on single airline/alliance? Thus making status much easier to attain/retain

Is it lowest Y only?

Can you buy W? (Premium Economy)

What destinations/routes? OP says it's an American company, so is the travel to the States? If so - I'd think about joining one of the American carriers' programs, where elite upgrades are a bigger part of the program.
-------------------------
My perspective: I work for a company with a "lowest reasonable Y fare" policy - but there's some flexibility in it. We can buy W in some cases. We can focus on a preferred airline/alliance. I get upgraded on most of my domestic flights and a good portion of my intl longhauls. It's fine - I have three long-haul roundtrips in Y coming up in April alone.
--------------------------
Originally Posted by woodey
...but long-haul Y then straight into a meeting seems brutal.

This, however, is worrisome. Straight from the plane into a meeting is just bad policy regardless of travel class. Recipe for tired, stressed employees. Not to mention what happens if the flight is delayed - there goes the meeting.

I'd get clarification to be sure that it's not within policy to arrive the day before the meeting.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by woodey
[left]So here’s the situation, I’m at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the company has an all Y travel policy, no exceptions, even the CEO travels Y (it’s a large America company). I’m likely to need to travel long haul once a month and short haul once a month. I’m OK with the short haul Y, I’m used to that in my current job but long-haul Y then straight into a meeting seems brutal.
Don't go straight to a meeting after a longhaul flight then. If the travel time is 8 hours, then a whole day has been done getting there. Go to the office the next day

On the way back, don't rush off to an overnight flight, wait until morning and head back during the day

By Longhaul, do you mean a fairly short trip like LHR-JFK or something long, like LHR-SIN or SYD

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 2, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I have very little sympathy for the OP in this situation. Unless they have very particular skills in demand then questioning their travel policy before they have even started work isn't always a good idea.But they ahve and the employer has made them an offer.

The £24k salary bump - NET - is a lot more than a lot of people get in annual salary.

You want the money then fly Y - and use it to buy upgrades / lounge access etc. if not turn the job down.

I cant see buying upgrades costing you more then the salary bump even if you fly every week.

The word 'ingrate' comes to mind.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
In the case of the OP, I would take the job for the extra £24k/year after taxes since it really is only 1 RT LH a month and exit row seats can be paid for on almost all airlines between the US and UK/EU. With status that gives lounge access there really is no difference for ground experience between elites and CW.

Personally our company has a Y only travel policy for those working up to a certain position regardless of duration while those above that threshold can fly J for flights that have at least 1 segment that is 10 hours or greater (Y+ for 8 hours or greater where available). It hasn't caused anyone to move/resign AFAIK, and most of those impacted got nice pay bumps based on their past and expected travel.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Probably the most first world problem I've read for weeks.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Interesting question, and I'm a little surprised by how negative the responses are on here to your circumstances. If it's the perfect job for you, and the Y only travel policy for monthly long-haul flights is the only significant downside, then I would take the job without a second thought. If they're going to pay you £2k net extra then it sounds like they are receptive to your concerns, and have found a way to enable you to upgrade your own flights indirectly - assuming I've understood this correctly and the policy is flexible enough to allow you to take personal control over your flight bookings. This is parallel to my own situation, where a Y-only policy can be circumvented by spending the flight expense allowance as I see fit - i.e. in the most comfort I can discern by scouring the pages of Flyertalk and typically visiting various European cities en route to my destination!

Putting all that to one side, travelling with work and hanging out in airport lounges has given me the sense that there are quite a few corporate bods out there who dislike their jobs, and the pressures and demands associated with it, and their J flights are one of the few perks of a rather miserable working life. My view is that if you love the work you do, and you're in good health, then travelling to do it down the back of the bus won't feel like much of a chore, so long as you approach it in the right frame of my mind.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pa31pilot
If the company policy of Y travel is more important than attracting the best person for the job they deserve to fail, and will eventually.
Sounds reasonable.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
For the OP the main question is what is the alternative job? Worse job with worse pay but better travel policy?

Need to balance the trade off of the frequent uncomfortable travel with how “perfect” this job is and how it sets you up for future opportunities.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
With 2K GBP, you can just book a J RT from LHR to US? They're literally 1500 GBP right now for LHR-NYC, 2200-2400 GBP to SFO/LAX. I would just buy my own tickets. The company is being very reasonable here --> your HR person may not have the authority to change the travel policy, but they are making it up to you with straight cash.

I also echo other sentiments on what other offers you have. If I had a job offer that was 2k less per month but had J travel, I would definitely take the cash option and spend to upgrade whenever I wanted.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Use your 8k extra a month for upgrading.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
If I was already Gold or close enough that I could achieve it quickly with this Y policy, then I would take the position. Otherwise I would turn it down. Status makes SUCH a difference in LH travel, especially here in the US where AA flagship lounge (or here in LA, Qantas First lounge) access has been significantly improved.

Folks who ask you to take a reality check because your 2k Y only supplement payment is more than what others make annually is nonsense and they fail to appreciate that this 2k supplement is likely a small % increase in your salary and a reflection of your education, experience and expertise.

I would not count on AUP’s. Quite often my LAX-LHR-LAX AUP requests are denied. And if I have added a rental car (so becoming a BA holidays booking) my AUP rejection rate is 100%.

Good luck.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
As compensation for you not putting your feet up for 10hrs once a month they're offering you an EXTRA £26K/yr - a sum that's above the UK average salary.

Get some perspective.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.