Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is BA First really like?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
The food was good, the second meal (salmon app, seafood pieces with bisque) from HND was excellent.
Not looking to pick holes as it sounds like you had a great flight, but catering out of HND on almost every airline is great - probably the world's best, IMO. Try a BA F flight ex-IAD and see if you can still say anything you ate on board was excellent (not intended as a criticism of IAD pre-flight dining).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Worth having a look at this thread in the Dashboard:

Some Tips on Maximising the BA First Experience

READ THIS FIRST - The Ultimate Guide to all things British Airways
GentleGiant likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Just now got to decide on BA or AA as the price is the same for Business!
Presumably AA is much cheaper as it doesn't charge seat reservation fees?
I'd prefer BA slightly for its double beds, and would suggest considering taking the risk that these remain empty until OLCI.

Of course you could do AA one way, BA the other then report back with your thoughts?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navylad

“Proper airlines” haha, what makes them proper and BA not other than your opinion of whether you’d enjoy their F product exactly? Genuinely curious as you use of the phrase.
Variously the food, the drink, the seat, the lounges, the amenity kits, the ground handling (missed LH from my list, let alone AF which I haven't experienced first hand). BA, overall, compares unfavourably to all. In fact of all the airlines offering long haul F BA is bottom of the list with AA now that UA have ditched Global First. Maybe only Kuwait and El Al offer a weaker product.

It is however the worlds best business class as others have noted.
710 77345 and hugolover like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Variously the food, the drink, the seat, the lounges, the amenity kits, the ground handling (missed LH from my list, let alone AF which I haven't experienced first hand). BA, overall, compares unfavourably to all. In fact of all the airlines offering long haul F BA is bottom of the list with AA now that UA have ditched Global First. Maybe only Kuwait and El Al offer a weaker product.

It is however the worlds best business class as others have noted.
Ah ok, so nothing that doesn’t make it a proper airline at all then, just doesn’t suit what you personally are looking for or your personal tastes and indeed the rates of others on here too but as this thread and many others have shown it suits others.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:46 pm

We have always enjoyed it and always have a good sleep
the crew are generally great with a bit of personality that they adapt to each individual only once had an indifferent crew did the service by the book but no sense of personal touch coming back from hong kong
much prefer cathay pacific F great bed food and personal service
but our best experience was with air france where the transfer process at CDG knocks the abysmal transit process at heathrow out of the park
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Really appreciate everyone's input

In the end I have booked

BA B787-9 First LHR to LAX
AA 77W First LAX to LHR

All for £1,800 per person after a £200 discount.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Really appreciate everyone's input

In the end I have booked

BA B787-9 First LHR to LAX
AA 77W First LAX to LHR

All for £1,800 per person after a £200 discount.
Exfellent, do use the thread linked above and have an amazing flight
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:35 pm
Suspended

I am just off a really nice LHR-EWR flight in F. Only 5 in the cabin on a B777 - totally wonderful crew. Couldn't have been nicer and more attentive.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by Nicoolio; Jan 12, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
We just did LHR-ATL-LHR in BA First on the 787.

On the way to Atlanta, CCR was packed and we had trouble finding an empty seat. We had breakfast there, the food was basic and good hotel standard, service was rushed, and most of the dining area was dirty as they hadn't cleaned the tables yet. Toilets were dirty and we eventually left early to the satellite terminal that was quiet and we actually ended up in the ordinary lounge there that felt nicer.

On the flight service was attentive and everything worked out quite fine, not special or memorable but nothing to complain about. I felt like BA had cut new releases on IFE a bit since the last time on BA. Seat was ok, obviously not on the same planet as what airlines like Etihad, Emirates and Singapore are now doing but more in the category "spacious modern business class".

On the way back, in Atlanta there was only Club ATL and check-in lady already warned that it's not a First class lounge and not a proper airline lounge either. Flight started well, stewardess replaced my champagne before it was even empty -- although now I think it only happened because she had already poured extra ones.. It took ages before they started the service despite being a late evening flight, it was as inattentive as it can get. When I got my ice cream for dessert, it was totally frozen and took 20 minutes to melt enough that one could even try to eat it. Galley area was dirty with food and trash around the surfaces and floor.

On the way back we visited the new T3 Qantas lounge for the first time and it's definitely better than CCR.

So tl; dr; it was OK to get from A to B but it didn't feel First class. I got enough Tier points to keep my BA status for another year (honestly I don't keep it to fly BA but for Oneworld) and champagne on board was still great. Maybe it was worth the few hundred it cost more than flying Club World but had I paid real First class fees, I would have felt rather disappointed. I don't mind flying BA First again, or even BA Club World, if it makes sense for the routing and price, but they would never be my first choice if there was many options.
The biggest issue BA seems to have is consistency of service.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
despite the many comments on here, if you are not blaze about it, it should be very good.

I recently flew with a friend who has very little experience of flying in any premium cabins and he thought First was amazing. he thought food was restaurant quality, service was superb and he loved the seat. I was in a row behind him (also in F) and thought it was all ok ish. so it depends on how blaze you are about the experience and your mood on the day (which impacts the crew's mood and ability / willingness to chat and engage with you).

re types, 744 nose is special. 380 has biggest F seat and feels most spacious. plenty of discussion on other threads as others have said.

I wouldn't turn down F for pre-check as nice as pre-check is.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our only BA F experience was summarised here >>> So this is BA First?

We still can't be bothered to try it again
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Two friends loved their first First flights to and from JFK earlier this month, especially as they used Avios and an Amex 2-4-1.

I know that I may well have picked up service failings, if any happened, which they did not, but that does not matter.

Even a bad flight in First, and I have had the odd one, is still good with the better, seat and champagne/wine, IMHO.

I have not travelled in First on any other airlines but can accept that BA's First may not as good as many or all of them. If I do not travel with them and am generally easily pleased, that is fine IMHO. YMMV.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by navylad

that really depends on the price differential, if they were the same price then sure but they are not.
How do you know what prices the OP saw?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If you haven’t flown F before you’ll think it’s amazing. If you have, especially on proper airlines like CX, JL, NH, EY, QR, SQ etc. then it won’t be very impressive at all.
Sweetness - he's going to Los Angeles. Fat lot of use this lot will be on that route, true or otherwise.

Dear OP - Suffice to say that F is not what it once was when we used to cook all the food on board as opposed to just heat-and-serve. All that said, I doubt that there is one person here who is so fastidious that they would refuse an upgrade there if offered. Enjoy your flight - at least your crew will not be geriatric as mine were in December on AAnother airline on that route. I have no problem with seniority, I have loads of problems with people who appear disinterested in their jobs and forget two things out of three constantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.