FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Some people have no manners (pt 3.) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1893039-some-people-have-no-manners-pt-3-a.html)

RolfD Feb 9, 2018 8:57 am

We should go back to 50s and introduce an etiquette course before boarding a plane! why people are always complaining about every behavior the people have on the plane.

what a waste of time and energy, if you travel is for leisure purposes do something productive e.g. read a book. Not sure how many people that travel for business have time to waste on this trivial pursuit.

Mountlodge Feb 9, 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 29397452)
Might it not be an idea to suggest to BA when you complete surveys or through other feedback methods that they put a notice in the bulkhead requesting that it is not used like that? It probably has not registered at Waterside this is an issue for people.

In

I always assumed no one ever looked at these surveys!!
ML

Mountlodge Feb 9, 2018 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 29398065)
I think this just highlights the need to wipe down all surfaces you come into contact with on an aircraft...

That's why BA give you a hot towel. Why else?
ML

Ancient Observer Feb 9, 2018 9:48 am

During the First Gulf War, there were lots of empty J seats in Club. These were the old pre-flatbed seats. Sometimes I had 4 seats to myself. As usual, I took off my shoes and socks and put on BA's free socks.
Then, my feet were free to go wherever I could get them. Between the two seats in front was sometimes comfy.
Upstairs on SQ, window seat, feet up on the luggage bins of the seat in front, was normally the most comfy.
Note - my feet were not smelly.

JBauer Feb 9, 2018 9:58 am

Feet

im feet on bulkhead every time. That’s why I choose bulkhead. Not bare feet.

Delta Hog Feb 9, 2018 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 29397763)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Tafflyer Feb 9, 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Delta Hog (Post 29398446)
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

What did the wall ever do to him to deserve that treatment?

Worcester Feb 9, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer (Post 29398501)
What did the wall ever do to him to deserve that treatment?

Walls are divisive.

When I Travel The World Feb 9, 2018 12:13 pm

I think the issue here is that people treat the airplane/lounge likes its their own living room and give no regard to others.

They all seem to forget this is all public shared transportation.
Find to do what you want in your own home, but not around others.

I think my worst was hearing the sounds of a nail clipper in action on a long flight once, I did not get up to take a look.

rockflyertalk Feb 9, 2018 12:26 pm

@Petrus Were part 1 & part 2 just as lacklustre in the manners department? I don’t recall them!

BA Humbug Feb 9, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 29398919)
@Petrus Were part 1 & part 2 just as lacklustre in the manners department? I don’t recall them!

Part 1 is of legendary printingandbreakfast fame: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...o-manners.html
Part 2 is a ridiculous Scottish cow being...well, a cow: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-part-2-a.html

13901 Feb 9, 2018 1:00 pm

I worked for about six months as a contract manager, looking after the cleaning contract (back in the day it was ASIG, before OCS and the current provider). Part of my job involved inspecting aircrafts, before and after cleaning. It was only six months before I moved on, but boy wasn't it an eye opener.

I've seen blankets used as cleaning towels for toddlers, emergency exit areas soaked in urine, hand basins used as latrines (very popular on Indian routes), petty vandalism (people perforating the IFE touchscreens with ballpoint pens, punching holes through window blinds, graffiti on the First class seat shells), chewing gums sticked into the seats, especially on the leather armrests of the new First, duvets flushed down the toilet, barf bag emptied into the seat pockets, nappies stuffed in the toilets or under seats... My absolute worse was a string of cases when an insulin syringe had been left, without the cap, in a seat pocket, pointing up. It happened 3 times within months, always in Traveller Plus, always on the same route. We tried to identify the scumbag that was doing it, because it was clear that it was being done on purpose, but unfortunately we didn't catch him, or her. Two poor cleaning ladies had to be taken to hospital to be checked for HIV and other problems.

It really was an eye opener on how disgusting people can be.

HKGEDI Feb 9, 2018 1:35 pm

Very comfy indeedhttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dee1765c80.jpg

Fontana Feb 9, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by 13900 (Post 29399030)
I worked for about six months as a contract manager, looking after the cleaning contract (back in the day it was ASIG, before OCS and the current provider). Part of my job involved inspecting aircrafts, before and after cleaning. It was only six months before I moved on, but boy wasn't it an eye opener.

