Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Think I may Have Had It With BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by subject2load

I really don’t know whether your speculative percentage here is right or wrong. But I guess it can’t be too far off the mark, so let’s go with it. That said, I do feel that your reference to some sort of ‘Flyertalk phenomenon’ is something of a distraction, when essentially it’s all about good customer service - a matter that has, rightly, occupied the attention and interest of consumers long before the days of FT.

The very fact that maybe only 5% of those travelling will do so in First Class cabins is what places such a serious obligation on the supplier : anyone sitting in that section of an aircraft (especially those doing so with their own money) has every right to expect high standards of service - and a professional response to grievances when things go wrong. Ideally, without the need to resort to legal channels.
Let me make this clear - since I first came to Flyertalk many years ago - everything always took place in First. No one ever seemed to travel in anything else or CE if it was about Europe. I flew for many years and mostly in the days when access to superior cabins was by paying for it, or being operationally upgraded. I know loads of people who travel, and non one that I know pays for F our of their own pocket. How many do on FT is something that I have often wondered. Avios have made access easier but they are still a form of payment.

FT, as I say, is now more J than before but a lot of people seem to be in F hither and yon. FT is totally unrepresentative of the general traveling population most of whom have never heard of Flyertalk either. That's what I mean by phenomenon. Of course you are correct, but until people do move elsewhere, nothing is going to happen. As most flights that I seem to be on seem packed, clearly either the weight of inertia has set in with some people, or they have no choice over the buying decision. Indeed, who knows? They may be perfectly happy. We all have different criteria. Me? Point to point please.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I am less than impressed with BA right now: My assessment right now is that the in flight staff do a consistent and good job, but the equipment and ground staff are in a sorry state compared to the alternatives.

I will likely do what the rest of you seem to be doing: giving up on brand loyalty and flying BA where it's a better+cheaper option, but certainly not preferring it anymore, and spending down my avios instead of accumulating them.

For what it's worth: The trip where I had a broken seat in F was either just before I learned about Flyertalk, or just after.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
The very fact that maybe only 5% of those travelling will do so in First Class cabins is what places such a serious obligation on the supplier : anyone sitting in that section of an aircraft (especially those doing so with their own money) has every right to expect high standards of service - and a professional response to grievances when things go wrong. Ideally, without the need to resort to legal channels.
This was basically my circumstance as far as discontinuing my loyalty to BA; I was one of those (apparently rare and perhaps nonexistent) pax who has only flown BA TATL in F - I have never even flown in CW, with perhaps the exception of one segment in "CW-service-in-OF-seating" back in the day. But I found the handling of the IT meltdown last May so appalling (quick summary: BA obfuscated at every chance until I threatened legal action) that I decided BA didn't deserve any more of my money. BA represents the best way for me to get to London in terms of route and timings, but the reality is that I have alternatives even if they take more time/effort (but ironically in my case not money, since VS J is way cheaper than BA F.)

Let's also not forget that there is always the ultimate alternative: not to fly at all. Airlines with monopolies and fortress hubs may feel invincible while cutting/chopping and slashing at the flying experience, but there are very few of us - even in business - who can't simply fly less or even not at all.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Why are we even having a debate over Bombay v Gordon’s? Neither cut the mustard in my book. And as for the tonic, thank god BA at least serve Fever Tree 😉
PUCCI GALORE, Jase76, Stez and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

I really don’t know whether your speculative percentage here is right or wrong. But I guess it can’t be too far off the mark, so let’s go with it. That said, I do feel that your reference to some sort of ‘Flyertalk phenomenon’ is something of a distraction, when essentially it’s all about good customer service - a matter that has, rightly, occupied the attention and interest of consumers long before the days of FT.

It’s perhaps a naïve thought, I know .... but I often find myself wondering just what sort of airline BA could become, if their approach to cases such as this (and indeed many others), were shaped by better principles.

I’m thinking of principles where the start point is how can we resolve a legitimate claim/grievance promptly and pro-actively, and thus meet our obligations, to the customer’s satisfaction ; as distinct from let’s obfuscate and prevaricate as much as possible, in the hope that he/she may give up in frustration and/or despair, and simply goes away.

The current policy may be effective in keeping a little more money in the BA coffers ; a more ethical corporate mindset would, I firmly believe, yield far greater rewards over the longer term.

Very well put!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Why are we even having a debate over Bombay v Gordon’s? Neither cut the mustard in my book. And as for the tonic, thank god BA at least serve Fever Tree 😉
Four Pillars is very agreeable with me, as @62aClubWorld would confirm after our brief yet fulfilling visit to QF LHR lounge.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
However the quote that you give from downgrading is probably not the strongest line of argument (though certainly valid as a supporting line) since what BA does in these situation is cancel the ticket and then issues a new ticket in the lower class and refunds the delta (or offers a full refund). You are then ticketed as J class and at that point your booking doesn't point to a downgrade in terms of what the "purchased" ticket is stating, and you will be familiar with the ensuing argument. So the "comparable" conditions on Article 8, rather than Article 10, would be the better approach in my view.
eh??? With due respect, CWS, this is complete and utter tosh of the first order. The regulation speaks of the ticket that was PURCHASED, not of the new ticket that an airline issues after having decided to place the passenger in a lower class of travel. If your line of reasoning was correct, it would suffice for the airline to cancel a ticket whenever a downgrade, cancellation or delay occurs and, hey presto!, nothing is due since the pax does not have a valid travel document anyway.

