Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FYI: BA and guitars (again)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
So, as with LATAM, BA appears to treat musicians carrying their instruments (whether a guitar, cello, violin, trumpet, trombone...) as second class citizens. Even customers with the highest status, or paying the highest possible fare.

I've chosen to vote with my wallet, and made sure that all future work travel will be done on other airlines, and I'm spending through my avios balance on leisure travel where I don't need to take the guitar, until it's all gone.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
It sounds like it would be easier to buy a fake identity for your guitar, and treat it as if it were your child. Have you thought of trying that...?
hedur likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
I understand that inflatable guitars are available, and while they may not be an equivalent tonally, acceptable sound reproduction can be obtained by making a twanging noise with one's mouth.
Birksworks likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just read this whole thread and my conclusion is
"What Kronos Quartet said."
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
The other questions were serious too, actually :-/ As I mentioned, I travelled in F from KUL-LHR and LHR-PHX around Christmas and New Year, and at LHR and AMS I was told I might need to pay for a seat for my guitar. How can that possibly be true?
if you want to book an extra seat in a higher cabin you are charged based on the available fare for that cabin.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Wondering if you can you book an extra (i.e. tax-free) seat in a different cabin on BA?
e.g. travel in J or F, but let your musical instrument slum it in Y?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Wondering if you can you book an extra (i.e. tax-free) seat in a different cabin on BA?
e.g. travel in J or F, but let your musical instrument slum it in Y?
Almost certainly not.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Even the budget carriers manage to make buying the extra-seat relatively hassle-free!

I haven't flown BA in ages because of their consistent instrument track record.

- non-BA story, but in my experience UA have been bending over backwards to let guitars get carried into the cabin since the “United breaks guitars” debacle. They once even put crew baggage into the hold so my guitar could fit in the cabin on SFO-PEK!

Last edited by gr8pirate; Mar 1, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA, AA
armouredant, anonba, jaxba, and others-- what do you think?

Is it worth booking a decent seat via the web (ie not opposite the toilet) either now for pay or for free when that opens in up a few hours, and hoping the guitar works out (since I can only book a seat for myself on the website)?

The alternative is sitting the in last row with two seats opposite the toilets.

Thanks for your thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 am

Tough to say. I'm generally against paying for seat reservations, as I'm a stingey northerner. If the cabin crew stick to the policy, they'll insist that your guitar takes a window seat, and you sit next to it in the middle seat, and I don't imagine you're about to pay to reserve yourself a middle seat. If the cabin crew don't follow policy (I'd bet money that this is the case) your guitar will fit in the overhead just fine, and you'll end up in the window seat with an empty seat next to you, albeit possibly next to the loo.

In your situation, I'd wait til seat selection is free and put yourself wherever you want to sit, then get to the airport nice and early to see what happens at the check-in desk. I'd also raise a complaint in the airport about the kafkaesque farce you (and all of us other musicians) have had to endure to get that far.
Birksworks likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
On my first flight in CW, about 3 years ago, after many years of not flying BA, I had brought a new guitar for our son. I was assured there would be no problem with it. As I walked in to the aircraft (with zero status, just a plain BAEC Blue in CW) one of the FAs turned to me and said "Sir, make yourself comfortable in your seat and then I'll find a safe place for your guitar. Don't worry, we'll take good care of it". I was mightily impressed! Oh how things have changed since then ...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA, AA
Originally Posted by armouredant
Tough to say. I'm generally against paying for seat reservations, as I'm a stingey northerner. If the cabin crew stick to the policy, they'll insist that your guitar takes a window seat, and you sit next to it in the middle seat, and I don't imagine you're about to pay to reserve yourself a middle seat. If the cabin crew don't follow policy (I'd bet money that this is the case) your guitar will fit in the overhead just fine, and you'll end up in the window seat with an empty seat next to you, albeit possibly next to the loo.

In your situation, I'd wait til seat selection is free and put yourself wherever you want to sit, then get to the airport nice and early to see what happens at the check-in desk. I'd also raise a complaint in the airport about the kafkaesque farce you (and all of us other musicians) have had to endure to get that far.
And that is what I have done: chosen an aisle seat (for free) where I would normally want to sit (not opposite the loo).

I shall try in good faith to reach BA to have them move the guitar next to me. Of course, they aren't answering calls now-- the line says sorry we are busy check the website and then hangs up.

With luck it will work out. Thanks for your thoughts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.