Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BoB consequences: opening wine on-board SH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:06 am
PZE
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver

I've probably left this a bit too late to think about... but am sitting in T3 waiting to board a SH flight, picnic from Yo Sushi safely purchased, and considering whether to buy a bottle of wine to take on board. Would the collective wisdom of the BA board expect that the crew will uncork a bottle for me if I ask nicely, or am I risking spending three hours staring at a nice sealed bottle/trying to open it with my car key?

Obviously the alternative is to buy sparkling, but I can see some downsides to opening that too.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by PZE
I've probably left this a bit too late to think about... but am sitting in T3 waiting to board a SH flight, picnic from Yo Sushi safely purchased, and considering whether to buy a bottle of wine to take on board. Would the collective wisdom of the BA board expect that the crew will uncork a bottle for me if I ask nicely, or am I risking spending three hours staring at a nice sealed bottle/trying to open it with my car key?

Obviously the alternative is to buy sparkling, but I can see some downsides to opening that too.
buy a screwtop and problem is solved
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:14 am
PZE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer200
buy a screwtop and problem is solved
Well, yeah... but the right wine is never a screw top when you need it to be.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by PZE
Well, yeah... but the right wine is never a screw top when you need it to be.
Well, it is your choice to buy a corked bottle of wine in duty free. There was plenty of nice screw top ones the other week and I had a nice pinot noir for £12.99 the other week there.

No need to get the crew involved. Stick the top back on if you don't want to have it all on the plane. Seems self defeating to do anything else.
LTN Phobia and TheOldMan like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PZE
I can't see a problem asking the crew. I asked for a glass for the mini-Cava I'd liberated from Iberia's lounge: no problem at all. Not a single eyebrow batted over the cart. Even received a glass rather than a plastic.

A full bottle with a cork seems rather awkward though. Ambitious, too on short-haul.
ba_cityflyer, PZE, ne52 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:10 am
PZE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I can't see a problem asking the crew. I asked for a glass for the mini-Cava I'd liberated from Iberia's lounge: no problem at all. Not a single eyebrow batted over the cart. Even received a glass rather than a plastic.

A full bottle with a cork seems rather awkward though. Ambitious, too on short-haul.
I’ll report back on my progress with this particular first world problem, having just boarded.

A full bottle seems a fairly mild ambition for a 3 hour flight... but in any case Mrs PZE will be helping out diligently (miniPZE is likely to try and assist too if given the opportunity)
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I was on a flight back from KIX to HKG on CX last Nov (so F&B was provided) when I was joined by two young travellers with six tall cans of whiskey highball between them. I thought it was ambitious for the flight length.

The FA spotted their stash said she'd rather they don't drink their own alcohol while on board a CX flight, but she will pour them whisky sodas in the drinks run and during dinner instead. I assume this is a responsible drinking thing.

BA doesn't care about this? Different licensing laws between UK and HK?

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 11, 2018 at 8:02 am
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Do they have corkscrews in a short haul galley?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I assume this is a responsible drinking thing.
IME, BA and 'responsible drinking' belong nowhere near each other unless some sort of negating phrase is used in between.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
to the best of my knowledge, completely acceptable to ask a crew member if they would not mind serving you. Anything - doesn't matter where from. Even mini bottles under 100ml which came through security are a-ok. The key is that you not consume them or serve yourself. I believe it breaks a whole bunch of aviation laws. Have brought wine, champagne, etc and asked to be served and have yet to be told off. Occasionally a "let me check with purser", but that's it.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
The key is that you not consume them or serve yourself. I believe it breaks a whole bunch of aviation laws.
Not right at all - you are welcome to serve and consume the alcohol yourself on BA.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
See this thread, perfectly fine to take and have your own drinks as long as you are sensible:

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

EDIT: 710 77345 beat me too it
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
See this thread, perfectly fine to take and have your own drinks as long as you are sensible:

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

EDIT: 710 77345 beat me too it
Sensible being the word. I had a young guy drink half a bottle of Absynthe green on a PRG-STN flight. Ambulance crews just managed to get him in the the doors of Harlow hospital before he died. Such a waste of a young life
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Not right at all - you are welcome to serve and consume the alcohol yourself on BA.
There's always one who pops up in these threads thinking its against the law, isn't there?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Smid
There's always one who pops up in these threads thinking its against the law, isn't there?
I suspect that's because many airlines tell you it is illegal. In my younger days of charter flights, and more recently on LoCos in Europe, you are often told that the consumption of your own alcohol whilst on board is illegal unless purchased from the crew - which it is not illegal (on UK registered aircraft at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.