Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a bike - airport advice log

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I would also add that 2 rolls of cling film and lots of tape does a good job if airport wrapping is not available. I would absolutely recommend that over no wrapping as it's saved my box contents from being scattered all over the world in transit on numerous occasions!

Also second the advice above regarding doing the final taping at the airport. Not only for security scans on entry (e.g. Iran and Kyrgyzstan) where the X-ray machine is too small for a whole box but also because often I have been asked to prove that I have deflated the tyres (e.g. India and Bolivia).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
EDINBURGH EDI
- terminal design. Doors are wide enough but the anti ram bollards are difficult with a bike bag on a trolley.
- departure no problem. Check in as normal and bikes go to oversize bag drop at far end of the check in desks, closest to international arrivals. No airline has ever weighed bikes as they won’t fit on scales at check-in.
- arrivals. Bikes come off with the rest of the luggage at Belt 6

Geneva GVA
- departures. I agree with OP’s comments, check in staff are very strict on their made up version of the rules. Worth having relevant bits of policy printed out or bookmarked. We were sent to customer service desk to sort out our bags a few years ago.
- arrivals. No problem but the hire car bus is a pain.
Prospero likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Interesting thread. Some day I will take my bike overseas but haven’t got round to doing it yet.

Domestically it’s so easy to take the train, you can cycle to the station and don’t need to disassemble/package your bike.

I think a taxi to the airport would be the only practical way to do this. My public transport trip to LHR is bus-tube-HEX (or bus-tube change at Green Park, which would be a pain carrying a bike) so not really feasible.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Bikes are allowed on HEX. From the conditions of carriage:

Bicycles are carried subject to these conditions of carriage. They are not carried on trains leaving Heathrow between 7.30 and 10.00 or Paddington between 16.30 and 19.00 except on Saturdays and Sundays.
There is also provision on HEX to buy a second seat for large baggage.

To add a few more resource details, here is the HAL site for cyclists:
https://www.heathrow.com/transport-a...ctions/cycling

and I've attached HAL's PDF of the cycle routes to Heathrow.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
LHR cycle-paths.pdf (1.67 MB, 122 views)
layz, adrianlondon and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread can now be accessed via the BA Forum Dashboard

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:25 am

From the TSA website:

CO2 Cartridge

Carry On Bags:
No
Checked Bags:
No
Except for personal medical oxygen cylinders, you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder onboard a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the TSA officer that the cylinder is empty.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:35 am

The BA website is quite clear about CO2 cartridges:

​​​​​​​If you'd like to take any small, non-flammable gas cartridges with you that contain carbon dioxide or another suitable non-flammable, non-toxic, non-corrosive gas, please contact us to get approval.

You can then take the following items in your hand or checked baggage:
  • max. two small cartridges per person, fitted into a self-inflating safety device, such as a life jacket or vest
  • only one device per person
  • max. four cartridges up to 50ml water capacity for other devices
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:42 am

I haven't taken my bike on a flight since 2007! Back then, on a flight from LHR to STR (Stuttgart) on BA I rode to the airport, took the pedals off, deflated the tyres slightly (I don't believe there's any scientific reason for this!) and turned the handlebars. No wrapping, no box. The oversize luggage people simply wheeled the bike where they needed to, and seemed happy to do so. I believe not wrapping/boxing a bike isn't allowed any more. Pity, as I'm sure it's easier for everyone if a bike looks and acts like a bike.

Thinking about it, deflating the tyres and turning the handlebars does help stop the baggage handlers riding it around their warehouses
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Can’t find a statement from BA
It is on the BA website, hiding in plain sight under "Baggage Essentials":

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-restrictions
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Interesting. When I started doing this I asked at T5 check in (once) and was told it was fine as long as there were only two of the smaller ones, which is basically what the FAA website above says. Didn’t bother asking again as it seemed like quite a knowledgable answer.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Anyone out there that has experience with if you can get away with a Brompton as your carryon?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a padded soft bag that I used to take my bike(s) on long haul flights all the time. It used to be that bikes were classed as sporting equipment and taken for free on BA (back in the day when you could only join BAEC with a full fair ticket etc.). The bag is smaller than the ones usually found in bike shops, which makes it easier to get in and out of cars, but with no wheels a PITA to carry around - but I had carried it on the Underground, it just is hard work, but the beer at the end of your journey will be well earned!

For my mountain bike(s) I used to have a fork spacers (get one from a bike shop, they used in the packing of new bikes), and for the rear a piece of plumbing polly pipe cut down for the rear drop outs with a quick release. Take off the rear mech and zip tie to the polly pipe. The frame use foam to protect (such as insulation for water pipes), unbolt the handlebar and zip tie it to the forks and throw in a load of bubble wrap, wheels each side of the frame, and clothes into the bag for extra protection and to pad it out.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
It used to be that bikes were classed as sporting equipment and taken for free on BA.
What makes you think that BA's policy has changed? It hasn't. I have taken my bike free on BA at least a dozen times.

"You can take non-motorised bicycles of up to 190cm (75in) in length as part of your checked baggage, provided they are packed in a protective bicycle bag." ---BA Baggage Essentials

Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
What makes you think that BA's policy has changed? It hasn't. I have taken my bike free on BA at least a dozen times.

"You can take non-motorised bicycles of up to 190cm (75in) in length as part of your checked baggage, provided they are packed in a protective bicycle bag." ---BA Baggage Essentials
It used it be additional to your checked baggage allowance, now it is part of it.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Interesting. When I started doing this I asked at T5 check in (once) and was told it was fine as long as there were only two of the smaller ones, which is basically what the FAA website above says. Didn’t bother asking again as it seemed like quite a knowledgable answer.
At checkin for BA at BRU yesterday, this came to mind when looking at the quite exhaustive list of forbidden items listed on the counter. CO2 cylinders were specifically enumerated with both the size and quantity limit, as above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.