I've seen blankets used as cleaning towels for toddlers, emergency exit areas soaked in urine, hand basins used as latrines (very popular on Indian routes), petty vandalism (people perforating the IFE touchscreens with ballpoint pens, punching holes through window blinds, graffiti on the First class seat shells), chewing gums sticked into the seats, especially on the leather armrests of the new First, duvets flushed down the toilet, barf bag emptied into the seat pockets, nappies stuffed in the toilets or under seats... My absolute worse was a string of cases when an insulin syringe had been left, without the cap, in a seat pocket, pointing up. It happened 3 times within months, always in Traveller Plus, always on the same route. We tried to identify the scumbag that was doing it, because it was clear that it was being done on purpose, but unfortunately we didn't catch him, or her. Two poor cleaning ladies had to be taken to hospital to be checked for HIV and other problems.

It really was an eye opener on how disgusting people can be.

What a shocker! Didn't realise how disgusting people are! The syringe person needs to be hung, drawn and quartered!

HKGEDI Feb 9, 2018 3:24 pm

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9476ef6d86.jpg

And left a bra on the seat too 😂

Originally Posted by Fontana (Post 29399343)
What a shocker! Didn't realise how disgusting people are! The syringe person needs to be hung, drawn and quartered!

​​​​​​​

gliderpilot Feb 9, 2018 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cheny (Post 29397833)
You ought to check out "Passengershaming" on instagram. It's a FA who posts pictures of passengers who have no manners, at their best behaviour. Some are amusing whilst also shocking.
If you don't have instagram just google it, you will still be able to view the images.

Oh dear god, some of those are disgusting, particularly the 2017 shaming video. The foot coming out from the the seat behind is just plain creepy!

Joshm300 Feb 10, 2018 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter (Post 29398210)

This is shocking...

LCY8737 Feb 10, 2018 12:48 am

But exposure to a little dirt is going to train your immune system. It is good for you. :D

nallison Feb 10, 2018 1:03 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 29397958)
I think that in 17 years of FT, this is the most revolting thread which I can remember - people are so stupid. There are cameras everywhere. I don't allow Him Indoors to wear trainers until he can promise me that they will never smell. He defied me once. I came home from a trip, opened the wardrobe and his footwear smacked me in the nose. He was still asleep. I threw them in Her Nextdoors recycle bin which was awaiting collection, making a mental note to buy her another bottle of Cognac in case the Council kicked off at her.

He never found out what became of them and he never asked because they didn't exist.

Never mind the smell, think of people going barefoot or even socked foot into the lavs. Not everyone aims to please. Enough said.

From what I've seen, you loooooove judging others, and making something of a thing of yourself on here, but then you threw some shoes in someone else's bin? And that is better than someone just taking their shoes off?

CarolynUK Feb 10, 2018 2:16 am

Originally Posted by nallison (Post 29400687)
From what I've seen, you loooooove judging others, and making something of a thing of yourself on here, but then you threw some shoes in someone else's bin? And that is better than someone just taking their shoes off?

oy!

leave our PUCCI alone! She is the Queen of the BA board!

ShuttleRunner Feb 10, 2018 2:41 am

The material (Tedlar) covering the two sections of bulkhead alone costs in the region of £30k per wall... but of course some oafscant see past the end of their nose.

missdimeaner Feb 10, 2018 2:42 am

Originally Posted by HKGEDI (Post 29399570)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9476ef6d86.jpg

And left a bra on the seat too 😂

Probably the only item of clothing I can remove without showing anything - easy to take off without anyone noticing, I couldn’t imagine doing that on a plane though :o

Great_circle Feb 10, 2018 2:43 am

Originally Posted by 13900 (Post 29399030)
barf bag emptied into the seat pockets

Why oh why, if all has already been put in a bag? (‘Why’ on all the other examples too by the way)

Worcester Feb 10, 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner (Post 29400811)
The material (Tedlar) covering the two sections of bulkhead alone costs in the region of £30k per wall... but of course some oafscant see past the end of their nose.

