Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I wonder how this will effect current bookings made before the April date but for travel after April

Selfishly asking for myself course but I have a ticket booked through AA but on BA flights in the tier Point calculator as "Economy Lowest" apart from the LGW to GLA which is "Flexible"

GOT - LHR in "S"
LGW - MCO in "O"
MCO - LGW in "O"
LGW-GLA in "B"

Wonder how this will pan out given that when they did the 210 to 140 tp reclassifcation of A to I on Domestic First it affected all future bookings too.

Wonder what will happen and whether I will end up having to buy baggage which would be poor
Damn i didnt even think of this. They wont make me pay an additional fee will they? i mean, when they started charging for an extra bag, they always said "reservations made prior to xxx" so hopefully they will do that
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Damn i didnt even think of this. They wont make me pay an additional fee will they? i mean, when they started charging for an extra bag, they always said "reservations made prior to xxx" so hopefully they will do that
As the baggage allowance is part of the contractual conditions contained in your booking, it is unlikely that existing bookings will be affected by the new unbundled fares.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:49 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
It will be based on the baggage allowance shown on your ticket.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
There is a further announcement saying these unbundled fares will be extended to some Middle East and Asian routes from 19th April.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Who are these customers that are so price-sensitive, and why do they not have the same attitude to hotels? Logically we should see hotels charging extra for room cleaning, pillows, towels etc. Why do we not?
Hotels like this do exist. There is a chain called Tune which charges extra for towel rentals, soap and shampoo, room cleaning (£8 per day!), use of a hairdryer, use of a safe, luggage storage, early/late check in/out, wifi, breakfast and so on. You can purchase each of these items individually or as a package of the most popular ones.

However I don't know how popular this is - there used to be one near my office in London but (on double checking before writing this post) this appears to have shut down and so their only remaining UK location is in Liverpool. Their other locations mainly seem to be in Malaysia.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Given that there are many economy fares with a base price of practically zero (a quick search for a LGW-OAK return has a base fare of £11), I wonder how they'll accomplish this.

There's little to no wiggle room in the base fare, so they'll have to play around with YQ which would impact fees on Avios redemptions. They'll undoubtedly still be terrible value though for Economy though.

The one side effect I like is that BA Bronze members would be able to book an AA marketed Basic Economy Fare on a BA Operated flight and get the same service as if they'd bought the same seat on BA's regular Economy product
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Who are these customers that are so price-sensitive, and why do they not have the same attitude to hotels? Logically we should see hotels charging extra for room cleaning, pillows, towels etc. Why do we not?
People put value on where they sleep, more so than the comfort of getting there.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face, the vast majority of people buy flights on price, there are very few other considerations.
Why else would Stansted be so (inexplicably) popular? All those obscure Ryanair airports ... people went there to save a few pounds on the flight, and then paid a small fortune to get to the actual town they want to get to. But happy in the knowledge that they've got a bargain.

Why else have air fares not increased in years? The market is pushing prices down. BA can be aloof to that, but that doesn't get Skyscanner/Google Flights/Expedia search results, and the internet doesn't search added value.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
Hotels like this do exist. There is a chain called Tune which charges extra for towel rentals, soap and shampoo, room cleaning (£8 per day!), use of a hairdryer, use of a safe, luggage storage, early/late check in/out, wifi, breakfast and so on. You can purchase each of these items individually or as a package of the most popular ones.

However I don't know how popular this is - there used to be one near my office in London but (on double checking before writing this post) this appears to have shut down and so their only remaining UK location is in Liverpool. Their other locations mainly seem to be in Malaysia.
I'd say that's partly because of the maturity of the UK budget market: people love Premier Inn and it's a solid proposition. Then you have Travelodge, HI Express, Moxy, Ibis etc.
I think Ibis is superb, the ones I have stayed in have been spotless, and Ibis Styles doesn't feel budget at all.
I think Tune and easyHotels charging for a remote control is even more "nickel and diming" than Ryanair!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
HBO fares on longhaul are going to make boarding and deplaning take longer - and then there won't be enough bin space.

Plus all the uses from OTAs (and TAs) booking or auto-booking pax into the cheapest fares, and people not being aware that bags are not included.

The resultant delays and complaints can't do BA's brand any good.

The fact that BA is not giving status pax a free bag on these fares, even though its partners are, shows how little it is bothers about its regular customers.

I guess BA think they know what they are doing. As a shareholder I am concerned though. Profits may be up in the short term, but the long-term could be a decline in repeat custom. The more corners are cut, the harder it will be to come back and rebuild the airline's reputation.
headingwest and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:49 am

As someone who has started doing more short trips on LH (and in Y a lot of the time) I look forward to this. Just bought the biggest allowable cabin bag that holds 60 litres, perfect for 5 or 6 days away and if I can get a LH flight, still get at least basic TPs and pocket the difference between the standard Y package and this new fare I see it as a win win. Might even put the savings towards a W or J ex-EU ticket when it suits.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
One of the things that is confusing me is that AA’s “B” class Basic tickets do not earn Avios/TP within BAEC. I’ve been carful to avoid booking AA’s Basic tickets because of this. So am I to assume that LH Basic tickets issued by AA will include bags for elites, but no Avios or TP?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BA0197
One of the things that is confusing me is that AA’s “B” class Basic tickets do not earn Avios/TP within BAEC. I’ve been carful to avoid booking AA’s Basic tickets because of this. So am I to assume that LH Basic tickets issued by AA will include bags for elites, but no Avios or TP?
Yet if you book a WT+ flight with an AA connection, the AA flight books into B class BA wise and you get 20TP and Avios.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Yet if you book a WT+ flight with an AA connection, the AA flight books into B class BA wise and you get 20TP and Avios.
Indeed, but that is on a BA issued ticket where BA flight numbers apply. If you book the same flights via AA with AA flight numbers, it usually books into P for the LH leg and Y for the short haul connection.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by BA0197
One of the things that is confusing me is that AA’s “B” class Basic tickets do not earn Avios/TP within BAEC.
Oh wow, that's crazy - I didn't realise that.

God knows how BA think they can get away with advertising "Collect a minimum of 125 Avios every time you fly with us or any of our oneworld airline partners" on their collecting Avios pages, or keep their stance on the calculator page that only agency/industry discounted and reward fares earn nowt.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Oh wow, that's crazy - I didn't realise that.

God knows how BA think they can get away with advertising "Collect a minimum of 125 Avios every time you fly with us or any of our oneworld airline partners" on their collecting Avios pages, or keep their stance on the calculator page that only agency/industry discounted and reward fares earn nowt.
Yes, it’s something that this board really hasn’t talked about very much tbh. I was stunned to learn of it by mistake when AA first started selling their basic fares. And unlike BA, there sometimes can be a massive price differential on these tickets (well in excess of $200 on flights within the USA). So it seems for us in BAEC that we must avoid AA Basic fares, and put up with no baggage on BA-issued, albeit avois/TP eating flights.

Perhaps BAEC will have a re-think about AA B fares with this introduction. AAdvantage members do earn miles on these tickets, however they are penalised and only are awarded half of the miles of the ticket. I’d say these B class fares would fit nicely in the “lowest” BAEC earning bracket with 20TPs for a LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.