Any jealousy in BA premium cabins

Old Jan 31, 18, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Any jealousy in BA premium cabins

I was just watching that BA Documentary the other day (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_British_Airline) and the scene on premium cabin cabin crew training - where they told trainee cabin crew that the cost of a full fare ticket LHR-LAX was c.£10,000. There was then a comment from a new trainee that that fare was a substantial portion of their salary - and they would never have flown in premium cabins.

Now that got me thinking (dont get me wrong I know crew are trained to be professional), but would there be any jealously or resentment if you were a CC serving the F / J cabin (esp amongst mixed fleet where wages are lower?). If it were me, I would probably be thinking - here I am earning what maybe £20k+ in a good year, and you have got these schmucks spending half that on a ticket?
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
I have never encountered any such behaviour.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:11 am

I have never encountered me paying anywhere near £10,000 for a J ticket to LAX.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
But don’t you get such differentials in all walks of life, especially in the service sector? Should planes be any different?
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist View Post
I have never encountered me paying anywhere near £10,000 for a J ticket to LAX.
Not when you can do PHX for £1.5k in F.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
I was just watching that BA Documentary the other day (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_British_Airline) and the scene on premium cabin cabin crew training - where they told trainee cabin crew that the cost of a full fare ticket LHR-LAX was c.£10,000. There was then a comment from a new trainee that that fare was a substantial portion of their salary - and they would never have flown in premium cabins.

Now that got me thinking (dont get me wrong I know crew are trained to be professional), but would there be any jealously or resentment if you were a CC serving the F / J cabin (esp amongst mixed fleet where wages are lower?). If it were me, I would probably be thinking - here I am earning what maybe £20k+ in a good year, and you have got these schmucks spending half that on a ticket?
I've only had it once. F from DME. Asked which desert the FA recommended. Response was "oh we don't get to eat YOUR food. Asking that is like twisting the knife."

And this of course inaccurate, flight crew eat the leftovers all the time!
codex57 and Cymro like this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: LA, AF, SQ, BAEC, OZ...
Agree. You could apply this to eating out in e.g. fancy Michelin star restaurants...
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:20 am
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by JFSV View Post
Agree. You could apply this to eating out in e.g. fancy Michelin star restaurants...
Michelin Star restaurants are now charging $15-20k for a meal?
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:24 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The service sector all over the world has this as a possible issue.
The research suggests that if the immediate leader, (CSD, whatever they are called now) is good, then the service will be good. Whilst good training is a necessary condition for good service, it is not a sufficient condition. Local leadership is key.
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Wasn't the $10k fare a one way walk up in F from JFK-LHR - so a fare that very few people would actually be buying?

Of course such statements fit in with the BA aim to be a premium airline so able to charge an arm and a leg.

I don't think cabin crew are under any sort of illusion that the vast majority of their passengers would have paid anything like that for their ticket and if they are are soon disabused of that notion.

What has shocked a couple of BA crew I've spoke to is the level of savings I can make by starting and ending a trip in places like INV, DUB and CPH
T8191 and Flame3601 like this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
If it were me, I would probably be thinking - here I am earning what maybe £20k+ in a good year, and you have got these schmucks spending half that on a ticket?
In which case I don't think you should consider switching careers.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I have never encountered anything that could be remotely described as ‘jealousy’ whether on BA First (of which my experience dates back to the mid-eighties, and earlier still in economy cabins), or indeed with the many other carriers I have flown In F. The vast majority (and yes, we all know of exceptions, sometimes very notable exceptions) of CC I come across are very professional in their manner and attitude.

There is of course the very real possibility that some CC might be thinking “what a fool you are for spending so much, with absolutely nothing to show for it after a journey lasting just a few hours” (unlike say, a tangible high-value purchase). But the reality is that a good chunk of the general public feel the very same way ! Especially those who have the resources to travel ‘upfront’, but instead choose, happily, to sit down the back.

The documentary you mention - whilst still fairly recent - now comes across as already heavily, heavily outdated in some ways (perhaps almost laughable in today’s context) ; and, even when first shown, there were elements which were downright misleading and disingenuous - not least, the fare price quoted, which was far from representative, as others point out above. That aside, the main point of the new joiners being told of those first class fare levels was (IIRC) to emphasise the fact that passengers paying big money expect and deserve the highest of service levels. Whether or not the message had the desired effect on all concerned is a matter of judgment ........

Your question could equally apply to staff (especially, say, chambermaids) working in five-star hotels where some top suites can cost more for one night than annual earnings of those employed to service and clean them. It was ever thus ..... it’s the way of the world. And whilst it obviously presents a picture of huge inequality, there is always the matter that such job opportunities would not exist at all if the demand for high-end products & services was not there to begin with.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
I have never encountered anything that could be remotely described as ‘jealousy’ whether on BA First (of which my experience dates back to the mid-eighties, and earlier still in economy cabins)
Indeed...these days one is more likely to encounter pity!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:44 am

The only jealousy I detect in BA premium cabins is when we taxi passed aircraft operated by the likes of QR, CX, LX, AF etc....

Old Jan 31, 18, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
The only jealousy I detect in BA premium cabins is when we taxi passed aircraft operated by the likes of QR, CX, LX, AF etc....

Yes, I'm sure a collective moan went up in the BA dormitory!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: