Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FYI: BA and guitars (again)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA, AA
Sorry to be tedious, but for those interested, a 72 hours post-booking update, I called to chase this up.

CS rep: "You want to book a car?"
CS: " Yes, your guitar will get a seat, no problem, this is already arranged". me: "really? I am waiting for BA to confirm."
CS: " You already paid for the seat." me: "no i haven't."
hold = 20 minutes
CS: "the relevant department will call you back within 24 hours. there is no need to phone us back. you can't speak to them directly."

NB: in the 72 hours since I booked and requested a seat for the guitar, the 'basic economy' fare has risen from £130 to £195.
Oh joy.

Last edited by Birksworks; Feb 26, 2018 at 5:03 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I realise it's too late now for the OP, but maybe this'll help the next person…

Where possible, always, always book the EXST for comfort or cabin baggage at the same time as the human.

If you make a booking just for humans, and then decide later to add an EXST, it's okay, it just takes longer. If you can book human+EXST together in the same PNR it's a lot easier for everyone, including BA…

Sorry you got duff info on your first call OP.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
In their heyday, the progressive rock legends Yes flew everywhere in First. Steve Howe booked an extra seat - in First - for his guitar as "Mr Gibson".
lupine and Birksworks like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
I realise it's too late now for the OP, but maybe this'll help the next person…

Where possible, always, always book the EXST for comfort or cabin baggage at the same time as the human.

If you make a booking just for humans, and then decide later to add an EXST, it's okay, it just takes longer. If you can book human+EXST together in the same PNR it's a lot easier for everyone, including BA…

Sorry you got duff info on your first call OP.
EXST and CBBG are total jargon and i only understand what you meanasthey are keywords related to booking an extra seat. Hahahaha
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'm guessing EXtra SeaT and CaBin BaGgage.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Update with a result.

Person three (of five) from Friday 24 Feb rang to say that the revenue department had determined that the current fare was £227, but that since (a) I had paid a fare of £160 and they had given me the runaround, they would charge only £80 for the guitar. He said he would email to confirm the seat for the guitar and that he said I could take said guitar on in a foam padded soft case.

This all looks hopeful. I paid the extra, but no sign of a confirm for the guitar yet, only of a charge for something unspecified.

IF this works out, and that remains to be seen, it raises the question of how to do this next time-- especially since it took four days.

I have been told four versions of how to book a person and guitar:
in chronological order

Version 1. Call, book and pay for both seats at the same time.
Version 2. 1 is wrong. Book person online and call to add guitar over the phone and pay for it then
Version 3. 1 and 2 are wrong, Book person online and call to add guitar. BA CS or the 'revenue dept' will phone back to provide a price for the guitar based on whatever the fare is when they ring back (whenever that might be)
Version 4. 1, 2, and 3, are wrong. Call to book person and guitar at same time. This generates a request for the special (un-named) team who go away and price things then ring back to provide a price for person and guitar based on the fare as of the time they get around to ringing back.

Anonba suggested two possibilities:
(1) book person online, call to add guitar -- but it was not clear to me what fare the guitar would get;
or
(2) book for both online-- this locks in the fare for both person and instrument. The questions here are (a) I had asked to do that and been told it was not possible and (b) it seems that, according the versions above, the fare for the guitar cant be locked in , but depends on the going rate when BA phone me back.

It would be great and _much appreciated_ if anonba could set me straight.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Birksworks
Update with a result.

Person three (of five) from Friday 24 Feb rang to say that the revenue department had determined that the current fare was £227, but that since (a) I had paid a fare of £160 and they had given me the runaround, they would charge only £80 for the guitar. He said he would email to confirm the seat for the guitar and that he said I could take said guitar on in a foam padded soft case.

This all looks hopeful. I paid the extra, but no sign of a confirm for the guitar yet, only of a charge for something unspecified.

IF this works out, and that remains to be seen, it raises the question of how to do this next time-- especially since it took four days.

in chronological order

Version 2. 1 is wrong. Book person online and call to add guitar over the phone and pay for it then
Version 3. 1 and 2 are wrong, Book person online and call to add guitar. BA CS or the 'revenue dept' will phone back to provide a price for the guitar based on whatever the fare is when they ring back (whenever that might be)
Version 4. 1, 2, and 3, are wrong. Call to book person and guitar at same time. This generates a request for the special (un-named) team who go away and price things then ring back to provide a price for person and guitar based on the fare as of the time they get around to ringing back.

(1) book person online, call to add guitar -- but it was not clear to me what fare the guitar would get;
or
(2) book for both online-- this locks in the fare for both person and instrument. The questions here are (a) I had asked to do that and been told it was not possible and (b) it seems that, according the versions above, the fare for the guitar cant be locked in , but depends on the going rate when BA phone me back.

ok so if you call up and speak to sales to book both seats at the same time. The booking is still sent to the fares team to quote the price for the extra seat and the request fir the extra seat needs to be confirmed. This even seating it up this way you wont be able to make the booking and pay for it on one call.

