Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE restricted to 7 rows

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If the EU downgrade compensation applied to the entire trip rather than just the individual flight I'd love for any short-haul connection to be downgraded.
There would be no more reason for someone to be downgraded than on any other flight with a fixed sized cabin
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
IF they remove the middle table the value of a Business class product surely diminishes even further than it had, to the point where I start to question why it is called Business class (in BA’s terms CE), is there not a point when it isn’t business class anymore and is misleading advertising? I’m no expert in product advertisement or product naming but it must be bordering on a grey area?! I strictly mean onboard product.

I would like to say, I look forward to seeing how this all unravels but I fear it’s another turn for the worse. Prove me wrong. Especially if there is an impact on POUGs and CE fares. This cabin really helped me retain Silver.
Which other airlines have a table in the middle? KL and AY haven‘t any, LH and LX don‘t either, I think.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by florens

Which other airlines have a table in the middle? KL and AY haven‘t any, LH and LX don‘t either, I think.
But why does BA have to reduce its offering to match KLM? It's these small softer differentiators that make CE competitive. As things stand, certainly on longer flights, I'd rather pay for CE over LH. You can cut a product back so much that nobody buys it and then you eradicate it altogether.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

But why does BA have to reduce its offering to match KLM? It's these small softer differentiators that make CE competitive. As things stand, certainly on longer flights, I'd rather pay for CE over LH. You can cut a product back so much that nobody buys it and then you eradicate it altogether.
Much like LGW-MAN-LGW!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Perhaps they're trying to make things seem more exclusive rather than potentially having half the plane, who could be on POUGs rather than full fare tickets, full of CE passengers?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:14 am

I wonder if the lack of density with the free middle seat is hurting yields?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I wonder if the lack of density with the free middle seat is hurting yields?
Can’t imagine if BA were to remove it it would do wonders for connecting long haul yields which are clearly already under a lot of pressure for BA given some of the recent BA F/J deals from the Continent!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Originally Posted by florens

I agree here with IAMORGAN. My point was why remove it, it’s currently a decent part of the hard product that provides a surface for all sorts of things that create a better experience.

I also believe this (CE) just becomes Economy plus or Main Cabin Extra (but without the legroom, 29 vs 30 is not a big differentiatior). If there’s no middle table, what’s the main onboard difference? Just complimentary food & drink and maybe more attentive service? Its almost not worth being called a different product or setting at a much higher price difference...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by xenole
Perhaps they're trying to make things seem more exclusive rather than potentially having half the plane, who could be on POUGs rather than full fare tickets, full of CE passengers?
Oh come on! More exclusive - but only on longer flights?

More exclusive but with rubbish from ET coming through?

More exclusive with middle table removed?

I don't think so. I bet it's as simple as they 'just did it' following AC's mandate to get things done, but because the people responsible are MBAs who don't know anything about delivery / BA's onboard product, they didn't fully think through loading issues OR they reckon they can make those 7 rows work harder - ie 'why are we bothering selling CE to x for £299 when we could fill 7 rows for £900? AND sell x ET seats for £300 following the collapse of Monarch'?

The two positive things they HAVE done with CE are i) free same day changes; and ii) long catering band is overall better quality and quantity (except at breakfast).

That came at the cost of downgraded former Band 3 (MAD for instance) and Band 2 routes. I agree for Band 1 the difference is marginal.

Last edited by IAMORGAN; Feb 22, 2018 at 5:48 am
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Surely the 7 row limit means price adjusts for the limited supply. Some astronomical fares perhaps on Friday evening back from ATH post-767, post-densified A320s...

These longer sectors were catered from outstations as recent as 2 years ago (I recall a very good Y meal from IST in June 2015, and a not-so-good Y meal from OTP in April 2016). The yield from Club ought to make up for the difference. Alas, it may be extra cost and complexity. But the higher margin in return?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by DFB_london
It’s like they re run by people who have never take a flight. Lose the middle table and mess up what’s left of the catering then with crossrail from next year they re toast. The product is such a mess and so confused and so stuck in permanent relaunches easyJet just have to sit back and watch the punters roll in.
I don't understand the reference to Crossrail. How would the launch of Crossrail have a negative impact on BA?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by layz
I don't understand the reference to Crossrail. How would the launch of Crossrail have a negative impact on BA?
Easier for people in west London to hop on Crossrail to Farringdon and get a direct train to LGW or LTN, and probably also speeds up the journey to LCY and STN somehow...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deltus
Easier for people in west London to hop on Crossrail to Farringdon and get a direct train to LGW or LTN, and probably also speeds up the journey to LCY and STN somehow...
You can do that with a change in Clapham Junction for LGW and a change along Clapham Junction to Shepherds Bush for LTN at this moment. Crossrail only helps people from Reading and Heathrow compare with the option now.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Surely the 7 row limit means price adjusts for the limited supply. Some astronomical fares perhaps on Friday evening back from ATH post-767, post-densified A320s...

These longer sectors were catered from outstations as recent as 2 years ago (I recall a very good Y meal from IST in June 2015, and a not-so-good Y meal from OTP in April 2016). The yield from Club ought to make up for the difference. Alas, it may be extra cost and complexity. But the higher margin in return?
That will be what makes or breaks this. Less supply all things being equal results in higher prices.
But that only works if the rise in price is more than the cut in supply (i.e. that demand is relatively inelastic). I don't have the numbers so I can only guess.
The old system where the curtain goes back meant that you have supply in both cabins and can sell at a premium where you can. Fixing the maximum size of the cabin means that sometimes (reasonably often in my experience) you BA will sell a cheapest Y ticket instead of a expensive J ticket.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Deltus
See I was looking at it another way. I think Crossrail will benefit BA and other airlines that operate out of LHR. I wouldn't associate it with making other airports more attractive.

The unconnected to Crossrail Thameslink Programme will make LGW (and LTN for those coming from the south) more attractive once services resume through London Bridge in May

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.