Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Old Aug 24, 18, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Originally Posted by YacozA View Post
Suspect I am sitting just a couple floors below you
Only if you're a receptionist
Old Aug 25, 18, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by YacozA View Post
Suspect I am sitting just a couple floors below you.

Any ideas if J > F would be acceptable to HMRC? or is that using the term "Public Transport" too loosely?
Scale of expenditure
The cost of business travel will not normally have any bearing on whether or not tax relief is available. For example, we would not seek to disallow first class rail travel on the grounds that only standard class was necessary for a journey.
Where the travel arrangements are unusually lavish, we will consider whether, on the facts of the case, the expenditure is really due to business travel, or is, for example, some sort of reward, or part of their normal remuneration. However, we will not seek to deny tax relief for the cost of a journey, hotel room or meal simply because a less expensive alternative is available.
Although some of us here might make a clear distinction between first and business, I suspect no one at HMRC would know that one is more lavish than the other, or that Qatar J is more lavish* than BA F.

If you chartered your own plane, that might become a different matter.

* Not really
Old Aug 31, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
I may be too late to help the OP with their decision making process, but I feel compelled to tell my story:

I used to work for a company that allowed us to book economy for short haul and business for long haul. Then I changed jobs and my current employer allows Y only, for any and all flights, regardless of distance or duration. I did not think it would be a big deal; I figured I'd use my status to achieve upgrades for the long hauls.

I figured wrong.

Having done about a dozen long haul fights in Y since joining my new employer, it is absolutely killing me. And yes, to be fair there was a bit of "Flowers for Algernon" at first, but now it's become a bonafide health issue.

So, if I were in a situation wherein a new job opportunity was in front of me and I knew it would require a lot of long haul travel in Y, I would definitely negotiate some kind of exception or allowance, and if I was not successful I might have turn it down.
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:20 pm

Out of interest, how many here book their own travel and then get reimbursed, as opposed to your company/ corporate travel agency booking directly? (For the CC points )

And any insights on what kind of travel one might expect as a first-year analyst in M&A/ bulge-bracket IB research/ buy or sell-side research firms? Is there also a lot of travel if you want it?
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:31 pm

Booking myself?

It has varied.

Previous company incarnation had a travel system ... so no points for flights ... but hotels were rarely prepaid so i picked up a bit there.

Then we were discovering the BA holiday deals ... and the company let us book those and claim back.

New company is all self paid up until the last year because then I was viewed as the biggest travel spender in the company and was given a company CC to help with currency conversion costs.
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold (finally, first timer!), Air Canada Altitude 100k / 2m
Originally Posted by xjk1 View Post
Out of interest, how many here book their own travel and then get reimbursed, as opposed to your company/ corporate travel agency booking directly? (For the CC points )

And any insights on what kind of travel one might expect as a first-year analyst in M&A/ bulge-bracket IB research/ buy or sell-side research firms? Is there also a lot of travel if you want it?
I started out as a first year in M&A at a bulge-bracket, and I barely made Silver in my first year (you are practically chained to your desk churning out powerpoint presentations and excel models). My boss (MD) made Gold, but nothing more. In equity research you would travel a bit more, but as a first year I wouldn't count on it.
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:48 pm

"Bulge bracket" covers a few different banks and probably hundreds of thousands of analysts doing all sorts of different work, but where I work the graduate programme is centrally structured. Aside from the integration trip to the corporate HQ, I don't hear about analysts travelling internationally.

Spending is supposed to be done on the corporate card, other reimbursements over a certain limit have to be signed off by people who don't like extra paperwork and may forget about it. We also have a few enormous discounts not available to the general public, I assume they cannot be booked except through the proper channels. Anyone of moderate seniority will have someone who arranges travel for them anyway.
Old Aug 31, 18, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
"Bulge bracket" covers a few different banks and probably hundreds of thousands of analysts doing all sorts of different work, but where I work the graduate programme is centrally structured. Aside from the integration trip to the corporate HQ, I don't hear about analysts travelling internationally.

Spending is supposed to be done on the corporate card, other reimbursements over a certain limit have to be signed off by people who don't like extra paperwork and may forget about it. We also have a few enormous discounts not available to the general public, I assume they cannot be booked except through the proper channels. Anyone of moderate seniority will have someone who arranges travel for them anyway.
Originally Posted by Killian_S View Post
I started out as a first year in M&A at a bulge-bracket, and I barely made Silver in my first year (you are practically chained to your desk churning out powerpoint presentations and excel models). My boss (MD) made Gold, but nothing more. In equity research you would travel a bit more, but as a first year I wouldn't count on it.
Thanks! So I presume the 20 something GGL's are all in consulting? Previously I was under the impression that it was consultants, as well as young M&A bankers that travelled (in M&A, structuring deals with clients all over) (and that degree of travel actually decreased with seniority, because of family commitments etc and lack of will to spend so much time in planes/hotels).

And by "bulge bracket" I just meant a very general way of generalising UBS, Goldman, Citi, Morgan Stanley etc etc

If work travel is something that you want to have (even in your first years) are there any particular banks, or specific functions within them that seem to have allow more of it?

Thanks again for the insights.
Old Aug 31, 18, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post
Booking myself?

It has varied.

Previous company incarnation had a travel system ... so no points for flights ... but hotels were rarely prepaid so i picked up a bit there.

Then we were discovering the BA holiday deals ... and the company let us book those and claim back.

New company is all self paid up until the last year because then I was viewed as the biggest travel spender in the company and was given a company CC to help with currency conversion costs.
Thanks, interesting. And do corporate cards accumulate points too (and do you benefit from them?)
Old Aug 31, 18, 4:22 pm

Thanks! So I presume the 20 something GGL's are all in consulting?
I think there's more to the world than the two possibilities of M&A deals and consulting.

(and that degree of travel actually decreased with seniority, because of family commitments etc and lack of will to spend so much time in planes/hotels).
My experience of the finance sector is not very broad, and maybe the M&A folks do things differently to the other pieces of the business, but that is precisely the opposite of what I observe.
Old Aug 31, 18, 8:08 pm
formerly samwilliams88

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Ambassador
I've not read the full thread on this... however, my two pence for what its worth is that Y travel is painful and the long haul flight hours build up real quick. I have gone from an employer which paid for the cheapest ever possible flight (non-direct or direct) in Y no matter the length of the journey. Mainly the Middle East etc. I am now with an employer which if the flight is over 6 hours then we get PE travel. This is all booked by the employee, so I get the miles, status, points from the Credit Card and also access to upgrade and change my flights if I wished. This is then all submitted through an expense SAAS system and paid back the next week (Thankfully).

Having gone from Y travel to the majority of PE travel, I would now not fly anything less than PE whether business of leisure. So I would certainly not drop down to Y travel for a job, UNLESS the increase in pay justified and allowed me to upgrade etc and still have a raise on my old/current salary.

I do have one quick question though regards the interesting article on HFP - on tax relief for upgrades etc. Is this for Self Employed only? Or is Employed by a company allowed to claim this relief? My Permanent place of work is London, however, I am travelling a lot to our HQ in San Francisco to conduct and manage projects and also meeting etc. Would I be able to claim tax relief for the upgrade from PE to J as this is business travel and being in J would allow me to work during the flight and also arrive available to work on arrival?