I am very surprised that you are willing to give even the smallest shred of credibility to such a ridiculous argument.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
I am very surprised that you are willing to give even the smallest shred of credibility to such a ridiculous argument.
I refer you to (a) the bit mentioned in parenthesis at the start of the quote, plus (b) the way BA argue it in their defence submissions, which they repeatedly cut and paste from previous cases (sometimes forgetting to remove the previous case numbers along the way). I totally agree with you that the distinction referred to here is specious, but I'm drawing on what I've seen and what works, namely relying on Article 8 (which BA seemingly finds hard to challenge) rather than Article 10. Maybe there are other experiences out there which are different, in which case it would be good to hear about them.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

It’s perhaps a naïve thought, I know .... but I often find myself wondering just what sort of airline BA could become, if their approach to cases such as this (and indeed many others), were shaped by better principles.

I’m thinking of principles where the start point is how can we resolve a legitimate claim/grievance promptly and pro-actively, and thus meet our obligations, to the customer’s satisfaction ; as distinct from let’s obfuscate and prevaricate as much as possible, in the hope that he/she may give up in frustration and/or despair, and simply goes away.

The current policy may be effective in keeping a little more money in the BA coffers ; a more ethical corporate mindset would, I firmly believe, yield far greater rewards over the longer term.

I like this, too, but the "like" button isn't working for me today.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by HilFly
I like this, too, but the "like" button isn't working for me today.
Seems to be something that happens when you scroll to another page within a thread with the new auto-scroll feature on FT - try opening the relevant page with the number at the bottom of the thread and it typically fixes it for me.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Darling. When I was a much younger Pucci I drank Gordon's Then one day, a man (it's always about men) led me astray. He served me Bombay and I was fixed. Now I really don't know if your mustard is Colman's, Dijon, or Meaux but do tell me what you like. It has nothing to do with the thread except I have not noticed anyone dumping BA because of something important like the gin served aboard, but can you tell me why Fever Tree is so expensive? Him Indoors loves it, but I prefer Champagne aboard.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Unsubscribing from the Mustard/G&T thread. Oh, wait, I hadn’t posted. But I will now

The rest was interesting reading.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I refer you to (a) the bit mentioned in parenthesis at the start of the quote, plus (b) the way BA argue it in their defence submissions, which they repeatedly cut and paste from previous cases (sometimes forgetting to remove the previous case numbers along the way). I totally agree with you that the distinction referred to here is specious, but I'm drawing on what I've seen and what works, namely relying on Article 8 (which BA seemingly finds hard to challenge) rather than Article 10. Maybe there are other experiences out there which are different, in which case it would be good to hear about them.
You say that it works , but haven't referred to any caae where BA has actually won in court using that argument - I would find it hard to believe that it could actually do so

Sounds like yet another BA attempt to try and avoid paying , banking on person not taking it further ( like numerous delay claims )
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Nice Gins

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Darling. When I was a much younger Pucci I drank Gordon's Then one day, a man (it's always about men) led me astray. He served me Bombay and I was fixed. Now I really don't know if your mustard is Colman's, Dijon, or Meaux but do tell me what you like. It has nothing to do with the thread except I have not noticed anyone dumping BA because of something important like the gin served aboard, but can you tell me why Fever Tree is so expensive? Him Indoors loves it, but I prefer Champagne aboard.
Hi Pucci,

I was travelling to Warsaw today so gave me the opportunity to try out the Qantas lounge in T3, the Gin bar was fabulous, the plan was to try a few but the 2nd was so good I stuck with that. The 1st was Martin Miller, don’t remember what it was mixed with but my favourite was the Botanist mixed with an Aperol Ice cube, wedge of lime and Fever tree Aromatic tonic (the pink one) it was so good I had to have 3 just to make sure it was as good as I thought. Also staff were very nice and were happy to recommend different pours.

Last edited by Down the back; Feb 6, 2018 at 3:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You say that it works , but haven't referred to any caae where BA has actually won in court using that argument - I would find it hard to believe that it could actually do so

Sounds like yet another BA attempt to try and avoid paying , banking on person not taking it further ( like numerous delay claims )
In which case I was unclear, it does NOT work. BA uses a standard defence for this area, based on Article 10, which to the best of my knowledge does NOT work, but they recycle almost exactly the same text - and who knows, at some stage in the dim distant past maybe the persuaded a judge somewhere to agree to it. I don't know. What I do know is that it DOES work if the claimant uses Article 8 since BA would then have to demonstrate that Qatar Business is "comparable" transport conditions to BA First. Furthermore there is a clear link from the Cancellation article and the Rerouting article in EC261, there is a cross pointer. See NWIFlyer's post above for some further details as to how they spun this for Upper Class Virgin on the basis of it being their top tier cabin However in the case of Qatar they do have a First product so that line of argument seems very clear that Qatar First is comparable to BA First, Qatar Business would not be comparable.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.