Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE restricted to 7 rows

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I presume so. Isn't the middle/central set of lavs in WT on the 787 the same, where you can remove the centre dividing partition?

(With apologies to all FTers at the mere suggestion they would tolerate Y on a BA787, in fairness, W has to use those ones too)
Yes, it is - at least there is signage indicating that's what they do, although I don't know how it works in practice.

(I flew to YYZ in a Y bulkhead on a B789 last year and it was fine for a short daytime flight - the FT angst about seat width is somewhat over the top...)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chongcao
If BA is able to manipulate fare bucket to get the maximum revenue, and to reduce supply to stimulate demand, what is the point to add more seats and remove the perfectly OK toilet and galley space?
I must admit I struggle on this a bit. BA are pretty good at filling their aircraft and getting good returns on capital deployed. Nevertheless their passenger load factor remains 77% (compared to 70% for Aer Lingus, 79% for Vueling and 83% for Iberia, though we can't strip out the longhaul components on these numbers) so the extra 6 seats on (say) a 144 ET cabin wouldn't seem to be helpful. Indeed if it was, it may be more those LGW peak holiday services. However the big potential gain would be if there was a standardised float fleet shared between 4 airlines which could be flipped overnight between different carriers.
Worcester likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The extra six seats should mean lower fares but the holy grail of pricing is to price discriminate based on the willingness of consumers to pay higher prices. The airline industry is very adept at this, but the theory goes that the marginal increase in capacity will only bring in those willing to pay the least amount (those willing to buy at higher prices would buy their tickets anyway).

So the result is, BA will turn away (in the few cases where there are more than 28 CE pax) high paying premium passengers, in return for making space for those buying the cheapest tickets.

I am sure I have missed something somewhere along the line, but for the life of me I can not figure out what.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:47 am

This is all about reducing cost - simple as that. One A32x configuration across all of IAG.

All of these issues that have been highlighted I'm assuming are for each of the OpCos to just deal with. There's a clear direction for a standardised platform, whether it be the aircraft themselves, the Avios group, or GBS.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Presumably the exit rows (11/12?) are in a fixed position relative to the escape hatches, and they probably couldn't fit an extra row into the first 10 rows just by shaving an inch or two off each row. Whereas between 13 and 26(?) they had a bit more space to play with, so squeezing the pitch could give space for extra seats.
I think that's absolutely right. Pretty much the only factor that can constrain airlines' endless desire to increase revenue by further "densifying" (awful, awful made-up word) the cabin is the exit row placement and associated regulatory requirements.

p.s. my take on the likelihood that this restriction in the number of CE rows will be accompanied by an increase in the leg room in these rows = zero.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
I think that's absolutely right. Pretty much the only factor that can constrain airlines' endless desire to increase revenue by further "densifying" (awful, awful made-up word) the cabin is the exit row placement and associated regulatory requirements.
Although I've always wondered why an Easyjet A319 has 2 overwing exits, whereas a BA A319 only has one. If the second exit isn't a safety requirement, why does U2 waste the space?

My only explanation is that U2 wants to always sell 3 "extra legroom" rows per flight, regardless of aircraft type, so voluntarily added an extra overwing exit on an A319 to facilitate that. I'd be interested to know if I'm right though, or whether a second exit becomes a requirement due to the number of seats squeezed into a U2 A319. Which then leads to a question - if BA densifies its A319 fleet, will they need to add an extra exit row?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:44 am

I think this is excellent. Effectively guarantees that the emergency exit row (on the Airbus fleet) will always be ET. Better legroom (row 1 excepted, but I'd argue 1A/F have less leg stretch room to extend fully) and cheaper. With the increased density on the whole aircraft, the likelihood that TS for Golds works more frequently increases, therefore higher chance of a better than CE proposition ^ Fantastic stuff.

(Of course, I'm ignoring the panini, but I'll survive without that)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
The longer-term strategic move has been the harmonised IAG fleet, but everything else, including this, seems to be heavily tactical and short-term.

At the end of the day, we're left with tactical decisions to try to squeeze the proverbial quart (757/767 sized-load) in to a pint-pot (A32x).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
Although I've always wondered why an Easyjet A319 has 2 overwing exits, whereas a BA A319 only has one. If the second exit isn't a safety requirement, why does U2 waste the space?

My only explanation is that U2 wants to always sell 3 "extra legroom" rows per flight, regardless of aircraft type, so voluntarily added an extra overwing exit on an A319 to facilitate that. I'd be interested to know if I'm right though, or whether a second exit becomes a requirement due to the number of seats squeezed into a U2 A319. Which then leads to a question - if BA densifies its A319 fleet, will they need to add an extra exit row?
To accommodate the 156 seats they had to have 4 emergency exits over the wings. I’m pretty sure these aircraft were configured back in the days when the seating was a free for all including the exit rows!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A319
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Next month there’s the annual club class airlift to NCE for MIPIM with many extra flights, will these flights be affected with this 7 rows only of CE?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by richardwft
Next month there’s the annual club class airlift to NCE for MIPIM with many extra flights, will these flights be affected with this 7 rows only of CE?
It would seem very unlikely. As I understand, this limit applies only to the Neo variants that are being delivered, or the older ones once they have been reconfigured. From what I gather, the first Neo is due in March, and the first conversion has only recently started.

In other words, the great majority of the SH fleet will currently not have this limit. Unless I've fundamentally misunderstood something
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Many flights show 7+ rows in Club on Expertflyer.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We’ve had anything from 3 to 8, and that’s with our minimalist JER and MLA experiences.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:20 am

Wow, the cheapest LCY-NCE return for 13th-16th March appears to be £1,270 according to Google Flights, and that's with one leg in ET! You could do LHR-MEL on the same dates for about half that...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC
When was CE introduced? Has it always been around?

In which case are 7 rows the optimum number for CE cabin? If they’ve looked back at data and worked it out , I understand there are a few discrepancies with GVA being one with higher CE loads, but a business class cabin should be set at a size, would it not mean better catering loads or more consistent catering loads. If you know that you’re catering to 28pax or less then that’s that. There’s no ‘oh moment...we need more catering because we’ve moved the curtain back and sold a few more rows of CE?!’

The optimist in me hopes there might be better J class seats if the cabin is set at 7 rows in the future, what with a new J class long haul next year. Besides Alex says BA will always be a premium airline! I like to dream.

That’s my tupence worth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.