Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Having your cake and eating it (wheelchair passengers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having your cake and eating it (wheelchair passengers)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not sure why you quoted me ...
Very sorry... I can't see it either! Must have been a "misfire", as DH calls errors.
Would you like for me to edit and delete the quote? Nevermind; I probably can't edit it now (another forum allows edits "whenever", which causes other problems, of course}.
You are correct; my comment doesn't really follow from what you wrote, unless I had planned to write more and then didn't...
(I'm guessing I clicked to quote the wrong prior post, but no point in trying to rewind my mind now.)
Again... apologies!

GC
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by daloosh
I bet I would be allergic to the emotional camel, and being seated next to it would cause claustrophobia. Back on topic, my mother would have good days and bad days, and that could occur in a single day, too.
but think about how cool a disabled person would be if they had an emotional camel, just get on a ride to the exit, camels are very fast......... OP would not be able to keep up ( insert sarcasm)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
No, it delayed me and 100+ other passengers for, say, three minutes each. Let’s say a cumulative delay of six hours.

My point remains; aren’t such passengers supposed to be first on, last off? And shouldn’t this be enforced by cabin crew?
And now I'm left to ponder the cumulative reading time of nearly 4,000 views on this thread.

No, there's no rule. So, no enforcement necessary. Never ceases to amaze me all the situations by which people allow their goat to be gotten.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:20 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
The point in question should be what constitutes needing special assistance and should that confer boarding / disembarking benefits? There is no assessment before this service is agreed. This thread shouldn't be about generalising disability, as this is a wide spectrum. We weren't there so can't judge how 'disabled' the individual in question was. From the OP's description of him jumping up, it is difficult to assume he was at the more 'severely disabled' end of the spectrum.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Skimo
I don't mean to sound like i'm sticking the boot in, but I'd strongly encourage you to use the term 'wheelchair user'. Most disabled people don't like to be defined by their wheelchair. Crew can be terrible for this, often referring to a passenger as 'the wheelchair'
Yes, that irritates my Wife more than just about anything else!
It's not done with intended malice or disrespect but is something that training should put right.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
It takes all kinds to fully understand.

With me, I can usually board fine walking down a jetway. But I often have problems getting off and walking up the jetway. In neither case do I use a chair in spite of my wife's pleas, The problem getting off is worse after a flight mostly because the blood won't pump. If I'm in the front of the plane I clear the aisle as fast as possible so as not to block those behind and try to make it up the narrow jetway crammed with Wheel chairs on one side. I sometimes can't quite make it all the way to the concourse before leaning against a wall and letting those behind me pass.

And all this while trying to make what they call a legal connection
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
I am with the OP and agree with his observation. However, anyone who knows or follows this board will recognize the zero tolerance policy of its posters to any criticism of any passenger remotely disabled or with the most minor accessibility issue. Sad!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:52 pm

I normally would not post in the BA forum, but this thread was in 'trending'. The poor OP should have stuck with asking about the process and not 'observe' the additional time that this singular event cost him.

That said, I do not recall a circumstance (US domestic) where those passengers requiring wheelchair assistance did not wait until all other passengers had deplaned. I always have assumed that it was first on, last off for wheelchair passengers.

Anyhow, if an otherwise disabled passenger can get up and walk, go for it. Likely great exercise!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I did not discern any hostility towards the disabled in the OP's post. People have focused on the idea that this is a complaint about a 3-minute delay. S/he was not complaining about the delay itself, but about the principle behind the idea of allowing this particular disabled passenger to board first (because he needed extra time in boarding, theoretically), but not doing the same at the flight's conclusion. The whole reason for allowing such passengers to board early is so that they will not hold up the line, and will have space and room to be seated safely and comfortably. So why should that not apply at the end as well? Makes sense to me. But I don't see any practical way in which airlines could enforce this, So I imagine there will continue to be rare instances such as this one. As others have noted, pax wihtout disabilities frequently hold up the line as well. It's mystifying how so many people want to immediately go on the attack and accuse people of being petty, or even of bigotry, here on Flyertalk,a place where people complain bitterly about not receiving their PDB, or that their cashews weren't warm enough.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Talking of delays caused by passengers....let me just mention security channels. The shock some people seem to experience having waited in a security queue for 10 minutes that they actually have to take off coats a belt , take out lap tops etc...never ceases to amaze me.
I'm afraid I can't juggle. Everything has to stay in my bag until I get to the security trays. On the other hand, I don't wear anything that has to come off.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by lorath
....anyone who knows or follows this board will recognize the zero tolerance policy of its posters to any criticism of any passenger remotely disabled or with the most minor accessibility issue. Sad!
I think our frustration is that anybody should presume to judge the degree of remoteness of a stranger's disability and the nature of accessibility issues, based on simple observation on a single occasion.

Using extemporary, ill-informed judgements of this nature as a basis for criticism is crass.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, any semblance of a BA connection has long since disappeared, we have been in OMNI territory for a while now without any new points being brought forward, so this seems like a good time to close this down before we spiral downwards into personal abuse.

/mod
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.