Sod the JWB that’s what I am going after next flight...

dcmike Feb 10, 2018 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300 (Post 29400649)

This is shocking...

I've seen bare feet on the tables as well in GF. It's disgusting. I am not really bothered by feet inside shoes and socks on the bulkhead, but feet (in shoes, socks, or bare) on tables (tray, coffee, or otherwise) is just horrifying.

HarryKUK Feb 10, 2018 4:35 am

What is the etiquette re: feet on flatbeds? Bare? With own socks? With BA socks? With shoes?

adrianlondon Feb 10, 2018 4:57 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK (Post 29400976)
What is the etiquette re: feet on flatbeds? Bare? With own socks? With BA socks? With shoes?

My personal etiquette is socks, however my socks never touch the floor as I put my slip-ons/sandals on each time I stand or sit up. However, when in long-haul economy I have no problem with taking my shoes off and putting my socked feet on the bulkhead, so take my opinion as you see fit.

HarryKUK Feb 10, 2018 5:08 am

I’m not as bothered by it as some people on here, but my general opinion is socked is fine. Certainly preferred over shoes or bare. Always shoes in the toilet. I tend to wear my laceless Converse slip ons when I’m flying so it’s easy enough to take on / off. Not a fan of feet on the bulkhead (socked or otherwise) but not bothered enough to tell someone to stop doing it. Feet on tray tables (socked or otherwise) is unnecessary but I’ve never encountered it personally.

Mcflyneo Feb 10, 2018 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Pack (Post 29397718)
Jeepers! Could he not raise the arm rests if he had the whole row, failing that sleep sitting up.

I hope the corner of the tray caught him inbetween the legs.

Darn shame we didn't occur a rejected take-off at max speed, indeed... The airline doesn't give a rats butt as, directly after taking the picture i vented it to them and they had no comment.

TPRun Feb 10, 2018 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Mcflyneo (Post 29401096)
Darn shame we didn't occur a rejected take-off at max speed, indeed... The airline doesn't give a rats butt as, directly after taking the picture i vented it to them and they had no comment.

what exactly did they say? And was there any inkling that they were like “what does it matter to you?”? I’m intrigued as to how some crew would act in that situation

bisonrav Feb 10, 2018 6:52 am

Delightful view on the flounge terrace right now.

(Should be pic of bloke in bare feet up on the sofa, chatting loudly on mobile phone. Didn't upload right)

bisonrav Feb 10, 2018 7:01 am

Deleted to spare the innocent

He's snoring now :(

dylanks Feb 10, 2018 7:11 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 29397458)
Thank you Petrus - this is my pet peeve as well. When I was flying, I used to make myself popular by asking people to take their feet off the fittings and furniture. Nowadays no one seems to bother. One can only surmise what slobs like that do at home. I have seen people without the benefit of shoes or socks take themselves off and use the toilet. I do not care whether people have shoes or socks - I do not want to see them. As for the bare feet, that is simply disgusting. It is not a beach, it is the shared cabin of an aeroplane.

I deal with spread-everywheres, but putting my stuff on top of theirs when I need to. If they wished to take issue, they would have come to the right shop. This is how society is today, you can pay to sit in a Class when you have none yourself.

When I'm flying in F or CW, the cabin is often uncomfortably warm and one of the few options (after asking to have the temperature cooled) is to change into shorts and remove my socks. I of course would never visit the toilet without either BA's socks or my socks and shoes. Do cabin crew and others really find this offensive (my feet generally don't have an odor). If so, I would suggest that cabin temperatures be kept exceptionally cool so that no one is tempted to remove their socks.

The solution for not having people put their shoes on the bulkheads is pretty obvious... add more legroom. ;) In general I find my shoes touch the magazine holder (e.g. the very bottom of the bulkhead) and I'm below average in height.

orbitmic Feb 10, 2018 7:18 am

Hmm... people are of course entitled to post anything they wish (within the known limits which are fully respected here) on FT, but for what it's worth, I find that whole array of 'shaming' photos rather morbid. Do they depict behaviours which I would rather not see? Absolutely. To be honest, however, I don't see what they add to the discussion. I think all of us have enough experience of flying and enough imagination to know exactly what is referred to if anyone wants to discuss whether people should refrain from putting their shoes on the bulkhead, picking their bare toes in the lounge or leaving bras on seats, all of which are perfectly interesting questions, in my personal view without a need for visual illustration or shaming the culprits.

