Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any jealousy in BA premium cabins

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flyuk
Been said before, but most staff get to fly standby for a fraction of the price, and often get bounced up to a premium cabin. IIRC BA staff even get free premium cabin flights as part of their pay (I'm not BA staff, but I do fly BA staff). They're more likely to be laughing inside at someone paying £10k for ticket, than being jealous. Having said that, every single staff member I've dealt with, being sat from rear galley jumpseat to to cockpit jumpseat and every class in between has been professional, even through the shitshower of BA "improvements".
Exactly!!!!

Most BA staff got 2 free premium tickets last year for them and nominees.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
The only jealousy I've seen in this aspect was between employees of various hotel brands. Either looking up to someone, like "oooo, she works at the Ritz Carlton!" or, similarly, looking down upon someone, "he just works at a Holiday Inn..."

Same friends of mine, when making a hotel reservation for a trip we all were going on, didn't want a discounted rate (like AAA/auto club/other discounted rate), because (direct quote) "Only the poor people pay that rate."

I chuckle every time I book AAA rates now!
In Riyadh, if you work at the Ritz Carlton, you probably didn't envy recent guests...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by kb9522

I don't know that someone making $72k would qualify for welfare programs, but it may be different in the UK. My point was more that the salary is hardly an incentive for the job.

How much effort someone puts into a job does not determine the value of that job. If that were true, teachers and kitchen staff would be driving Ferraris.

Right, it's always incumbent on someone else to lift you out of your situation... Never should one be expected to show hard work and grit in the face of adversity and lift themselves up.

That is off topic though. The point remains that it seems implausible that FAs would be spiteful toward those who earn more than them. First of all, that would be a LOT of people. Secondly, they have nobody to blame but themselves for their position in life. Thirdly, they get a salary because of the people sitting in those seats.
I'm actually not sure if this post is serious, because it's hard to believe someone with such self confidence can be so ignorant. But anyway assuming it is...

Well I don't know where to start. So I'll stick with the statement that FAs 'only have themselves to blame'. Please go and do some reading on social mobility in the UK and USA, and come back and tell us what you learned.

Yes it's much nicer to presume that you are where you are because you are just that brilliant, but in the UK.and USA at least, unless you are an exception, it's very unlikely to be the case. But everyone believes they are the exception to the rule.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Whatever wow factors new crew (especially younger ones who've only flown easyJet etc before) might have first seeing the Club cabin, this will soon wear off. They see those seats everyday, they eat Club food everyday, they work in the Club galley plating food everyday.

It's a workplace, and if you become obsessed with thinking that all the passengers are millionaires forking out tens of thousands for a ticket you'd probably go crazy very quickly. I'm sure most crew are more preoccupied with plans downroute than getting jealous that people spend a lot of money on business class. Just like a lot of regulars on here will find, business class travel (even First) becomes very mundane. The crew are no different.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have never seen or heard of jealous cabin staff, though I do not doubt that they may exist. Of far greater concern would be the manners of the passengers concerned. I could tell you of celebrities - one of whom was regarded as a National Treasure - who was odious with cabin staff and ground crew alike. I say was as she is now in the great Lounge in the sky. She was universally hated, and having dealt with her I have every sympathy. The word odious does not come close. She was highly successful. Were they aware of her resting place, there are plenty of crew who might feel the need to go dancing one Saturday night. We have had members of the Royal family, celebrities of all kinds who lead lives of the rich and famous (some of whom refuse to pay for Premium anything and who do not cadge nor expect upgrades). I know that this is about jealousy of sitting in Premium cabins - I can only say that when you are at work it's not something that you even think about. I do sometimes feel that the money spent might have been better invested in their general education and manners, but that's just me.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury
I would gladly swap it all for a teleport machine.

I've never had anything obvious whilst travelling BA, just lots of 'so what do you do?' conversations.

Just prior to Christmas on a Garuda Indonesia flight I did get asked by a very sweet member of the cabin crew whether I live in a castle, which has made me question whether I should start dressing down a bit for flights.
The chainmail gives it away.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Scottish Minnie - Only in Weegieville!! :-)

When we flew to Boston a few years back we were outbound in Economy and back in WTP. On boarding at LHR to BOS, the gate agent smiled at us and said 'we've put you in Business class'! Wow - did we not skip down to the plane! When we got on board I noticed the names were different on the BP and we were looking to find our seats when a FA came up to us and said there was a mistake and gave us the alternative BPs with our names on it. The couple who were placed in the CW seats (odious Americans) said to my husband that we had 'stolen' their seats. No we hadn't BA made a cockup! We turned to go find our seats and the Americans turned to us and said rather smugly 'do run along now'. As it happened - we were upgraded to WTP which having only ever travelled Economy and Budget airline, was a very nice experience. (Now I'm doing CW and CE and enjoying it even more and I'm not a business traveller!)

As Pucci Galore says it's all about manners. Having been a chalet girl of 3 seasons - similar kind of job - the old money are absolutely lovely. The nouveaux riches are screaming look at us we've got it made and we can do this that and look at all the designer labels we are wearing!! Odious indeed!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The chainmail gives it away.
That's what I fear, but the weight of it all completely annihilates my baggage allowance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.