Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Nations Rugby Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
On the basis we’re still hearing about 1966 I presume we’ve another 40 years of reliving 2003?

I think it will come down to the final round yet again and England being at home may prove decisive.

To keep it on topic I’ll be flying from Dublin-Paris via London on BA on Fri.
Isn't it funny how nations who haven't won a World Cup (or even reached a final) don't want to hear about their rivals who have.

There have been 8 rugby world cups (if we include 87). England have 1 x Pool Stage, 3 x Quarter Final, 1 x Semi-Final, 2 x Final, 1 x Champions. Not bad !

Oh and in recent years we have won 22 out of 23 Tests. that includes two Six Nations championships, one Grand Slam and whitewash tours of Australia and Argentina.

So we can talk about history or present day, we're not doing too badly.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Seeing EngvWal and ScovIta this year. BA for first game and KLM/Alitalia for 2nd.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just Eng v Wal and Eng v Ire for me this year and the joy of South Wetern Railway to get me there.

Application in for RWC2019 England and Kobe packs. Planning on going out twice for the middle 10 days or so of group stages and then for the final weekend (no doubt by some crazy routing to get some TP and keep costs down a little).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I went to the ITAvENG game a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it, so going again. Have had to fly with Vueling to FLR from LGW as there were 5 of us and my Family and Friends slots were all used up, and as reflected above the cash costs to FCO were eyewatering.

Not sure if anyone has been before, but make sure you get into the ground early. You think priority boarding with BA is bad, wait until you queue to get into the Stadio Olimpico. We missed the first 20 minutes of the game last time. It's not like Twickenham as there is segregation, so you have to queue to get into the correct entrance. Lots of people in wrong queues and refused entry. It might also have something to do with drinking in the bar just outside the ground a little too long?

I've also got 2 tickets going spare, as we've had some drop outs, and we are down to 3 attendees.

I'm also going to the ENGvIRL game, and really looking forward to that one.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger

Not sure if anyone has been before, but make sure you get into the ground early. You think priority boarding with BA is bad, wait until you queue to get into the Stadio Olimpico. We missed the first 20 minutes of the game last time. It's not like Twickenham as there is segregation, so you have to queue to get into the correct entrance. Lots of people in wrong queues and refused entry. It might also have something to do with drinking in the bar just outside the ground a little too long?
Having been to the Stadio Olimpico several times, the best advice I can give is get there early.....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Do they have 25 year old Talisker in the lounge? (points to anyone who gets that reference!)
Talisker? Or the Talisker Talisker?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
I'm off out to Rome this weekend to see ITAvENG. Flying out from LCY to FLR on Friday then back the same route next Tuesday. Getting the train from FLR to Rome which seemed easy enough!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by davm666
Just Eng v Wal and Eng v Ire for me this year and the joy of South Wetern Railway to get me there.

Welcome to Flyertalk davm666, and welcome to the BA forum, and an extra welcome for your background ! I've also been offered tickets for England Wales but I suspect I'll be on an aircraft instead.... FT is just like rugby, pretty boys at the back with their dazzling one liners (at least they think they are dazzling), ugly old sods like me sprawling in the mud and a whole bunch of chancers trying to get over the line.....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just managed to bag tickets for the Calcutta Cup match in this morning's public release - which is fortunate, given I'd bought the BA flights & hotel the moment the fixtures were released a year ago.

Must admit, I think that could be the crunch match for an England grand slam....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just managed to bag tickets for the Calcutta Cup match in this morning's public release - which is fortunate, given I'd bought the BA flights & hotel the moment the fixtures were released a year ago.

Must admit, I think that could be the crunch match for an England grand slam....
I am extremely confident England will head into this game having won two from two, but Scotland? I think this game hinges on what Scotland do vs Wales in Cardiff and home against France (Fofana out of the entire tournament). They could win both as easily as lose both. They have added pressure on them now that they are fancied and therefore the media and public expect them to perform.

We'll see, but as an Englishman I hope both sides are 2 from 2 and fly into each other.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:34 am

I was in Rome for the first ever Italy vs England 6 Nations game. There were riot police EVERYWHERE. On all Metro stations, all the way down to the ground from the metro stations and surrounding the ground.

They thought English rugby fans were football fans on steroids. They simply couldn't believe how unaggressive, polite and well behaved the England fans were.

The next day the front page of the dell sport was the title 'The Gentleman of England'
ThatT1Feeling and davm666 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Day trip to Paris on Saturday...(shhh on AF/Hop!) followed by 3 home games. I'll quite happily save my euros and watch the finale on the telly on Paddy's Day as it's all about RWC 2019 from here in. You'll never beat the Irish!
MickV likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Going to Rome again (staying in Florence this time) as well as Paris. Need to start thinking about the RWC ticket application too...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by dombo17uk
For those Rugby loving FT fans, I’m sure you’re all getting excited about the competition which starts on Saturday, with England’s first game played in Rome on Sunday.

As is customary, many of us will travel to support the team. I’m travelling out on Friday from LHR. Luckily for those of you intending on enjoying the “tranquility” (!) of the Galleries North lounge at T5, the advance party will already be out in Rome so it’s just myself and a chum on the 1245 to LIN (connecting to FCO grrrr!). Having said that, my chum has not ecperienced a BA lounge, or indeed any other lounge, before so his etiquette may be a little below par. I will ensure he only consumes the one bottle of Grey Goose and leaves enough bacon rolls for you!

Safe flying peeps and remember to Swing Low....!
I am very jealous as I will be hauled up in Sheraton Skyline LHR during the Italy game. I will then have 3 weeks in Florida missing the Welsh and the Scotland game. Looking like no chance of getting it out there.

Enjoy tbe games
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:27 am

Also going to Rome using the LCY to Florence route.

door to door should be quicker than flying direct (and 1/3 of the price)
ibbitsc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.