Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earliest bag drop times away from the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Earliest bag drop times away from the UK

Good evening all,

I am wondering what variations there are in earliest bag drop times for BA flights returning to the UK? I guess it all depends on when the desks become manned by BA contract staff, which no doubt is influenced by the number of BA flights (although that might not affect earliest bag drop for a specific flight?). I have a few Gulf-based flights coming up departing just after midnight so it would be very useful to drop the bag off earlier than 3 hours and spend time in the lounge. I am a BA Silver.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Manage my booking --> checking in --> at airport will tell you.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Normally it says in Manage My Booking / Check-in /Other ways to check in what the opening times for check-in are. I say normally since at least one FTer did not have (or could not find) this information on their MMB whereas it was present on another traveller using the same flight. In the absence of that information, it is usually 3 hours for longhaul for check-in to open (and closing 1 hour before departure). For shorthaul it is usually 2 hours, but it can be 90 minutes in smaller airports, with check-in closing 45 minutes before departure.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Normally it says in Manage My Booking / Check-in /Other ways to check in what the opening times for check-in are. I say normally since at least one FTer did not have (or could not find) this information on their MMB whereas it was present on another traveller using the same flight. In the absence of that information, it is usually 3 hours for longhaul for check-in to open (and closing 1 hour before departure). For shorthaul it is usually 2 hours, but it can be 90 minutes in smaller airports, with check-in closing 45 minutes before departure.
Many thanks all, I have found it! Very cunningly hidden! Saying 3 hours for both my flights so guess I will need to keep myself amused well into the evening before heading to the airport!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If there's only one flight, then the 3 hours applies. If there are multiple BA flights from that airport, you may well be able to drop off earlier because the BA counters will be open for earlier flights. It's not guaranteed, but often works.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Yes if there is an earlier flight (and you really want to be at the lounge that early) then you might be able to check in your bag during that period - even better if the two check-in periods overlap.

They may say no if it's not a big airport because they'd have rules over whether they're allow to permit 'extra baggage', and also if it's busy then they may turn you away in favour of those that need to check-in, obviously.
Also you're probably going to have better luck at First or Club check-in, in that order, than Economy.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:15 am

Depends where you are in the Gulf, but I'd have thought there are much nicer places to spend a few hours than the lounge if you have time to kill. A decent meal before heading to the airport would be my choice, and then straight to sleep on the flight.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
If there's only one flight, then the 3 hours applies. If there are multiple BA flights from that airport, you may well be able to drop off earlier because the BA counters will be open for earlier flights. It's not guaranteed, but often works.
Certainly not guaranteed. I arrived at GVA 4 hours before my flight earlier this month and, despite the desks being staffed and with no customers at all at any of them, I was told to go away in no uncertain terms and come back in an hour, despite travelling CE.

Re the Gulf airports, I'd echo other comments about getting a nice meal in town, then heading to the airport maybe 2.5 hours before departure and then sleeping on the flight from wheels-up. Some of the lounges aren't anything special in my experience
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:25 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I had just this question last week about an early bag drop at LAX. As it turned out I didn't face the problem, but this post just pointed me to the "hidden" spot on MMB where BA pretty much buries the information. I then remembered something that had happened to me at LHR a few years ago that bears out what is said on the website. I had shown up early for a WT+ flight to LAX and had gone to the Business Class check in desk desk with my bags only to be told (over 3 hours before the flight) that I couldn't check in. I told the person that I was OW Ruby and I thought that I could. As it turned out BA Customer Service had screwed up after I talked to them on the phone and neglected to put my AA number on the booking so my status didn't show. She then put my AA number on the booking and smiled and said she'd be happy to check me in. So it's all about class of service or status. Here's the breakdown. Hope this helps others.

Cabin or Executive Club tierOpening times

From 03:30 on the day of departure
  • First
  • Club World
  • Club Europe
  • Executive Club Gold, Silver and Bronze Members
From 3 hours before the flight departure time, but not before the earliest opening time of 03:30
  • World Traveller
  • World Traveller Plus
  • Euro Traveller

Last edited by BLG; Jan 26, 2018 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.