***** I DID NOT SUGGEST option 2 of booking both online!! Do not do this it is not correct.

AT NO POINT DID I SUGGEST YOU BOOK BOTH ONLINE.

Last edited by Anonba; Feb 26, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:56 pm

Update with a result.

in chronological order

or

my suggestion that you mis interpreted was version 1
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

my suggestion that you mis interpreted was version 1
Thanks!

I definitely did not think you could book both online.

As for number 1, I may not understand your comments on the fare. Can one pay for the person on the phone, but only make a request to add the instrument? Is the fare for the instrument then linked to the fare for the person or does it depend on when BA ring back? (A few of the AB CS reps I spoke to said it was the latter-- ie the fare for the instrument can depend on when they phone back.)

Thanks again!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:12 pm

Thanks!

I definitely did not think you could book both online.

As for number 1, I may not understand your comments on the fare. Can one pay for the person on the phone, but only make a request to add the instrument? Is the fare for the instrument then linked to the fare for the person or does it depend on when BA ring back? (A few of the AB CS reps I spoke to said it was the latter-- ie the fare for the instrument can depend on when they phone back.)

Thanks again!
The agent sets up the booking with the two seats. The agent at this point also adds a keyword for extra seat for baggage and as part of this adds the dimensions of the item. This is the request part that needs to come back confirmed, although it usually doesnt take long and should confirm within a couple hours. My understanding is this part is really just so that the dimensions of the item you are intending to take are checked and if ok the request is confirmed.

The thing that takes time is actually getting the price from fares yes technically this could vary but should be based on the booking class the agent holds the two seats at. . As i mentioned earlier there is a minimum pricing which i think is £40 each way shorthaul and £300 each way longhaul.

Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:40 pm

I’m guessing the price for the extra seat should be the same as the passenger seat, but without any taxes or charges (except perhaps YQ), so should be estimatable using ITA Matrix.

But, anonba, what if I am travelling in the J or F cabin? Does my guitar have to travel in a lie-flat bed? Am I paying for my guitar’s consumption of a three course meal with wine pairings? What if I pay to travel in WTP with my guitar and later choose to upgrade with Avios to J? Do I have to pay double Avios, and do I need two award seats available at the time?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
I’m guessing the price for the extra seat should be the same as the passenger seat, but without any taxes or charges (except perhaps YQ), so should be estimatable using ITA Matrix.

But, anonba, what if I am travelling in the J or F cabin? Does my guitar have to travel in a lie-flat bed? Am I paying for my guitar’s consumption of a three course meal with wine pairings? What if I pay to travel in WTP with my guitar and later choose to upgrade with Avios to J? Do I have to pay double Avios, and do I need two award seats available at the time?
As far as im aware you arent able to book an extra seat using Avios. I think that was the only serious question hidden in there hahahaha
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
As far as im aware you arent able to book an extra seat using Avios. I think that was the only serious question hidden in there hahahaha
The other questions were serious too, actually :-/ As I mentioned, I travelled in F from KUL-LHR and LHR-PHX around Christmas and New Year, and at LHR and AMS I was told I might need to pay for a seat for my guitar. How can that possibly be true?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armouredant
The other questions were serious too, actually :-/ As I mentioned, I travelled in F from KUL-LHR and LHR-PHX around Christmas and New Year, and at LHR and AMS I was told I might need to pay for a seat for my guitar. How can that possibly be true?
Indeed, it is a serious question. BA were pricing the guitar off of the Economy Plus fare, which includes a checked bag, rather than Basic Economy. Unless they were going to let me check an extra bag in the name of my guitar, they should have been using Basic Economy. (Since they were charging me half of the Econ+ fare, I maintained a prudent silence.)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Tedious update:
My booking shows an assigned seat in the only row of two seats in the plane-- the last row, opposite the toilet.

Ring BA:
"Can I change the seat?" BA: "No."
"What if I pay for a seat now over the phone" BA: "No."
"Can I do that on the website?" BA: "It will mess things up because you can only choose a seat for yourself, but the guitar must sit next to you. Since you can't choose a seat for the guitar online, choosing your own seat only will really mess things up."
"BA person X told me yesterday that I could call 48 hours before to reserve a seat. Can I do that?" BA: "No, you can only choose seats at the airport And do not try to check-in online because it won't work. You can only check-in at the airport. "

Maybe relying on hiding the guitar until the gate and being nice to the gate agent is a much better strategy than trying to follow BA policy, which seems designed to be as time-consuming and frustrating as possible.
710 77345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.