FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:29 am
Roadster Man

Programs: Mileage Plus, Delta, American
Originally Posted by flying_pig
A rather miserable way of viewing life and work (I mean no personal offence). Sometimes I wonder how widespread this way of thinking is... Certain companies seem to be holding their employees ransom under the implicit threat of termination, which is further aggravated by the culture of debt typical of certain nations (ahem, shall we start with North America?).

There are plenty of companies out there that do not see employees as promptly replaceable, and plenty of Executives who do not share this perspective. I would never, ever want my team - at any level - to work under a similar culture. I don't see how depriving staff of sleep and rest, or even worse forcing them to sacrifice their family life, would ever lead to positive outcomes for the business in the long term. And, yes, I do consider them REALLY valuable.

For full disclosure, this is the managerial point of view of a large global company. I really wish people would stop thinking that perspectives like the one above are normal, or that they are "SOP". It is thankfully untrue.
No offense taken. Unfortunately my experience is that it is not an uncommon view in the US. I work for a global company but each business unit is responsible for market earnings, hence the travel attitude described above. That being said, I do not force my own team to fly over weekends, but the Y class policy is the policy.