Search

Using Avios for Latam in Peru

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Using Avios for Latam in Peru

Hi there,

We are travelling to Peru, and i understand that Peru has different prices for residents vs. non-residents

I learnt that i can use Avios to book via Latam Airline for my flights from Lima to Cusco, and on the BA booking site, it just says i'm booking for Economy class

Whereas on the Latam site, Economy splits into 'Base', 'Access', 'Control' and 'Flex'

For non Peruvians that bought Base or Access tickets, they would have to pay an extra surcharge at the airport...and that we are only supposed to be Control or Flex tickets

I couldnt get any info from BA or LATAM whether my redemption ticket is the base ticket or the flex ticket..

i also tried to search for business via BA just to be safe, but they dont have that available.

has anyone booked via Avios for Peru? can you shed some light

thanks a bunch!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
LATAM redemptions generally book into 'T' class (which comes with a nice added benefit....). There is no business on the LIM-CUZ hop. Don't worry booking on avios will not require an uncharge at the airport. This only happens when Non-peruvians book the cheap domestic ticket on the domestic website which are designed for Peruvian nationals. It happens in a few countries in SA.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

cool, good to know its safe to book and no nasty surprises.. its like 4.5K points and 6$ of tax on avios, vs. $200USD, so i was happy to find out about avios with LATAM, just wary that i will stuck with some crazy surcharge when i get there.

and what does T class mean....?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

I have never had any problems with LAN/LATAM flights booked with Avios. Make a note of their booking ref and download the LATAM app to your phone as well.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by butthurt
cool, good to know its safe to book and no nasty surprises.. its like 4.5K points and 6$ of tax on avios, vs. $200USD, so i was happy to find out about avios with LATAM, just wary that i will stuck with some crazy surcharge when i get there.

That's a good cash saving there butthurt and welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board.

I'm assuming T class means that is the redemption bucket code for your flight but that's a pure guess. On BA there are separate buckets which are different to revenue fares so I am basing that as a similarity.

There is a LATAM forum on here, as well as many others of course, including the BA Forum Dashboard which you may find useful. Flyertalk really is a great place for finding answers to peoples questions so I hope you find it useful.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:32 pm

LATAM has eliminated the Resident restrictions since december 2017. You can buy the cheapest option online with no issues. Check the LATAM forum and double check with LA twitter team if you have questions.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL
(Also, download the LATAM Entertainment app for iOS so you can watch streaming video on your phone or tablet in flight)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:40 pm

I think latam is the worst airlain company to travel in Peru because is very very very expensive, incroyalable could be 300USD or even more for 1 1/2 hour flight that is insane.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by butthurt

Deleted: Missed the decimal point in 4.5k, although it did seem high at the time

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:24 am
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
4,500 avios is not worth 700usd
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by armouredant
It’s worth saving 700usd though and have done it several times. So that’s about 5000usd saved.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by armouredant
Indeed. Mustn't post before first cup of tea . At ~USD70 of Avios that is of course excellent value.
armouredant likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Check the baggage inclusive allowance, I've recently booked an Avios redemption in Colombia that is Hand Baggage Only. I'm quite happy to pay for the baggage, apparently it is only about £8 per bag (taxes on the ticket £3.60!) but it's working out how!

signol
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by signol
Check the baggage inclusive allowance, I've recently booked an Avios redemption in Colombia that is Hand Baggage Only. I'm quite happy to pay for the baggage, apparently it is only about £8 per bag (taxes on the ticket £3.60!) but it's working out how!

signol
thanks for the tip bro!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.