Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any jealousy in BA premium cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ermen
I was just watching that BA Documentary the other day (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_British_Airline) and the scene on premium cabin cabin crew training - where they told trainee cabin crew that the cost of a full fare ticket LHR-LAX was c.£10,000. There was then a comment from a new trainee that that fare was a substantial portion of their salary - and they would never have flown in premium cabins.

Now that got me thinking (dont get me wrong I know crew are trained to be professional), but would there be any jealously or resentment if you were a CC serving the F / J cabin (esp amongst mixed fleet where wages are lower?). If it were me, I would probably be thinking - here I am earning what maybe £20k+ in a good year, and you have got these schmucks spending half that on a ticket?
I worked in a hotel where the VAT portion of a guests seven night stay was more than my annual salary. And I had a good wage for my job. Apart from a few 'what if' thoughts, I didn't resent this in the least.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
IIRC wasn't the cost of the ticket quoted when the trainees were being skilled in the art of Club service? As to whether the staff member quoted a supposed fare for Club or F is unclear?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by kb9522
How much effort someone puts into a job does not determine the value of that job. If that were true, teachers and kitchen staff would be driving Ferraris.
Salaries do not determine the value of someone's job IMO.

Salaries merely determine the financial value of someone's job, which is not the entire value of the job.

A good example: I am paid a good amount but I value my job as 'almost below zero'...
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Salaries do not determine the value of someone's job IMO.

Salaries merely determine the financial value of someone's job, which is not the entire value of the job.

A good example: I am paid a good amount but I value my job as 'almost below zero'...
Bringing it back to the original context of the exchange... No, sorry, being a very proud waitress doesn't make that job any more valuable.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:46 pm

Couldn’t be less jealous, it’s my job. I’m more jealous of people that don’t have to spend their entire lives on an aircraft.
BadgerBoi and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ermen
If it were me, I would probably be thinking - here I am earning what maybe £20k+ in a good year, and you have got these schmucks spending half that on a ticket?
A lot of them are on Avios
A lot of them haven't paid for their tickets... (e.g. company travel)
A lot of people haven't spent anything like $10k on a ticket
A lot of people encounter those who spend $10k all the time (e.g. jewellery shop staff)
etc.

Regardless, I strongly doubt there is much much jealously involved on BA or any other airlines in premium cabins. I certainly haven't noticed it. I doubt a lot of staff members would be 'immature' enough to be fussed or jealous as such.

However, I doubt anyone would be particularly impressed with stuck up passengers who look down upon others on the basis of what they do or their salaries etc.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Envy and jealousy seem to have become interchangeable in usage. Fair enough, language evolves....

But is confusion between the two emotions a feature of English on both side of the Atlantic?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Been said before, but most staff get to fly standby for a fraction of the price, and often get bounced up to a premium cabin. IIRC BA staff even get free premium cabin flights as part of their pay (I'm not BA staff, but I do fly BA staff). They're more likely to be laughing inside at someone paying £10k for ticket, than being jealous. Having said that, every single staff member I've dealt with, being sat from rear galley jumpseat to to cockpit jumpseat and every class in between has been professional, even through the shitshower of BA "improvements".

Last edited by flyuk; Feb 1, 2018 at 12:52 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MFCC
Couldn’t be less jealous, it’s my job. I’m more jealous of people that don’t have to spend their entire lives on an aircraft.
Happy to take over for you
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:31 am

An interesting read. If I had to make a guess I would suggest the average FA is far from jealous/envious/whatever of the average premium customer.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I wish I could throw down $10k / £10k on a ticket without a care in the world, but on the other hand, there's no way I would ever do that even if I could afford it knowing what I know from here and experience. I begrudge paying £400 for an economy ticket to the US and will find ways to save even a few £s at the expense of time

​​​​​​I'm sure there must be some jealously. Most of us do dream about having so much disposable cash that you can do what you want whenever you want regardless of whether we openly admit to this.
Sure some find these people completely full of themselves, pretentious or whatever.
​​​​​​
Many of those I've seen in the CCR probably earn more than me in a week or over breakfast.
As long as they don't rub it in my face, or someone else's, fair play to them.

​​​
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
I absolutely get that, even though I'm nowhere near my early 20s. Even now, in transcon first on US carriers, "How did you get up here?" My reply, "The old fashioned way, I paid for it."

(Or, "who do you work for?" assuming I'm an employee. A friend told me that if you wear shorts or jeans, they will know you're not an employee because employees and their dependents aren't allowed to wear those in premium cabins. One wonders why one should have to do all that just for the crew to treat you with respect, as you should be treating them, too.)

Slightly off topic, I know...
I'm in my 30s but baby-faced, been flying in premium cabins since my mid-20s, usually very casually dressed and with a little rucksack. The crew on every airline are generally very chatty and informal with me, I think because they can see I have the status etc but am clearly not on the corporate dime or a trustafarian/sugar baby. The odd looks usually come from fellow pax, especially the well-dressed ones passing me as they head to the rear! I've had the occasional curt comments and best of all egotistical suits trying to take my seat because they like it more than their own, and can't imagine I pulled rank to get 1A or whatever it is.

Last night I was the only pax in J on a pretty full A3 ATH-TLV, which I really enjoyed as my brethren do love a bit of self-upgrading and rushing to be first on, first off - lots of peering through the curtain and audible gossiping from the suited gents in the front row of Y, and they all got held back while I disembarked...
T8191 and theultimateflyer like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
I don't think I've ever encountered any kind of envy or attitude from BA staff - albeit it I've only flown J. I think any of the BA crew I've encountered are professional enough not to let their true feelings show even if they felt differently.

I have, however, had filthy looks from fellow passengers and one occasion where I simply didn't let it go.
We'd connected from Glasgow onto a transatlantic flight. We were seated in the first J seats when a couple who had been seated in the row behind us on the Glasgow flight boarded. They were standing alongside our seats due to a hold up ahead when the female said to her husband "that pair were on the Glasgow flight, how the h*ll did they get those seats?" Rightly or wrongly I was so annoyed I stood up, tapped her husband on the shoulder just as they were moving forward and said "you can tell your wife the answer to her question is that we paid for the seats. She can do the same anytime she feels like it". Childish maybe but I couldn't say nothing and she was too far ahead for me to get to her directly.
If there is a J cabin to the left of the main door I try to get seats there to avoid the looks (you see more of it on certain routes") as people pass. I shouldn't feel this way but I do so it's the best way to manage it.
FEMW likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I've definitely seen the green eyed monster from fellow pax. Though I've no idea what journey they've been through before boarding, and I'll never see them again so water off a duck's back and all that...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As Elders I suppose we’re seen differently ... enjoying their twilight years after fairly successful careers, and spending the kids’ inheritance!

As I’m always in the aisle seat in J, out of deference to Lady T, I do try desperately to avoid eye contact with those headed for the back as I sip my PDB, or just read my Kindle. Can’t say I’ve ever heard pax comments, though.

As for the CC, a cheery greeting before they go on auto-greeting mode seems to set the tone. Not sure they really care who or what we are ... we’re just another couple of pax to be fed and watered, and kept safe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.