StuckinITH Feb 10, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 29398065)
I think this just highlights the need to wipe down all surfaces you come into contact with on an aircraft...

I do this as soon as I get to my seat on all my flights. At that time I also open the tray table to clean it. If I'm in Business, I also use the hot towel provided to give everything an extra cleaning.

Jagboi Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Joshm300 (Post 29400649)

This is shocking...

Putting feet on a footstool is shocking?

PUCCI GALORE Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 29401275)
Hmm... people are of course entitled to post anything they wish (within the known limits which are fully respected here) on FT, but for what it's worth, I find that whole array of 'shaming' photos rather morbid. Do they depict behaviours which I would rather not see? Absolutely. To be honest, however, I don't see what they add to the discussion. I think all of us have enough experience of flying and enough imagination to know exactly what is referred to if anyone wants to discuss whether people should refrain from putting their shoes on the bulkhead, picking their bare toes in the lounge or leaving bras on seats, all of which are perfectly interesting questions, in my personal view without a need for visual illustration or shaming the culprits.

That is a very interesting point of view. Maybe it is time to ban all pictures here - be it of people who clearly are uncouth if not without manners or tedious interminable Trip Reports. I am being quite serious as I do think that you do have a point. On balance, I have to say that I think that a lot of people would have been hard put to believe some of the ill-bred behaviour had there not been pictures. I notice that faces were not visible so no one was shamed. Frankly one might doubt that they would feel any sense of shame as to them it is perfectly acceptable, and indeed they may be surprised that others are not. I often recall that man in F some years ago, who thought that it was perfectly acceptable to start cutting his toe nails. One piece flew through the air and landed in someone's drink. He could not have done that had he tried, but the exchange that took place and that involved me as I was serving the drink. Nowadays someone would have been filming that on their phone and I am afraid that I would have thought that it would have served him right had it come on here for all to see.

I think that you've touched on a very interesting and moot point. I felt that when I saw the photographs of a senior member of BA Cabin Crew who I know in some rather derogatory "trip report" the other day here on FT. I am certain that he did not give his permission for this to be published on the internet - his face was there for all to see and he happened to be doing his job. Where does one draw the line? I say that secure in the knowledge that I will not post any such thing because I am not sure how to post pictures here and secondly I'm not sure that I want to. I'm to busy enjoying my life to want to be bothered.

PUCCI GALORE Feb 10, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 29401838)
Putting feet on a footstool is shocking?

Correct me if I am wrong, but were those not in that rather pleasant BMI Lounge in T1? I was not shocked but am rather disgusted at someone taking their shoes and socks off in a Lounge. Did they go and get stuff from the bar/buffet in bare feet.

I always have a problem with people trotting around bare footed away from the beach. It would be so easy to get a nasty cut if there was any glass or anything sharp that the cleaners had missed.

PUCCI GALORE Feb 10, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 29401254)
. Do cabin crew and others really find this offensive (my feet generally don't have an odor). If so, I would suggest that cabin temperatures be kept exceptionally cool so that no one is tempted to remove their socks.

The solution for not having people put their shoes on the bulkheads is pretty obvious... add more legroom. ;) In general I find my shoes touch the magazine holder (e.g. the very bottom of the bulkhead) and I'm below average in height.

I speak for no one but me what people do at their seats is their business, it is the sight of people sticking their feet bare, socked, or shod on the bulkhead that I find ojectionable - and so would it seem does Petrus. Maybe this thread is more Omni than BA?

MrTemporal Feb 10, 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by deboyzoned (Post 29397375)
Sorry, but why are feet on the bulhead bad manners?

Shoes on the bulkhead.

Another example of Defining Deviancy Down.

Next it will be OK for me to spit on your seat, after all, I don't have a cold. It's just saliva, probably cleaner than your bottom.